Import a vessel from usa

Cornelis

Sep 29, 2011
HAVING SAID THAT, your situation is different than mine was. Mine was a US documented vessel, meaning it was entitled to all rights and courtesies of any other vessel of the US. Because you are not a US citizen, you will not be able to get US documentation even though buying the boat in the US. You should investigate whether your country has something similar.
you could register the vessel with the state where you buy it, but state registration does not have the same meaning as national documentation.

Ken, Its a bit complicated I think, to buy the USA vessel in Panama and get it registrated in Europe.
Obviously there is no CE mark on it too. (Nordhavn)
I read what you say and that it can only be National documented as long as a USA citizen ownes it.

The boat's price is not worth to set up a Delaware Inc. unless that has other benefits as well. -dont think so-

The only escape could maybe be the Dutch Antilles if I cant get it DR flagged for whatever reason.

It should be a fun thing, you know, and everything is always needless complicated.

Best greetings,

Cornelis

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Also its just strange that the country has no decent set up for yachtowners. They do miss a lot this way.

You will find that the DR is less friendly toward yacht owners than most countries. For example, I have spent time in most of the countries of the Caribbean and Venezuela, as well as the Bahamas and Turks and Caicos, and this is the only one where it was necessary to get clearance from the Port Commander before leaving the harbor, even if only going for a day sail.

Drugs and Dominicans trying to go to Puerto Rico are given as reasons. I suppose there is some value re the latter. If a vessel pulls up anchor or drops the mooring and goes out of the harbor, the authorities want to know in advance that the vessel has not been stolen or hijacked by Dominicans wanting to go across the Mona Passage to Puerto Rico.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I am gonna ask the seller or the broker to keep the boat registrated there if I have no choice.

If it is a US vessel that is now in Panama, it is likely you will find that it is US documented. It is rare that an American planning to cruise to other countries does not document the vessel for the protection that gives.

If that is the case, the documentation cannot be transferred to you because you are not from the US.

People from Scotland that flew to the DR to buy my boat had the same problem.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If it is a US flag vestival (documented), why don't you see if it can be registered in Panama? You can always change flags in the future, but I think that would be better than trying to bring an unregistered vessel.

Also, why not go tio Panama and bring it bacik yourself. It would be a great experience. Many vessels leave here planning on going to Panama and through the canal to the Pacific.

Fly to Panama, take possession of the boat, live on it while you are familiarizing yourself with her and waiting for the best period for the trip to the DR. Then explore Columbia, Venezuela, the islands, on your way back. That is what I would do.

Also, it would be easier to outfit the boat with whatever is needed in Panama than it will be here.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Another alternative, form US corporation or LLC and register in corporate name as US registered vessel.

Cornelis

Sep 29, 2011
If it is a US flag vestival (documented), why don't you see if it can be registered in Panama? You can always change flags in the future, but I think that would be better than trying to bring an unregistered vessel.

Also, why not go tio Panama and bring it bacik yourself. It would be a great experience. Many vessels leave here planning on going to Panama and through the canal to the Pacific.

Fly to Panama, take possession of the boat, live on it while you are familiarizing yourself with her and waiting for the best period for the trip to the DR. Then explore Columbia, Venezuela, the islands, on your way back. That is what I would do.

Also, it would be easier to outfit the boat with whatever is needed in Panama than it will be here.

Well, Ken the plan is to get delivery included at this side of the Panama canal since I dont want to have that headache myself and the present owner did that before already. If possible I will have the usual upgrades done in Panama before departure. All that is not such a big deal as long as I do not see Kafka coming to block me off somewhere. Indeed I am looking forward to it for years already and do not want to give any official the opportunity to screw it. Except of a trip to the Galapagos I am not so much in for an east coast journey.
Not likeley I will have the guts to make that passage as my first trip. I don't know yet. (single handed also)
For the moment the focus is on legal/fiscal aspects in the first place. Even the boat itself is less important then that.

Greetings, Ken,

Cornelis

Cornelis

Sep 29, 2011
If it is a US vessel that is now in Panama, it is likely you will find that it is US documented. It is rare that an American planning to cruise to other countries does not document the vessel for the protection that gives.

If that is the case, the documentation cannot be transferred to you because you are not from the US.

People from Scotland that flew to the DR to buy my boat had the same problem.

Basicly I buy the boat unseen, just based on what I know about it and based on who the owner is.
I am more concerned about all other aspects then about minor cosmetic or mechanical issues.
They need to send me their list of documents to get all figured out here before anything will happen anyway.

Concerning the dispacio's you were writing about; it feels strange you cant just depart whenever you want but I do understand their reason. Maybe if you know them well you can do it by radio after a while?

greetings,

Cornelis

Cornelis

Sep 29, 2011
Another alternative, form US corporation or LLC and register in corporate name as US registered vessel.

Hello, thank you for posting,
I am aware of that but wanted a straight and simple road to walk on. The Delaware route is always possible but also has its issues. Like Ken suggested the sellers need to dig up their documents and when those documents are causing too much trouble there will be no purchase of that vessel. There are always more Nordhavns for sale so that is no problem.

Greetings,Cornelis

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I wouldn't do it single handed either. But you should be able to find good crew willing to go with you--reliable people that is, people who won't cause you problems by having drugs in their luggage, etc.

When I was living in Samana, there were some young Dominicans who had a lot of experience as crew. I know one who went all the way through the Caribbean and to the Med on a big French sailboat. They wanted him toi stay but he finally got lonely for the DR and quit.

Cornelis

Sep 29, 2011
I wouldn't do it single handed either. But you should be able to find good crew willing to go with you--reliable people that is, people who won't cause you problems by having drugs in their luggage, etc.

When I was living in Samana, there were some young Dominicans who had a lot of experience as crew. I know one who went all the way through the Caribbean and to the Med on a big French sailboat. They wanted him toi stay but he finally got lonely for the DR and quit.

Yes, Ken, maybe that is a good idea.
In my original idea I would only make the Caribean sea crossing from Panama to DR singlehanded.
All will change if the scheduled list of destinations becomes longer of course.
Who knows, at the day I go to pick up the vessel at the Panama exit there always could be someone capable to join.

greetings,
Cornelis

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Ken gave you all the correct Info, even that he is since years away from Boats, his advise compared to today's experiences runs the same road, there vwas no significant change in the Rules/Laws.
to purchase a american flagged vessel and keep the US Registration you need to be a US Resident.
I purchased during the last year 2 sportfishing yachts in Puerto Rico, the same Code applies there.
You can as a Non Resident purchase the Boat there but You get the registration taken away, means no US/PR Insurer will insure Your Unregistered Vessel, and with such Vessel arriving in the DR You are obliged to run the Process of getting the Dominican Matricula/Dominican Flagged Boatpapers, because without them no DR Insurer would insure the Vessel neither.
to get that full Dominican Registration You have to Import the Vessel into the DR, doesn't matter how much or little You paid for the Boat, the DR Customs will run a inspection of the Vessel and Value it, and then you pay the import Taxes on that Value. once You have the Papers from Customs you can start the Matriculation Process.

as You do not want to use the Boat for commercial Use(here the DR Matricula/Flagg would be required), the best and completely Legal way would be that you find a way to register that Vessel under any Foreign Nationality, doesn't matter if that runs the flagg of Panama, the US(need to be s US Citizen), Lagos or any other Registering Country, in that case you can take any international Insurance for the Boat(make sure that the Greater Antilles and specifically the DR are included in the Area of Coverage) minus a Dominican Insurance, you bring the Boat over to the DR for recreational Purposes, request from the Marina de Guerra Headquarter a Permiso de Navegacion Recreacional, given for one year(and can then be renewed for the next year etc), and with that you can use your Boat here around the Island for recreational purposes when ever and where ever it pleases you, hassle free. it is what for example all the actually present Sportfishing Yachts do who visit every year the DR Eastshores for the Billfish and Tournament Season March - September.

Yes, You need to report your Ride every time you leave Port to the Port Authorities, but at some hot spots(where many foreign recreational vessels are present) like for example at Cap Can Marina, where I am based with my own Boats, the handling is very easy/hasslefree, if you leave just for the day with the intention to come back to your Port the same day without entering an other Port during the Day, then you just pick the Radio while riding out of the channel, name your boat number and the number of Passengers on Board(including the Crew Number) and go ahead, no paper to sign, no Authorities Office to be visited, no Authorities hopping on Board for a Check or such.
in case you plan to end your ride at a different port than your homeport you report that before leaving the Docks to the Office by Radio and within a 15 minutes the Officials will be present to do a quick check of the Boat(takes just a few minutes) and they fill in a Document for You which shows Your Departure Port and the Destination Port, that Paper You need to Present to the Authorities at the Destination Port, where they will check the Vessel upon arrival again. those procedures are of course only valid as long as you do not plan to leave the Country to visit an other Island, in that case the Authorities would also bring Immigrations Staff/Stamp Your Passport/get their Departure Tax per Person ect, but still no big Procedure, at least here at Cap Cana Marina.

the Keypoint for Your Case is to get Your Vessel Flagged under any foreign Country which accepts a registration from a Dutch Citizen, and get the Vessel Insured there.

just for recreational/non commercial Use I would not go the Import Street, it is long, it is very Rocky, and at the beginning you can never tell how long and how costy it finally will be to have it def done.
due bad experiences of a Friend with a Import Company with their Container from Europe I would myself never consider such company to Import real Value, and your Boat is def a real Piece of Value.

btw, for the greater Antilles the Cap Cana Marina is the only Hurricane Cat1 accepted Port by US Insurers, so it is a very safe Place to keep your vessel during the rougher Times of the Year, hence so many sportyachts from PR and the Virgin Islands come over here when Storm warnings are given out by the National Hurricane Center, as their own Homeports are only accepted by the Insurers til Tropical Storm Force as the Max. the advantage of having the homeport here is that you do not have big costs for Crew/Fuels etc for the short notice decided Travels to a safe Port, so over the Year the Cap Cana Marina comes out as quiet reasonable priced.

good luck which ever way you choose

Mike

Cornelis

Sep 29, 2011
Ken gave you all the correct Info, even that he is since years away from Boats, his advise compared to today's experiences runs the same road, there vwas no significant change in the Rules/Laws.
to purchase a american flagged vessel and keep the US Registration you need to be a US Resident.
I purchased during the last year 2 sportfishing yachts in Puerto Rico, the same Code applies there.
You can as a Non Resident purchase the Boat there but You get the registration taken away, means no US/PR Insurer will insure Your Unregistered Vessel, and with such Vessel arriving in the DR You are obliged to run the Process of getting the Dominican Matricula/Dominican Flagged Boatpapers, because without them no DR Insurer would insure the Vessel neither.
to get that full Dominican Registration You have to Import the Vessel into the DR, doesn't matter how much or little You paid for the Boat, the DR Customs will run a inspection of the Vessel and Value it, and then you pay the import Taxes on that Value. once You have the Papers from Customs you can start the Matriculation Process.

as You do not want to use the Boat for commercial Use(here the DR Matricula/Flagg would be required), the best and completely Legal way would be that you find a way to register that Vessel under any Foreign Nationality, doesn't matter if that runs the flagg of Panama, the US(need to be s US Citizen), Lagos or any other Registering Country, in that case you can take any international Insurance for the Boat(make sure that the Greater Antilles and specifically the DR are included in the Area of Coverage) minus a Dominican Insurance, you bring the Boat over to the DR for recreational Purposes, request from the Marina de Guerra Headquarter a Permiso de Navegacion Recreacional, given for one year(and can then be renewed for the next year etc), and with that you can use your Boat here around the Island for recreational purposes when ever and where ever it pleases you, hassle free. it is what for example all the actually present Sportfishing Yachts do who visit every year the DR Eastshores for the Billfish and Tournament Season March - September.

Yes, You need to report your Ride every time you leave Port to the Port Authorities, but at some hot spots(where many foreign recreational vessels are present) like for example at Cap Can Marina, where I am based with my own Boats, the handling is very easy/hasslefree, if you leave just for the day with the intention to come back to your Port the same day without entering an other Port during the Day, then you just pick the Radio while riding out of the channel, name your boat number and the number of Passengers on Board(including the Crew Number) and go ahead, no paper to sign, no Authorities Office to be visited, no Authorities hopping on Board for a Check or such.
in case you plan to end your ride at a different port than your homeport you report that before leaving the Docks to the Office by Radio and within a 15 minutes the Officials will be present to do a quick check of the Boat(takes just a few minutes) and they fill in a Document for You which shows Your Departure Port and the Destination Port, that Paper You need to Present to the Authorities at the Destination Port, where they will check the Vessel upon arrival again. those procedures are of course only valid as long as you do not plan to leave the Country to visit an other Island, in that case the Authorities would also bring Immigrations Staff/Stamp Your Passport/get their Departure Tax per Person ect, but still no big Procedure, at least here at Cap Cana Marina.

the Keypoint for Your Case is to get Your Vessel Flagged under any foreign Country which accepts a registration from a Dutch Citizen, and get the Vessel Insured there.

just for recreational/non commercial Use I would not go the Import Street, it is long, it is very Rocky, and at the beginning you can never tell how long and how costy it finally will be to have it def done.
due bad experiences of a Friend with a Import Company with their Container from Europe I would myself never consider such company to Import real Value, and your Boat is def a real Piece of Value.

btw, for the greater Antilles the Cap Cana Marina is the only Hurricane Cat1 accepted Port by US Insurers, so it is a very safe Place to keep your vessel during the rougher Times of the Year, hence so many sportyachts from PR and the Virgin Islands come over here when Storm warnings are given out by the National Hurricane Center, as their own Homeports are only accepted by the Insurers til Tropical Storm Force as the Max. the advantage of having the homeport here is that you do not have big costs for Crew/Fuels etc for the short notice decided Travels to a safe Port, so over the Year the Cap Cana Marina comes out as quiet reasonable priced.

good luck which ever way you choose

Mike

Hello Mike,

Thanks for such an effort to write me this info ! Greatly appreciated!

I will see where to register the boat. Probably Panama since that's already on the transom now. As far as insurance goes I only need damage liability insurance.
The hull itself will not be insured. Means less formalities normally.

Am gonna do it this way. Your information is very helpful.

Best greetings,

Cornelis

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Thanks for the advice...
We have 42' Viking Cruisers back home and I was wondering about this.
So it will be less hassle to keep it registered and insured in US and dock at Cap Cana.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
that's correct, You are allowed to bring Your registered and insured Vessel into the Country/to the Cap Cana Marina, request a recreational Permit (available for 3 months, 6 months, 1 Year, then must be renewed) and use it privately for non Commercial Sportfishing, Cruising, Snorkeling etc etc what ever you want to do on Your Boat.
if You want to dock at the Cap Cana Marina during the Billfish Season end March-end August do Your Dock Reservations ahead of Time, right now for example since end April all Docks are occupied and as a Hurricane Safe Spot it fills up over it's Top at the Moment any Storm out of the East would be announced. during Wintertime the Marina is widely Empty with just maybe 2 Dozens of Boats which are here all around the Year such as myself.
if You plan on a longer Stay ask right away about their Yearly Docking Fees, they are just around 1/3rd of the Daily/Weekly Docking Fees. the Marina offers Daily/Monthly and Yearly Docking Fees, Docks provide Sweetwater, electricity and Cable at all Docks. Fueling and Maintenance Dock available, also a Ramp to bring smaller Vessels out of the Water on a Trailor.

Mike

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Every foreign vessel docked here or passing through flies the Dominican flag (courtesy flag) during the time it is in the country. During all the years I lived aboard in Samana, or was cruising the Caribbean, I never flew the American flag, even though the boat was documented in the US. only the courtesy flag of the country I was in.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Every foreign vessel docked here or passing through flies the Dominican flag (courtesy flag) during the time it is in the country. During all the years I lived aboard in Samana, or was cruising the Caribbean, I never flew the American flag, even though the boat was documented in the US. only the courtesy flag of the country I was in.

that's right Ken,
and as a vessel on it's recreational Purposes in teh DR as long as not leaving the DR Waters there is no other Flagg needed then. but Cornelius needs to get his boat registered Somewhere, where ever that may be, it needs a registration of a Country/means to be flagged.

@Potatoehead,
who would trade His Boat for a Family???
there's no better Family to a Sailor than His Boat.

Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Ken,
as for your cruises to other Islands Your Boat was registered as Dominican Based, but to do so Your Boat needed to be registered/flagged somewhere first, as in your case it was a legally registered USA Vessel which been officially Based in the DR as it's Homeport for example Samana.
the point is that is has to be registered somewhere Firstly, otherwise it would not get the Status "Based in DR", at least not on a legal way which Cornelius is looking for.

Mike

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Ken,
as for your cruises to other Islands Your Boat was registered as Dominican Based, but to do so Your Boat needed to be registered/flagged somewhere first, as in your case it was a legally registered USA Vessel which been officially Based in the DR as it's Homeport for example Samana.
the point is that is has to be registered somewhere Firstly, otherwise it would not get the Status "Based in DR", at least not on a legal way which Cornelius is looking for.

Mike

Yes, I understand that. I was just pointing out that he can and should fly the Dominican Republic courtesy flag when his boat is in DR waters even though it is registered in Panama (which seems like the best option since it appears it is already registered there since Panama is on the transom).

I was not suggesting that a courtesy flag meant that the boat was registered in the Dominican Republic.

As far as when I was in the other islands and Venezuela, the officials in those countries had no idea that my home away from home was the Dominican Republic. This was not shown on my boat papers or my passport. All they could know was that I was a US citizen and captain of a boat that was documented in the US and had last been in X country.

Last edited: