william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Small wager....

I bet it's Haina - the renegade port
they have a history of being difficult

Sorry to say - after my first time trying these people,
I'm back to my regular NYC people.

This was a 'one time' , pick up at Lowes and deliver.

Still hoping for some progress on it

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
I bought a 6 burner stainless steel stove with glass top cover for $38,000 DOP 3 years ago... still in great shape.
The name is : "Olndurama''.... probably a low end with high end looks.... but I am quite happy for it.

Russell

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
By electrodomesticos I presume we’re talking about large appliances like stoves, refrigerators, washers, etc., not things like breadmakers, mixers, microwaves, etc.  
Yes, major appliances.

Your baseball gear should be fine.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Oh boy, now I’m worried about our shipment, 18 boxes and drums, 15of them filled with the baseball equipment.  I guess time will tell.  

We have had this month quite a few things coming through customs with BMCargo, and as I was in contact with them, as there was a delay, they clearly said that they are having unusual issues with the aduana and there would be a significant delay. I've used them for a long time, and never any issues.

They of course did their job as they have always, and apart from the delay, nothing bad happened, we claimed our things about 10 days later than we should have originally... They even lowered the charged price on some of the items, and nothing had been opened...

Based on this too, the customs agents are not happy...

Feb 7, 2007
Aduanas is finding a lot of contraband these days. Looks like owners of courier companies are stupid and don't learn from other's mistakes (Laserpack/Cargamar). Both BM cargo and Rapid pack were found contraband in the past few weeks.

As far as Aduana and mudanzas, it is true even PLD congressman is now on a collision course with Aduana and its director.

http://www.cdn.com.do/2018/01/31/di...tratar-dominicanos-exterior-impuestos-abusos/

http://eldia.com.do/denuncian-en-eeuu-aduanas-rd-solo-acepta-ocho-electrodomesticos/

Current feeling on the street is that Corripio, Lama, etc. are behind this.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Aduanas is finding a lot of contraband these days. Looks like owners of courier companies are stupid and don't learn from other's mistakes (Laserpack/Cargamar). Both BM cargo and Rapid pack were found contraband in the past few weeks.

As far as Aduana and mudanzas, it is true even PLD congressman is now on a collision course with Aduana and its director.

http://www.cdn.com.do/2018/01/31/di...tratar-dominicanos-exterior-impuestos-abusos/

http://eldia.com.do/denuncian-en-eeuu-aduanas-rd-solo-acepta-ocho-electrodomesticos/

Current feeling on the street is that Corripio, Lama, etc. are behind this.
It's interesting nthat shippers aregoing on a 3-day strike of not opening the contaioners for adaunas.

There will be containers piling up at the ports and a real headache for customs agents.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
An update: The Plot Thickens.

The latest news is that Aduanas has announced they will permit the importation of used appliances and clothing into the country, but they will be taxed as new.

However, any container with more than 8 appliances will have the excess confiscated. Yes, confiscated. That's the word...so far. (However, we were told our shipper would make damn sure william webster and our stoves are not confiscated, as they do not want to have to reimburse us the cost plus shipping/taxes.)

The numbers shake down like this: over 200 containers from US shippers arrive EACH DAY to DR ports. The ports need the shippers to open the containers, pay taxes and get the containers our ASAP to keep the work flow consistent.

The shippers are going on a 3-day strike, so in addition to the containers already on the ground in protest, 600 more will be arriving the next several days. That's a LOT of containers stacking up. There is a reason the port charges escalate quickly after you are informed to come pick your stuff up: the port needs the space and needs to keep the process moving.

There is supposedly a meeting scheduled for Friday with adaunas to negotiate some sort of settlement, but in the meantime appliances and used clothing are not getting into the country because the mudanzas are not picking up containers at the ports as protest.

What makes me crazy is how a new policy is enforced retroactively, which is completely different from informing shippers that "after a such and such date..."

Soooo...in our case, no new stove for a while. Bummer.

If you receive items in barrels or appliances from a mudanza and have connections to the media or elected politicians, you may want to make a statement of concern or protest. We will do our part.

-----------

I smell shenanigans from appliance outlets, particularly the high-end dealers like Corripio and Lama.

Our shipper "averages" 15 appliances per shipment, twice a week. Assuming his numbers are the same as other shippers, and shippers send 200 containers per week, that means roughly 3000 appliances come into the country...PER WEEK. Even if that number is overestimated, it represents an extraordinary number of potential missed sales from appliance dealers. The appliance dealers have a HUGE dog in this fight.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
If these appliances dealers and sellers had better quality merchandise and better prices, there wouldn't be some many people bringing such items from abroad. I've furnished a three bedroom house from nuts and bolts to internet service in order of priority, in the Colonial Zone. I've seen better quality household goods at Good Will and Salvation Army outlets.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I rarely see appliances at my mudanza in NYC.... Awilda
Mostly boxes, barrels, rice, oil, etc

Thanks for watching over me CB...Fingers crossed.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I rarely see appliances at my mudanza in NYC.... Awilda
Mostly boxes, barrels, rice, oil, etc

Thanks for watching over me CB...Fingers crossed.
It's bad timing. Fortunately family is involved.

We were told the new policy started around 1/20 and the mudanzas were not told in advance. That is just flat wrong...but par for the DR gubmint bureaucratic course.

A video will follow.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
[video=youtube;FT2EokQvDVs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT2EokQvDVs&feature=youtu.be[/video]

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Seems the "new" policies were distributed to DR-based consolidators with main offices in the DR, but NOT to non-DR based consolidators with main offices outside the DR, even if they belonged to the DR Association.

So US-based consolidators shipped containers not knowing the rules had changed.

This memo was on 1/20/2018.

ZXZEIh.jpg

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
It's bad timing. Fortunately family is involved.

We were told the new policy started around 1/20 and the mudanzas were not told in advance. That is just flat wrong...but par for the DR gubmint bureaucratic course.

A video will follow.

So what is the bottom line on your stove - Is it just in the wind or are you going to wind up paying more for it than if you had bought one in DR?

Since you say 'family' is involved am I safe to assume cuñado ? Maybe best not to tell us ...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
we expect it'll clear --- in transit goods.... hopefully w/o a payment or much of a payment.

But there is now a limit on how many appliances each container can deliver..
As well as limits for rice, oil, etc