Insurance & Drivers License

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
I visit for 6 months out of the year broken into 2 or 3 visits. Why would banco reservas insurance division sell me a policy without a DR licence and when I asked if it was necessary they said NO... This is a bank, not some some corner insurance broker. Also I cannot find anywhere in the policy where it states a DR licence or Residency is necessary? I'm not adverse to getting residency but
I really didn't think I need it? I don't work or plan to ever in the DR...

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I have been here a long time and never heard of a claim NOT being paid because of this. I have dual citizenship, so to me it is not an issue. But I know a lot of people that are on a tourist Visa and live here without problems like this one.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I visit for 6 months out of the year broken into 2 or 3 visits. Why would banco reservas insurance division sell me a policy without a DR licence and when I asked if it was necessary they said NO... This is a bank, not some some corner insurance broker. Also I cannot find anywhere in the policy where it states a DR licence or Residency is necessary? I'm not adverse to getting residency but

I have been here a long time and never heard of a claim NOT being paid because of this. I have dual citizenship, so to me it is not an issue. But I know a lot of people that are on a tourist Visa and live here without problems like this one.

I'm not sure anybody will ever be proven 'right' or 'wrong' on this.....

but one thing is certain..... the color is grey.

It's an issue - like it or not - believe it or not - it's an issue

it really comes down to whether you take it on or not.

sort of like -
where there's smoke , there's fire - type of thing

I have made my position clear and only try to show others the possible pitfall.

forewarned is forearmed... huh?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Dominicana On Line
according TO THIS SITE a foreigner with residency can get his/her Dominican drivers licence without going to Santo Domingo and can do the process at the regional centers mentioned, like Santiago and Puerto Plata. Fees schedule is also on the website.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Dominicana On Line
according TO THIS SITE a foreigner with residency can get his/her Dominican drivers licence without going to Santo Domingo and can do the process at the regional centers mentioned, like Santiago and Puerto Plata. Fees schedule is also on the website.

If he has a Cedula he can get his license anywhere in the DR.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
same with the new biometric cedulas...

citizens can get them at numerous locations....

foreigners , even cedula holders, need to go to SDQ

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Dominicana On Line
The Santiago location said that only Santo Domingo allows interpreters in to take the theoretical test. They do not allow it in Santiago.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
When some rental guy says "sure, it has insurance", that statement may not mean be what you think or (want to) believe it means.

Caveat Emptor.

What I've found is that the "insurance" included has a $3-5000US deducible. Which means you're on the hook for everything, including the value of the vehicle.

Feb 7, 2007
In my experience it is more likely that they charge you extra for insurance and then it isn't valid. I paid for full coverage when I rented form Nelly and when I got back with their car they found a bulge on a tire and charged me almost $100.00 US for the tire and wouldn't even give me the tire they charged me for.
Der Fish

Tires and windshields are usually not covered by rental car insurance.

And IMM is immigration.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
It is not necessary for you to have a license to sell you a policy. It is necessary for you to have a license to successfully file a claim on that insurance.

btw, i know nothing about driving in the dr. not fronting.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
It is not necessary for you to have a license to sell you a policy. It is necessary for you to have a license to successfully file a claim on that insurance.
IF you are the driver of the insured vehicle when the accident that is the subject of the claim was generated.

OK so I just want to make sure these are the only things I would need to do as a Canadian to get a DR license?
Change of Origin (from a foreign to a national driver’s license)

National ID card as a foreigner.
Certification from the Embassy or Consulate of the country of origin stating the validity of the applicant’s driving license, duly confirmed and legalized in the Dominican Foreign Ministry
Proof of eye exam administered at the central or local DGTT offices.
Receipt from the Banco de Reservas verifying payment of taxes and services.

Also wth is a DGTT office and where is it in POP?

Really the main reason I haven't done it is bc of anxiety with a Spanish test type thing but it seems I wouldn't have to do that?
Also no blood test for me? I am confused I thought everyone had to do that or is it Americans mostly that I may have heard this from bc of what MA said above about the Consulate not Certifying licenses. Sorry i know this has been talked about a lot but it confuses the crap out of me!!

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
OK so I just want to make sure these are the only things I would need to do as a Canadian to get a DR license?
Change of Origin (from a foreign to a national driver’s license)

National ID card as a foreigner.
Certification from the Embassy or Consulate of the country of origin stating the validity of the applicant’s driving license, duly confirmed and legalized in the Dominican Foreign Ministry
Proof of eye exam administered at the central or local DGTT offices.
Receipt from the Banco de Reservas verifying payment of taxes and services.

Also wth is a DGTT office and where is it in POP?

Really the main reason I haven't done it is bc of anxiety with a Spanish test type thing but it seems I wouldn't have to do that?
Also no blood test for me? I am confused I thought everyone had to do that or is it Americans mostly that I may have heard this from bc of what MA said above about the Consulate not Certifying licenses. Sorry i know this has been talked about a lot but it confuses the crap out of me!!

You need a Cedula to get a license here. If you are a resident or citizen you will have one.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Yes that I have, I was assuming that is what they meant as National ID card.

I will give you a good tip. Go to the BB stadium on the way into PP. This is where the license bureau is. But before you go invest some money. Go to one of the driving schools outside the stadium. Best one is Jose at the far left, if they are still there. They will make your life easy, and you are guaranteed to get a license. It is well worth it.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
What I've found is that the "insurance" included has a $3-5000US deducible. Which means you're on the hook for everything, including the value of the vehicle.

True. Read the fine print. But you can buy more coverage. It costs something like $12 USD per day.