Internet speed solution

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I sure do. When I ping yahoo for example, I get 129 milsecond responses, with google, less than 100. Doesn't make much sense does it?
with dr1, min 118, max 131....
but yet, I click on gmail or google, and wait, and wait, and wait, and wait..
So it sounds like the main problem of slowdons is resolved, and you have a separate problem with Google and Gmail.
Are those the only 2 sites causing you problems?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
That I notice for the moment, yes.
I'll let you know more after a couple more hours of surfing today and tomorrow.
I did notice that now that I've set up my google personal page, the access to gmail from there seems to be substancially faster too.
Interesting..
Good stuff.
Got my fingers crossed.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Rocky, actually, the name is Windows Live Mail Beta
I haven't tried it myself and probably won't.
I don't like the Live Messenger and ripped it out of most of the PC's here and replaced it with an older version of MSN messenger.
I have friends who have had conflict problems with their computers, using the newer version of Yahoo messenger as well, and we had to yank that out too, and install an older version.
Newer doesn't always mean better, and these new programs demand too many resources.
Anyhow, getting off the track here.
The impotant thing is that we advise other DR based DR1 members to change the DNS numbers.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
For instant messenging, use Gaim, it's multi-protocol, it will work for MSN, Yahoo, Googletalk, AOL, ICQ, IRC...etc...
See it here : What Is Gaim? - Gaim

For MSN fans, either in Mac OS, Linux or WIndows, a great alternative is aMsn, an open-source clone (you won't get viruses or spyware with it)... See it here :
Alvaro's Messenger

And yes, Rocky, things seem to work just fine with only the 200's serie of DNS :)

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I'm technically challenged would you PM. me the same instruction's?

Thanks Gringo
Start - Settings - Control Panel - double click on "Internet Options".
The subsequent page that opens up, has a window in it. The bottom one should be "Internet protocol".
Double click on it and insert the correct DNS numbers where indicated.
DNSNumbers600x450.jpg

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Out with the Old, In with the New

Stick with the old versions, the new ones seem to be beta based, non tested just waiting for the populace to use and work out all the bugs.

The old ones didnt work. Gmail and Google were intermittently unavailable to the users, sometimes for long periods. With the new numbers everything is humming along nicely. Test passed. Case closed.

Btw, dont know if you all know this, but Gmail itself, after I dont know how many years in service now, is still beta. Digital photography is still beta. We live in a beta world.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Could someone using the new numbers test the BBC news site because that's another one I was having problems with, as well as Gmail and Google.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Chiri it all works fine. Put in the new numbers. Works without a hitch. BBC, Gmail, Google, sometimes even Yahoo adn a few other sites were for some reason not working with the old numbers, but the with the new ones they do. You can always switch back if you dont like them.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Thank you for that screen shot, Rocky. I finally plucked up courage and went and altered the DNS on my computer all by myself (actually quite something for one who is technologically challenged!) but I don't think I would have managed it without the screenshot. I'm on XP which seems to be accessed a little differently......but I got there eventually. Only remaining question is.........I couldn't seem to get into Hoy or El Nacional tonight through usual click on favourites. Would this be a cache issue?

twincactus

Aug 9, 2004
www.dominicanstotheusa.com
FYI, DNS has nothing to do with your connection speed and everything to do with how fast your computer can look up the IP address of the name you typed in your browser. Changing your DNS settings will not in any way improve the speed of your connection, but it may improve the speed of your surfing experience. Let me explain.

When you type a name in the address window of your browser and hit enter, your computer contacts a central directory called a DNS (Domain name system) server. The DNS server translates your request into an IP (Internet Protocol) address similar to a house number in a street address. So lets say you type in www.dr1.com. The DNS server knows that www.dr1.com is located at IP address 69.41.238.242. This is the only way the servers on the internet know where the domain name is located. Once the address is located, your request can be sent to the server so that your page can be loaded.

The problem you are having is that the DNS servers they gave you (the 196 numbers) are not working properly and my guess is they are overloaded. This means that yourrequest is wating at the DNS server to be translated into an IP address. Until that is done you don't get your page. You should also know that you don't have to use Verizon's DNS servers. There are literally thousands of DNS servers that you could use if you need to.

A word on speed tests. Most internet speed tests are highly unreliable because they send a tiny bit of data through the web and measure the time it takes to return it. The route the data takes can and will be different every time the request is made, and that route will dictate your overall speed. You can get a general idea of your speed from an online test, but don't call your DSL provider complaining if your test doesn't agree with the speed you purchased.

More info on DNS can be found at Domain name system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

-Tim

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
The problem you are having is that the DNS servers they gave you (the 196 numbers) are not working properly
That pretty much sums it up.
Who knows what went wrong with the "196" series DNS numbers?
They worked fine here for 4 years, then one day, just like that, everybody having the same intermittent speed problems at the same time.
My guess is that something is "broken" somewhere, and they can't be bothered to fix it, because the new DNS numbers work fine.
The problem is, they forgot to tell us that.
In the month 1/2 of calling Verizon to get the problem resolved, not one single rep ever offfered that tidbit of information.
Then, when the tech finally shows up, he inserts the new numbers, explains to me the old ones suck, and shrugs his shoulders as to why the reps don't give us the info.
Viva Verizon.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Thank you for that screen shot, Rocky. I finally plucked up courage and went and altered the DNS on my computer all by myself (actually quite something for one who is technologically challenged!) but I don't think I would have managed it without the screenshot. I'm on XP which seems to be accessed a little differently......but I got there eventually. Only remaining question is.........I couldn't seem to get into Hoy or El Nacional tonight through usual click on favourites. Would this be a cache issue?
Glad it worked for you.
Could you give us the links you were trying to access?
We'll try them too, and see if we get the same results.
It may have been them, and not you, with the problem.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Here's to St. Rocky:

You made my day!
Oh dear Chiri listen to what he has to say!

It's really not hard
Not by a yard!

Just follow the instruction
No introduction!

No eerie wiles
Just a big smile!

Rocky, it worked for me. Again, many thanks..

Hb

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Here's to St. Rocky:

You made my day!
Oh dear Chiri listen to what he has to say!

It's really not hard
Not by a yard!

Just follow the instruction
No introduction!

No eerie wiles
Just a big smile!

Rocky, it worked for me. Again, many thanks..

Hb
Anytime, Buddy.
Chiri has a Mac, so the posted instructions are of no help to her.