Importing a Nissan Murano 2004 to DR

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I don't think The Murano applies for CAFTA. I think it's made in Japan. I know the Explorer does get the discount. Now I'm doubting a bit the duties quoted by Aduana on their website, because 300k for a 2004 explorer is very high, because I know for a fact that a 2004 Explorer goes for somewhere around 475 to 525k pesos depending on features, condition, etc. Maybe the difference is that in The US you can get them at very low prices (much lower than a Murano) and maybe the price quoted at Aduana does not include the CAFTA discount.

Jan 9, 2004
Ak.........

Customs duty is significantly reduced for returning Dominicans who have had a vehicle registered in their name for the previous year, and who otherwise meet the conditions (i.e 5 year rule) established by Aduana.

Bribes, otherwise known as expedited service, probably should/would not exceed $100-200.

DR-Cafta was contemplated and negotiated by the respective countries with regard to the production of new goods. That having been said, there is supposed to be a duty reduction on used cars produced in Dr-Cafta countries. To date, that seems to be an elusive reduction on those used cars with a country of origin inside DR-Cafta.

The duty reduction on new cars is also difficult to obtain. However, potential customers of my U.S. client (who has for sale several hundred new cars produced in the USA for export only), will be meeting with Aduana tomorrow. Perhaps, out of this meeting, there will be a clarification on the % amount of reduced duty.

With regard to the OP, based on the deal you received buying the Murano, I would definitely investigate the reduced Aduana possibility, and, if you obtain a significant reduction on taxes due, send it down.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

If an opinion is allowed to be expressed...

You bought it for $9000 (excellent deal!)

Customs is $8500

Shipping $1000

Bribes/Dominican corruption $1000

Total: $19 500, let`s say $20G.

2004 Murano WITH NO DOMINICAN MILES will be sold privately in DR for $22G-$23G. You will make money. Not much, but still. But being without experience you will have to do some leg work. Begin with your local Dominican Consulate.

How does the CAFTA work if US made Explorer has the same import tax as Japanese Murano??!!

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
Customs duty is significantly reduced for returning Dominicans who have had a vehicle registered in their name for the previous year, and who otherwise meet the conditions (i.e 5 year rule) established by Aduana.

Bribes, otherwise known as expedited service, probably should/would not exceed $100-200.

DR-Cafta was contemplated and negotiated by the respective countries with regard to the production of new goods. That having been said, there is supposed to be a duty reduction on used cars produced in Dr-Cafta countries. To date, that seems to be an elusive reduction on those used cars with a country of origin inside DR-Cafta.

The duty reduction on new cars is also difficult to obtain. However, potential customers of my U.S. client (who has for sale several hundred new cars produced in the USA for export only), will be meeting with Aduana tomorrow. Perhaps, out of this meeting, there will be a clarification on the % amount of reduced duty.

With regard to the OP, based on the deal you received buying the Murano, I would definitely investigate the reduced Aduana possibility, and, if you obtain a significant reduction on taxes due, send it down.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

A very useful clarification, thank you!

Haven`t exported to DR for several years since my partner`s rent car business was destroyed and bancraupted by some corrupt Sosua lawyers and he himself had to leave the country fast to avoid jail for "non-liquidation" !!! A typical story of a trusting and honest foreigner not familiar with local reality...

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
However, the duty reduction was offset by other "fees" in the DR so that the buyer would see almost no benefit in the duty reduction. See if you find that to indeed be the case, Playacaribe2. It seemed to me that the DR was going along with the "legal" aspects of the DR-CAFTA agreement but violating the intent with the new fees.

other 'fees'....sure, aka bribes and payoffs, the usual fees one finds in the ports...sigh :tired:

Jan 9, 2004
You are correct...

The duty reduction varied by product and, in the case of qualifying automobiles, was/is supposed to phase out in 5 years from the inception of the agreement.

As indicated in my prior post, I hope to have some clarification from Aduana tomorrow. My clients and the importers have a great deal riding on the outcome and, come to think of it, so does the Dominican government in the form of potential new tax revenue.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

When I studied importing a US made car under DR-CAFTA some time ago, what I found was that the duty reduction was over a period of years, I believe 5 years from the starting date of the agreement. However, the duty reduction was offset by other "fees" in the DR so that the buyer would see almost no benefit in the duty reduction. See if you find that to indeed be the case, Playacaribe2. It seemed to me that the DR was going along with the "legal" aspects of the DR-CAFTA agreement but violating the intent with the new fees.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Even though the reduction is to be applied over 5 years it should now have at least 40% reduction of duties as it has been two years (That's significant). Windeguy is correct that the government raised other fees to compensate for this, but this reduction still makes American made cars cheaper than others, because other cars also have to pay the increase in fees.

This is a typical Dominican government scheme. If you think about it for a second they are actually making more money even with the reduction, because they raised the fees for ALL cars not just to compensate for the loss of revenue.

locorecto

Mar 24, 2009
$9k???? This is no the right fee

I just realized that in the DGA website when you are getting an inquiry for a vehicle, you have to change the FOB which is the price you pay for the vehicle. The default FOB for a Nissan Murano in the DGA website is $15,193.00. However, I only paid $9k. That make a significant reduction in the ITBIS (16%) and the GRAVEMEN(20%). Also I have to subtract a 20% discount for owning the vehicle for more than 1 year. That makes the importing fees at least $5k.

I am rethinking to send my Murano overseas.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
aside from the price, how about the cost of your time to take the car to the shipper, waiting in line time, fill out the form time, go to motor vehicle in NY to return old tags, in line time, call your insurer in the states to wait for a check $ on the unused portion of your premium, cash check at bank line, go to various offices in SD, go buy insurance time, and stand in line, fill out more forms time. could add up to 40 hours or more, depends on what you pay yourself a week. how much do you love the car? if it was a split window 66 corvette, blue metalflake, i'd love it, a car is a car, it's only a way to go from point a to the point b carwash.............except, except, for the rich man who is bringing in the latest 4 door top of the line mercedes, porsche cayenne, jaguar, because if he can tweek out a 10% savings, or more, on a hundred grand car it is worth it to go through the hassle. for the average jose`, like myself, it's not worth it.

TheHun

May 4, 2008
I don't think it is that much. A friend of mine send a Ford Explorer last year and he paid about USD$4500 including shipping. In case that I have to paid "RD300,000 PLUS shipping", I stay in this country working. Paying more than US$8500 tax for a vehicle 5 years old would be theft. I only payed US$9000 for it.

I have brought a 05 Toyota 4 Runner and paid about $7000 for duty and $ 3000 for the first lic. plate. Total fees where a bit over 10K + the shipping.
I would not do that again. The same car would cost me here the same and I'd save the shipping.
They don't care how much you paid for the car and what's the value of it in the US. To calculate the duty and all the taxes and fees, they will even include the shipping cost beside the set value.
In the US you can buy or order a bi-fuel Ford Explorer or Expedition.
That means it was factory built to run on CNG (propane) and fuel also. So you do not have to spend $$$ here to convert it, also it is a factory option, so it's done professionally. You don't have to deal with warning lights because of the modifications.
That is what I'd do now.
The Hun

locorecto

Mar 24, 2009
That means it was factory built to run on CNG (propane) and fuel also.

CNG does not mean propane. It means COMPRESS NATURAL GAS, or Gas Natural Comprimido. For Propane use LPG (or LIQUEFIED PETROLEUM GAS).

Just a little bit of explanation. Nothing personal. lol:glasses::cheeky:

TheHun

May 4, 2008
CNG does not mean propane. It means COMPRESS NATURAL GAS, or Gas Natural Comprimido. For Propane use LPG (or LIQUEFIED PETROLEUM GAS).

Just a little bit of explanation. Nothing personal. lol:glasses::cheeky:

Thanks for the correction! You are right. I meant LPG. You can NOT use LPG in CNG cars.
CNG is mainly methane based and compressed to a very high pressure cylinder / tank and LPG is butane/ propane based liquid filled in a low press. cylinder.
I did not know of the CNG / LPG option until a friend of mine imported a Ford truck from the US to EU. He told me about it and also he got some tax or rebate back because of the better emission vehicle.
I don't think CNG available in the DR, is it??

The Hun

locorecto

Mar 24, 2009
I don't think CNG available in the DR, is it??

The Hun

Yes, it is starting to be sold. The government help to bring some cars for concho to work with CNG. They are developing some plant to distribute the Gas. Also some few OMSAs work with CNG.

Mason3000

Aug 2, 2008
After having just gotten through bringing in a container (Not a car though) at customs I can't fathom doing it again. I've been through customs in other Latin countries and while corrupt, the DR is unique in it's level of corruption.

They didn't care what I paid for things, what taxes I'd pre-paid to avoid problems here in the DR (I don't know those people at the Embassy over there where you paid, you'll have to pay again here in Santo Domingo.") or what you're legally entitled to pay.

It's just a Government run extortion racket. They charge whatever they think they can extract from you and if you complain/argue/negotiate they intentionally drag their feet while they "look into it" and charge you daily storage fees while they do. In the end storage costs were more than the original ransom demands. Clever.

A returning Dominican York is an especially attractive mark for them.

Jan 9, 2004
Once and for all..

...at least for now..DR/CAFTA is NOT applicable to automobiles.

I have been advise by an attorney who was privy to a meeting between Aduana and the potential importers referenced in my prior post, that Automobiles were removed, at the last minute, from DR/CAFTA.

While the Agreement istself still does list automobiles, they are, according to the attorney, NOT part of DR/CAFTA, because of some last minute maneuvering.

Hopefully this answers the question....once and for all...at least for the moment!

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

The duty reduction varied by product and, in the case of qualifying automobiles, was/is supposed to phase out in 5 years from the inception of the agreement.

As indicated in my prior post, I hope to have some clarification from Aduana tomorrow. My clients and the importers have a great deal riding on the outcome and, come to think of it, so does the Dominican government in the form of potential new tax revenue.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

zelia1

Feb 2, 2009
i just wanted to ask a dominican citizen dont you get to import a car every so many years for a very low amount duty fee? the reason i am asking is because i just returned from there and spoke to a custom agent and was told that i could import at low fees.