Import a vessel from usa

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
Cornelius: understand your concern. I had my yacht in European countries for 10 years (before completion of the EU) ? it was a nightmare for me coming over here until I found I could register the boat in Delaware State for only $15 if I knew someone with a post office box. I did it all by mail, and the State of Delaware encouraged this as they made money doing it. The US state registrations were good for all but French islands, but you had to wheedle them some. Don't know how it is today.

I kept a US flagged boat in DR waters like Ken for nearly for more than 20 years, but I kept my status as "tourist" even though I had property here. At the time there was a chance (not taken) than a resident with a foreign flagged yacht could be charged with heavy fines and importation taxes for not declaring the "luxury" possession ? kind of like a car.

And think hard before you invest in "yachting" opportunities in the DR. It's a great lager for boats who use the EU islands in the season and lay up out of season, but "yachting"? About as much as the open North Sea would be without its coastal ports.

PS: the Nordhavn 47 is one hell of a super boat. Go for it!

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
THis is what my friend here in Cabarete did:

"i have purchase 2 motor yachts in miami, flagged them U,S, deleware, paid no sales tax, took the
under their own hull to st kitts/nevis, where i used them at 4 seasons in a charter business, i paid
no duty with U.S flag, i paid no sales tax if i signed waiver that vessels would stay out of U.S for
at least 1 year, then i could return if i wanted, i flew the st kitts nevis flag under the U.S flag, also
with U.S registration, and the huge presents of U.S coast guard and navy, you will not have any
issues under U.S flag, the local authorities can only check you for drugs or guns, cant check
for any saftey violations or any thing of that nature which could result in undo fines, worked for
me for 10 yrs, if you are not U.S citizen you can do llc or hire a attorney to do the paper work
and then transfer, it was very simple, also the broker will handle the docs for registration for you
as well, stopped in the dom rep both trips, pop, they searched to vessels both times, only thing
i had to buy a dom flag, for use in port, worked for me, good luck.

ALabama Gary

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You see Cornelis WHY I told you to wait for Mick Fisher to answer your questions. Between Mike, Ken and Pelaut they have over half a century of experience here with boats. Pelaut is the author of perhaps one of the finest guides to all of these islands, I guess I could say that he knows them like the back of his hand.

Please, please pay attention to what they say....do not listen to anyone else!!! If someone tells you something, ask Mike or Ken or Pelaut what they think. THEN and only then, take action.

Mike and Ken and Pelaut, I want to thank you for helping this fellow. I knew you would but it is really great to see it happening.

HB

Sohrab

Oct 1, 2010
“And think hard before you invest in "yachting" opportunities in the DR. It's a great lager for boats who use the EU islands in the season and lay up out of season, but "yachting"? About as much as the open North Sea would be without its coastal ports.”
Such a beautiful location with great potentials, and neither local government or investors do anything about promoting the boating industry.

Cornelis

Sep 29, 2011
Ken,
as for your cruises to other Islands Your Boat was registered as Dominican Based, but to do so Your Boat needed to be registered/flagged somewhere first, as in your case it was a legally registered USA Vessel which been officially Based in the DR as it's Homeport for example Samana.
the point is that is has to be registered somewhere Firstly, otherwise it would not get the Status "Based in DR", at least not on a legal way which Cornelius is looking for.

Mike

Indeed my situation is that i have residence in DR only. The boat has Panama flag now but on the name and home adress of the present owner. I do not like to go into the trick shop with a fake mailbox company and so on if I can avoid that. So the most logic wish is to just import it here and pay the taxes this country can use for many good works that are waiting to get done. What I learned here is that there is almost no other choice then to just go around the DR taxman since the process can turn out to become an upleasant journey in many ways. Which is very narrow minded since any beautiful island like the DR could be a Yacht paradise and make money very easy. i Think I just listen to the guys who took the easy way. Not much choice really.I even got an off line message from somebody who lost his boat in the import process. Halfway he got into a value discussion and decided to stop the import. Yessssss....in his dreams. He ended up with a damaged wreck at the end. I could not verify this story.

Greetings,Cornelis

Cornelis

Sep 29, 2011
Well Pelaut, indeed there is the difference. You had a tourist status. I am not sure but I think Ken as well had a tourist status.
I dont want to do anything stupid whatever it is. With an asset in the water and the right mistakes you are an easy target.
Yachting opportunities are not my thing and also there are almost no marina's in DR. Its Sea, Sea and sea. Thanks for your compliments on the Nordhavn. Its the minimum machine I want to find myself in during a Caribbean storm. Despite its a small boat it can take much more then any of us can take at sea. Indestructable economical in use and redundant.

Greetings, Cees

Cornelis

Sep 29, 2011
Thanks so much Mike for the effort you did !!!! very much appreciated !!
Greetings,
Cornelis

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Well Pelaut, indeed there is the difference. You had a tourist status. I am not sure but I think Ken as well had a tourist status.
I dont want to do anything stupid whatever it is. With an asset in the water and the right mistakes you are an easy target.
Yachting opportunities are not my thing and also there are almost no marina's in DR. Its Sea, Sea and sea. Thanks for your compliments on the Nordhavn. Its the minimum machine I want to find myself in during a Caribbean storm. Despite its a small boat it can take much more then any of us can take at sea. Indestructable economical in use and redundant.

Greetings, Cees

I had resident status

Cornelis

Sep 29, 2011
I had resident status

Hi, Ken,

That is good news.

Slowly am gathering info everywhere.

A boat is to get peace so you dont want to be hunted because you do have one.

Am looking forward to it.

Thanks for your info and experiences.

Much appreciated!

cornelis