Immigration Interviews - Focus on Communication and Family

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
Great post El_Uruguayo!

I forgot to mention that I also took Spanish lessons and sent the receipts in too and my husband took English lessons for a year and we sent his monthly receipts along with a recommendation from his Teacher.

And I also wrote a 9 page letter telling them anything I could think of...I went on and on!! I told them all about what our plans for the future were and that we planned to have kids and how many etc.

I agree that you need to fill the holes your application may have. Look at it from the outside or have someone else look at it and try to find questions and then you can fill them in before you send your package in.

As for Cathay - I have personally met them and believe they are a great couple and you can tell right away from meeting them!! My heart breaks for them that they have been denied!

If you can go and be at the interview - GO!! It can't hurt!!

viajar

Feb 19, 2009
Twillis

Just to let you know in our CAIPS notes, (for a visitors visa) age difference was listed as in your case. However, our permanent resident visa was approved without an interview.

Johana

May 24, 2006
I've mentioned before that an age difference does not automatically mean an interview is required. My husband received his visa with no interview and I am older than him.

That being said I don't know if Sylvie was around in 2007/2008 when I applied and his application was processed. I'd like to think that the information I provided did in fact prove a genuine relationship. Along with the standard phone and cell phone bills I included about 150 emails. This showed that I did communicate in Spanish with my husband and that he communicated with me in English. They ranged from the normal hey how are you, how was your day, how was work to plans for trips, for the wedding, for him moving here, for him settling in here etc.

Cathay,
I think your case just reiterates that the Immigration Officer's are not questioning that you are in a genuine relationship - you went to great lengths to prove that. They are questioning your husband's motives.

For all those reading this that will be applying/appealing/reapplying it might help to keep in mind that it is your spouse's intentions (the one being sponsored) that they are going to question. So what can you put in your application that shows genuineness on their part. If it means your spouse has to go once a week or more to an internet cafe because they don't have a computer to email you maybe it is worth it. Or have them write you letters. What better proof than something in your spouse's handwriting.

Barbie38

Apr 15, 2009
Johana,

All great comments! It is something we all forget that it needs to seem genuine from both sides of the relationship and really we are proving their 'love' for us is genuine and their intentions are genuine. The immigration officer is responsible for ensuring this person they are granting a visa is genuine and only protecting our best interest. I many cases I'm sure the relationships are genuine and it does take more time to convince immigration of this in ways of appeals etc....

And as usual with this in mind we are all thinking of what more we could have included in our application to show our spouse's interests are genuine!

lisa.jensen

Mar 4, 2008
I received my denial letter, via email, on Thursday. They say that because Fernando has no papers prior to 1987, they do not believe he is who he says he is. He was 5 years old in 1987. Ridiculous......they think he defrauded someone at the age of five? Also, Sylvie thinks that Fernando does not know enough about me. Here is what she said:

A foreign national shall not be considered a spouse if the marriage is not genuine and was entered into primarily for the purpose of acquiring any status or privilege under the act. As a result, you are not considered to be a member of the family class. I am not satisfied that the relationship is bonafide. You were unable to answer specific questions about your sponsors life. In conclusion, I believe that this relationship was entered into, primarliy, for the purpose of acquiring any status or privilege under the act. Unable to establish your identity, I am not satisfied that you entered into your marriage in conformity with the revelent laws of D.R.

By the way, I sent phone bills, photos, 100 pages of chats. I will ask Fernando to keep his phone cards now. I did not know that would be considered proof. No one form my family was at the wedding. They had prior plans for that week.

Last edited by a moderator:

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
Birth certificate

What he has to do is to go for DNA test to prove that he is the
son of the parents who appear in the Birth Certificate, I would suggest
to do so in Clinica Abreu where most consulates do their cases.

Then when I have all those paper together I will Appeal the case
I will have someone to review all your paper work before sending, I will avoid
sending too much paper. He better make a letter explaining so, this issue is very normal in DR. most of the time people that come from the country side
was a nightmare to go to downtown to get their child papers for the lack of time and transportation in some cases their grand parents or uncles had to do it on behalf of parents.

**Get a letter from your parents explaining why they were unable to go
to the most import day of your life. that might help too.

I got the feeling that he didnt get a long legalized birth certificate from "Cancilleria" this place will be the place to start they will give him
one legalized and explaining that he was declared late.

Do not add more photos, letters, or email. I wouldnt attack that lady she is just doing her job but it make sense that she doesnt know about cases that
many Dominican get declared late.

PS: There are many baseball players that goes in the same road. age doubt
and identity issues because the birth certificate

You can straigh that out but make sure not to be rude to the immigration officer they are doing their job.

I received my denial letter, via email, on Thursday. They say that because Fernando has no papers prior to 1987, they do not believe he is who he says he is. He was 5 years old in 1987. Ridiculous......they think he defrauded someone at the age of five? Also, Sylvie thinks that Fernando does not know enough about me. Here is what she said:

A foreign national shall not be considered a spouse if the marriage is not genuine and was entered into primarily for the purpose of acquiring any status or privilege under the act. As a result, you are not considered to be a member of the family class. I am not satisfied that the relationship is bonafide. You were unable to answer specific questions about your sponsors life. In conclusion, I believe that this relationship was entered into, primarliy, for the purpose of acquiring any status or privilege under the act. Unable to establish your identity, I am not satisfied that you entered into your marriage in conformity with the revelent laws of D.R.

By the way, I sent phone bills, photos, 100 pages of chats. I will ask Fernando to keep his phone cards now. I did not know that would be considered proof. No one form my family was at the wedding. They had prior plans for that week.

Last edited by a moderator:

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
Interesting suggestion Homer.

All applicants who were declared more than 90 days after their birth have to submit additional proof of identity documents including hospital records, baptismal records etc.

That is the norm. If there was absolutely no way to get those documents then Homers suggestion might be your only option.

As for not being able to answer questions about you....I suppose you would need more clarification on exactly what questions he couldn't answer before appealing.

Generally speaking a married couple should know everything about each other, even if they are separated. Your chat records, pics etc are good proof but it really does all come down to how they can answer those questions.

If there are other concerns like identity etc, then probably the combination of these things lead to her decision.

If you make an appeal, you will get a copy of your CAIPS notes and your visa file back. You can then reapply with the correct identity documents and a stronger application.

Best of Luck!
Sangria

viajar

Feb 19, 2009
Lisa

We had a similar problem with identity. We went to the hospital where my wife was born and found the birth registration. We sent that with our documents. It is not a birth cirtificate but the hospital records. Perhaps you can find that.