Interested in DR

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
you can get a nice unit, quality finish in Las Terrenas for $1500US a meter and inexpensive condo fees. has to be some of the most fabulous countryside combined with climate in the entire planet. the area would have a great shot at it for sure.

the old "prices will rise" theory might be overplayed these days but the new highway to heaven could just move some prices upwards.

bashmentesq

Oct 3, 2011
Hello All,

I have recently began considering relocating abroad to the DR for a year.

Right now I am planning a short weekend getaway their within the next few weeks to celebrate my bday.

Granted a weekend bday trip will not begin to give me insight on whether or not I should actually relocate. However I need to begin visiting DR sometime so why not now. I have been reseraching the country for a few months now and just stumbled across this site. Many threads were amuzing and informative. I was just reading one regarding issues of class and race (started by a jamaican male a few years ago who relocated for work).

Lolitula

Mar 16, 2011
Welcome to the DR (if you do come :) ! I agree that Cabarete's a perfect spot for you both, if you can find work or at least a car to get you from place to place. What do you both do, by the way? Cabarete's a great, fun, vibrant little town for young people with no kids! Best kite surfing, great nightlife, and lots of expats. I used to live there and loved it. Now I'm in a town called Cabrera which is DEFINITELY worth taking a look at, although maybe not ideal for you guys if you like going out at night ;) It's a sleepy-ish place, but so stunningly beautiful, and the friendliest people all over.

So that's my 2 cents! Wishing you tons of luck on the move...very exciting! :)

bashmentesq

Oct 3, 2011
i am an attorney but i doubt if i will be working in the legal field while in DR. i would leave myself open for other career options (teaching etc). born in the us (west indian roots), single, no children. i was fluent in spanish after college but failed to practice and now i can speak very basic conversational spanish. i have had a friend spend a few months in panama for an immersion program but i wanted a little more than just a few month so i am looking at the DR.

for my first trip i want to see the see and not get stuck on a resort hence the choice of santo domingo vs punta cana.

i am going to check the other threads for tips on where to stay and night life during the weekend in SD.

Welcome to the DR (if you do come :) ! I agree that Cabarete's a perfect spot for you both, if you can find work or at least a car to get you from place to place. What do you both do, by the way? Cabarete's a great, fun, vibrant little town for young people with no kids! Best kite surfing, great nightlife, and lots of expats. I used to live there and loved it. Now I'm in a town called Cabrera which is DEFINITELY worth taking a look at, although maybe not ideal for you guys if you like going out at night ;) It's a sleepy-ish place, but so stunningly beautiful, and the friendliest people all over.

So that's my 2 cents! Wishing you tons of luck on the move...very exciting! :)

Lolitula

Mar 16, 2011
Great! Well, if you're interested in teaching possibilities I know that the local International School (AIC) here in Cabrera might be looking for staff, at least for next year. You could come and check it out when you're in the country (it's in the North East). Basic Spanish can be a hinderance, but all is dependant on the work you want to do. Definitely plan on spending a few months and feeling things out prior to selling everything back home and making the giant leap! It's much easier to find work and a great place once you're here in person. Best of luck, and let us all know if there's anything else you need!

capitan1962

Aug 29, 2011
If your Spanish skills are none to very limited you will have a very long road to learn conversational Spanish here. Think the way that the Jamaicans speak English and apply that to Spanish. It will come but takes time. I have lived in Spanish speaking countries for 20 years and constantly have to repeat myself here or ask them to repeat because they use a word I have never heard. Often a slang word from one country means something totally different here. Lots of slang that is unique to the DR.

merrick-one

Jul 18, 2010
merrick-one,, ive been to sosua , cabarete and puerto plata..... i think , you have a better chances of getting your ROI faster if you set up your bar business in SAMANA... i was there and i didnt see a lot of bars though,, and i thought of moving in there,, for me, SAMANA is the best kept secret of DR... ,, ive been to BORACAY , PHILIPPINES,, too,, because im a filipino,, that island is too crowded, ,,,,,