Interested in DR

JuanDolioLiving

Sep 7, 2010
Dios Mio, Juan Dolio is the perfect place for you as everything is withing 10 minutes walking distance and can you find good places to rent right on the beach for a fare price. Juan Dolio is the weekend getaway place for middle class families from Santo Domingo that are tire of the noice factor and conjected roads. And with the new Pinewood Movie Studio opening up in less than the year here there would be a lot oportunities for you. PM if needs more information about the area as I live here moved from Santo Domingo. Juan Dolio is just 20 minutes drive from Las Americas Airport SDQ and just 45 minutes from Santo Domingo. Very safe, secure and tranquile place to live and invest. Send me a private message for more information about the area or just email me bsierra08@yahoo.com. Saludos Bernie

JuanDolioLiving

Sep 7, 2010
Dios Mio, I forgot to mention that we have manicured white sand beaches that are rake and clean everyday, and if by any chance you like golf you can also do that here as we have two golf courses and are in the process of opening another one at the end of this year right on the ocean front.

sharkstooth777

Jan 22, 2011
Dios Mio

I'm currently in Cortecito (part of the Punta Cana area). This is primarily a beach town. If you are talking about 80K to buy a 1/2 BR then it will be difficult here. I have a 2BR/BA that cost about 155K, but it is in a great development about a 5-7 minute walk to the beach. Throw in closing costs, taxes, and 10 to 20K depending on what you want to furnish it with to get a total price. I had seen numerous properties listed down here furnished when I was looking to buy.

It may be possible to get a 1/1 for around 100K +/-, but you will have to look around and negotiate. Caveat Emptor. Get you a reputable lawyer who can review the contract you will sign and who can also perform Title search procedures to ensure you have a clear and valid Title. Also, check the properties thoroughly. Some (or many) properties here are rundown due to owners not wanting to maintain the apartments. Keep in mind that the salt by any coast line will erode/rust (and quickly) anything that is not properly cared for. My primary residence is by the beach in Florida and it is no different there.

Plenty of expats and locals in this area, but it is primarily occupied by tourists (who rent condos or visit AIs which extend in both directions of the beach). There is everything you would need daily nearby within walking distance (restaurants, small groceries, bakery, pharmacy, gym, a few bars, etc. You'll need to get a ride to the large grocery stores a few miles away to buy large amount of consumables/food in order to save money. There are numerous clubs and bars, but there are not many which are consolidated in one central area.

I do strongly recommend that you maintain a place in the US until you both are absolutely sure that this move will work for you. A permanent move (such as to the DR) will be a life-altering experience. It is different (in a way I had not previously experienced during travels to 40+ countries), and your patience will be tested daily if not hourly as you try to get adjusted and settled in to your new residence. It gets easier once you are adjusted and learn how to make everything work the best it can for you, but it takes awhile (me 6 months to a year with 3 visits). I do not plan on giving up my place at the beach in the US. Will spend 4 to 5 months here, and travel when I am not in the US.

Good luck, this is a great place and I'm sure you both will enjoy your stay. D

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
What is not good about PoP? Is it dangerous, or just unattractive?
The beach is not as good as the others mentioned.
By "issues" do you mean the sex tourism? It doesn't really bother me. I doubt it will bother her, but I could be wrong. We're still young (I'm 29 she's 21) and interested in having fun.

Yes bringing sand to the beach and all that goes with Sosua, it's not easy to live there.

DiosMio

Aug 10, 2011
I don't think the "sand to the beach" thing will be a problem. Why is it not easy to live there? Would I just be getting accosted all the time by prostitutes?

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Rent, rent, rent and rent again. Keep a place in the US and spend at least two years renting in different places on the Island with the recommendations of posters here which area's in different towns are good and safe places to rent but do not buy anything unless you are sure that is the place you want to buy.

Every town, inland or on the coast have its own charmes and also is own discomforts. Its up to you to feel them yourself and its not the posters here that can give you that feeling. You have to discover it for yourself.

BigLongBeach

Feb 8, 2010
JDLiving, not related to Dios Mio cause he doesnt have kids but how are the school systems in JD. I have been through 3 times and never noticed more than the beach and the new condos. That's because i have only been there as a tourist. I spent a week there once and didnt notice much going on.

DMio, The new condos in JD look awesome but to be honest when i was there for a week a year ago i didnt see anything going on. It is nice and peaceful for the most part, and there is a beautiful golf course.

DiosMio

Aug 10, 2011
Rent, rent, rent and rent again. Keep a place in the US and spend at least two years renting in different places on the Island with the recommendations of posters here which area's in different towns are good and safe places to rent but do not buy anything unless you are sure that is the place you want to buy.

Every town, inland or on the coast have its own charmes and also is own discomforts. Its up to you to feel them yourself and its not the posters here that can give you that feeling. You have to discover it for yourself.

Yeah, my plan is to explore the country (at least checking out spots that potentially suit me), then to rent somewhere. If I rent somewhere for 6 months and love it, then I'll start looking into buying. If a couple of places really impress me then I'll possibly rent in both before making a decision, or maybe it would come down to what deal I could find.

I'm not looking for anyone here to tell me where the best place for me is with any reliability, I just wanted to get a list of places worth checking out before I take a month or so to explore.

So far it seems like I should focus on the North Coast and Samana. Juan Dolio sounds like its probably a little dead for me, at least for now. Thank you all for your suggestions so far.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
We lived in Jarabacoa, nice inland town in the mountains but living on an Island and having to drive more then two hours to visit the coast, wasn't our idea. Besides that, there is little to do in Jarabacoa at least for us.

We lived in Sabaneta de Yasica but further up the road to Mocca. Nice quite place but a hell of a drive to get to the house. Really not worth it if you have forgotten something from the shop and have to drive that awful road again for another hour.

We visited Juan Dolio and the surroundings of San Cristobal. Never had the urge to rent there, to desolated, JD is dead and San Cristobal...well, work in progress so not for us.

No way we want to live in either Santo Domingo or Santiago, to much noisy cities and we have enough of noisy cities, to visit yes, to live no.

We like to visit Las Terenas but we don't want to live there, its an expat enclave with little Dominican residents so not for us, we visit for the beaches and the great food.

We visited a lot of properties and drove a lot around Cabrera, Rio San Juan, Las Canas and its beautiful, no doubt about it but...there is nothing going on there. Most houses are vacation rentals and although all beautiful, it has no vibe to it.

We live now since 4 months between Sosua and Cabarete and we like it very much. Lots of diversity, young and old, ex-pats and Dominicans, the beach close by, good shops and a few good restaurants (still have to discover some other gems I think) but the vibe feels good here. We see lots of potential for this part of the coast for people like us who seek to have a property with ocean view where you can relax with a nice coctail and enjoy the sun setting, have a lot of privacy because its not overbuild if you choose like us not to build in a gated community, and if we feel the urge, just to have to jump into the car and drive no more then half an hour to be at a restaurant because we just felt like having dinner out.

That's my personal experience of the two years we have been renting here.

Acira

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
For 80K, maybe a cinder block and tin roof house with some "indoor" facilities in a place like Gaspar Hernandez?

At your ages (Jesus H.!! I just realized none of my children are that young) you might think Cabarete. As you grow up, the "beach life" will get boring and other issues such as education and health care will become more important in your lives. Then you move.

You have received really good info here...pay attention to it..

BTW, I am not knocking Gaspar Hernandez, and that might be an option, since it is not that far from the "beach life" of Cabarete yet is a bit quieter....just a thought.

HB

DiosMio

Aug 10, 2011
Sounds like I'm priced out of Gaspar Hernandez. I'm not looking to live, wherever I may end up in DR, forever. Eventually it will probably become a second home.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
For 80K, maybe a cinder block and tin roof house with some "indoor" facilities in a place like Gaspar Hernandez?

At your ages (Jesus H.!! I just realized none of my children are that young) you might think Cabarete. As you grow up, the "beach life" will get boring and other issues such as education and health care will become more important in your lives. Then you move.

You have received really good info here...pay attention to it..

BTW, I am not knocking Gaspar Hernandez, and that might be an option, since it is not that far from the "beach life" of Cabarete yet is a bit quieter....just a thought.

HB

Oh common HB...Gaspar Hernandez??? We have looked there too, nice pieces of land you can buy there at very reasonable prices but take into consideration that all amenities are not well covered plus the fact that Gaspar Hernandez IS a real Dominican town so quite some noise, Dominican style then, in the weekend and on Holiday's plus the fact that if you want to go out to Cabarete and then have to drive back in the dark through Sabaneta, road between cabarete and sabaneta is bloody dangerous at some points in the dark with the houses just on the road and people walking in the dark...euh hmm, not really my choice.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
For 80K you can buy yourself a nice condo in Cabarete as it is your plan not to live full time here.
80K does not buy very much these days in Cabarete, unless you know of a nice oceanfront studio, then I have a buyer and will pay you a commission?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Oh common HB...Gaspar Hernandez??? We have looked there too, nice pieces of land you can buy there at very reasonable prices but take into consideration that all amenities are not well covered plus the fact that Gaspar Hernandez IS a real Dominican town so quite some noise, Dominican style then, in the weekend and on Holiday's plus the fact that if you want to go out to Cabarete and then have to drive back in the dark through Sabaneta, road between cabarete and sabaneta is bloody dangerous at some points in the dark with the houses just on the road and people walking in the dark...euh hmm, not really my choice.

Gaspar Hernandez has an excellent Chinese Pica Pollo......... so I'm told

We buy vegetables there oftentimes - very friendly

Women are good looking ----- whats new ?

Strike prone.......... no escape route..... thats a problem !!

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Gaspar Hernandez has an excellent Chinese Pica Pollo......... so I'm told

We buy vegetables there oftentimes - very friendly

Women are good looking ----- whats new ?

Strike prone.......... no escape route..... thats a problem !!

We visit GH frequently WW but for me its not a town to live in but that is my personal opinion.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Oh no , Hilde..... I am NOT going to live there.....

A younger, Spanish speeaking couple might be happy there..... not me

I'm happy where i am..... so are you !!! :))