Indian Restaurants??

Rami

Sep 25, 2003
I should move there soon so that we can have another person beside AZB who can cook Indian( my wife has learned it also) Oop's , most of you dont know me. Tom (xanadu ranch) knows about me. AZB , I needed you when I was there a couple of weeks ago as I hurt my back but was told that you had to go to Atlanta. By the way I came originally from Jullunder, Punjab, India.
If I ever make it there, I will cook for you folks
Rami

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Curry please

Any news or information on where I can get a good curry in Santo Domingo.

George Holmes

Nov 15, 2006
dofieldwork.blogspot.com
Mmmmm. Curry. How I long for the days when I lived next to Curry Mile (aka Rusholme, Manchester). I used to pass through it every day to and from work, and the smell of the spices is still implanted in my brain.

Seriously, the DR has a similar climate to places like Goa in India, and I know of a few plantations of nutmeg and cinammon etc out near Nagua, so surely it shouldn't be too hard to get hold of the basics (e.g. chili, ginger, garlic, coriander and so on)? Shall we have a DR curry night?

Take the point about Dominicans not being able to take spaces - if it isn't sweet and bland they won't touch it (cue furious reply....)

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
I can't even get AZB to cook up a dish here in Santiago. I guess I have to put on high heels, a mini, a push up bra, and wig. He holds all the secrets to cooking that excellent food. I have been to his home and the kitchen is packed with all these little boxes of assorted foods to prepare. It looks like you have to add your own chicken or whatever...but the pictures on the boxes look great. I think he is missing an opportunity here. There are plenty of dominicans who have lived abroad long enough to appreciate a spicy meal. On the other hand I just asked my dominican friend who lives in New York when was the last time he went to an Indian or Thai restaurant. His face drew a blank and he said, "I never have". Yet...there may be hope...I sometimes come across Pica Pollo that has a spicy/curry taste to it and my wife has grown to love the curry dishes I try to cook up. You could probably convert enough to these cuisines...doing a Mild/Spicy/Hot menu. What do you think AZB. Now I am hungry for this food.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Snuffy I wanted to invite you during the past few days to my house to cook you a good meal, but you were too busy with your new child. let me see what i can come up with in the next few days. I call you but you never seem to have time off to get out. now the child is born so stop being a miguel. lets hang.
I will call your cell soon.
AZB

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
AZB...I feel much better now about being away from the house. You don't have to make anything...I was only kidding around. But if you want to teach me a thing or two about cooking Indian food then I would appreciate it. I promise guys that anything I learn from the Indian cuisine guru will be shared given the masters permission. And you won't be seeing any pics of me in a mini skirt. Going to PM.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I cook authentic Indian curries ranging from vindaloo to biryani, to balti . Anyone wants the recipes just pm me. I have at least one a week and now all the dominicans like them too - as long as they are not too hot!!!

Matilda

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Is this a hint that I need to host another DR1 get-together and make it an Indian night???
I plan on bringing some of the basics with me when I return and I bought a new spice mill as a Christmas gift to myself so I could bring my old one with me.
I discovered Carrefore has powdered and whole mustard seed so now I don't have to bring it with me.
Mara provides the gira from India and most of the other essentials are available at various markets in the DR.
All I need to find is a supplier for cardamom.....
mmmmm........I think I'll whip up a curry tomorrow.
Even my gourmet chef son who told me in July he didn't like curry is now cooking up a curry storm after I made one mild curry dish while I was visiting!:)

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Try other curries

A thai curry is easy to prepare and all the ingredients are now available here. Go over to SD's Barrio Chino, find the story on the south side of Gonzalez, just off the Duarte, and there you can buy the little cans of red, green or yellow curry paste. I believe you can also buy the fish sauce there in bottles. Now go find some fresh Basil (albahaca), chicken broth, meat (chicken, pork or beef) and some crunchy style veggies (or canned bamboo shoots or water chestnuts if you wish), and coconut milk. YOu take a big wok, pour in the can of coco milk with as much of the paste as you can stand to eat hot, let that simmer about five minutes. Add a bit of brown sugar (1 to 3 Tablespoons), add the meat, and cook for about 8 minutes. Add the veggies, a few sprinkles of the fish sauce, a good fistful of the fresh basil, and bingo you have got a Thai curry. Delish.

Indian food, as AZB no doubt will tell you, is a bit more complex to prepare, but not all the dishes are curries and not all are derived from the Mughal kitchen that so many consider quintessentially Indian food. There is a simple chicken in yogurt dish that is mild and delicious and Dominicans will eat it. It is called, of course, Dahi Murgh.

Burmese curries, by the way, are also quite good. They do it a different way. You take a whole onion and pur?e that with garlic and ginger, mixing in turmeric and chili powder and some lemon grass if you have it. Heat that up in 3Ts of oil until smoking hot. Reduce the heat, stir it, simmer and cover for 15 minutes. A red brown color will develop with oil showing around the edge. This is called "see byan" (water gone, oil returned). throw in chicken bits, coating them in the mixture, cover and cook for 35 to 45 minutes. At the end you throw in 1/4 tsp ground cardamon and fresh cilantro.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
MommC, cardomon pods and other Indian spices, pickles and more are available from the Lebanese deli on Churchill esq. Pastoriza, L'epicier de l'orient (Plaza Paseo de la Churchill). Last time I went they didn't have black mustard seeds, though.

I brought some great spices from Guyana earlier this year.

If anyone wants to do an Indian meal, I can contribute several veggie dishes.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Ok, if there are plans setting in for an indian one dish night, I would consider contributing. I can make a killer briyani with basmati rice and a few other dishes. I can also bring in a dal dish for veggie eaters. Last night I cooked up eggplant with potatoes and ate it up with pan lebanesa. Yummmy.
AZB

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
In Boston there is a concentration of good Indian restaurants across the river in Central Square, Cambridge. The better ones always have a good percentage of subcontinentals dining.

When the time is right a daring entrpreneur will open a good Indian restaurant in Santo Domingo or Santiago. Many restaurants were croaked in the Hip?limoto so I wonder how long it will take.

When it happens I'll be shoving my way in. ;)

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
Temptation .... with all this curry talk, it's Indian again today for lunch. Yesterday, it was keema naan with beef, beef kebab, and chicken teeka ... not recommended for amateur chefs. :)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I make a killer chicken tikka, better than any restaurant.
AZB

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Ok....so when I get back expect some PM's from me and we'll get the ball rolling for a GREAT Indian feast!!

Daniel W.

Jan 20, 2003
AZB

AZB is not exaggerating...! I was his guest last week, and he is an incredible host and cook.

I was most impressed how he prepared his basmati rice briyani. AZB pours the spices into his palm until he arrives at the exact amount he needs -- he probably does not even own measuring spoons. The rice was as perfect and delicious as his chicken tikka. I've eaten hundreds of times in Indian restaurants, and AZB gets 5 stars for his home restaurant!

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
Have you ever had a Tarka masala?

It's like a tika masala...

... only a little 'otter!

err, I was just leaving...

Best food anywhere is Vietnamese food. It's like the best of Thai & the best of Chinese merged into one. We ate everywhere, posh resturants to street vendors and were invited into a family home to eat with them, we never had a meal that was anything less than fantastic.

Visited some excellent Indian resturants in the UK including one (which sadly is no longer there) in Lancaster that had a menu that was 'authentic' or 'British' depending upon which part of the menu you ordered from.

I'd love to have the money to open a Thai resturant on Cabarete beach. Exactly the 'surf dude' type of place that would do well.

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
AZB
Killer as in good not lethal, right? :) .... if I can make it to Santiago on my next trip, I hope I can savour your culinary creations. I've eaten at authentic Indian restaurants and westernized Indian restaurants, I like them both.