Inversores

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I Bought a "TRONIX" Battery Today At "Materiales Industriales" For 2,700 pesos

It is 6 volt,225 amps. I needed a battery to replace one of the 12 Motorcraft batteries I bought last year that "Melted"! By the way,the Motorcraft 20 month garantee that VIAMAR ( The LOCAL FORD DEALER) gives was NOT HONOERED by them!! I "RETURNED" the ACID from the battery to them! On the seats of some of the NEW FORDS in their Showroom!!! I wouldn't buy a new car from them,or sit in a car in their showroom for a month or so!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :eek:gre:
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
That would be rather costly, SS, because generators cannot be run at less than full output i.e. if you have 12KW you get the full 12KW whenever the machine is on whether you need it at that moment or not.
I'm pretty sure this is incorrect. I JUST installed a 13kw whole-house propane generator on my humble FL abode (hurricane prep). At idle, it generates 3.5kw, and goes up until the max of 13kw. The fuel consumption varies, depending on load, og .6gph at idle, to 1gph at full output.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I'm pretty sure this is incorrect. I JUST installed a 13kw whole-house propane generator on my humble FL abode (hurricane prep). At idle, it generates 3.5kw, and goes up until the max of 13kw. The fuel consumption varies, depending on load, og .6gph at idle, to 1gph at full output.
Absolutely correct.
If a generator runs without supplying any power at all, of course it still consumes some fuel, but as you start loading it up pretty heavy, you will definitely consume more.
My generator here has an automatic throttling system, that increases the fuel flow, according to load.

moviemouth

Jul 12, 2005
I stand corrected.....

.....and delighted. Thanks going out to Santiago DR, Cobraboy, and Rocky. I guess my problem is that I can only guess at fuel consumption until I can get the *%!#$%$^# dealer over to fix the fuel gauge (been broken since day 1)!

Marc

Absolutely correct.
If a generator runs without supplying any power at all, of course it still consumes some fuel, but as you start loading it up pretty heavy, you will definitely consume more.
My generator here has an automatic throttling system, that increases the fuel flow, according to load.

Soul Siesta

Jun 2, 2005
www.brothersandsistersonline.com
Power - Decisions, Decisions??

Well I've been planning for 3 years now and the closer my 2 apartments get to completion the more challenging my decisions are......for power. I have (2) 1200 sq. ft. apartments across the hall from each other, each with 3 bedrooms, 2 bath, service room, kitchen, and living room. For business reasons, I need to have A/C in all bedrooms, living room, and the service rooms, and A/C's need to (be able to) run when the power fails. In addition to the normal comfort and convenience items (tv, basic lighting, fridge, etc.. The one thing I've found out is that if I want (in RD) what I'm accustomed to at my home (NJ, USA), it will cost more than what is typical in RD. I don't have a problem paying, I just want to make sure (of course) I'm making the best decision for my power needs and not getting overcharged. So, all you experts in this arena (if I may impose on your knowledge once again), I have decided to go with just a generator for all my backup power....if that makes sense. Again, my objective is to (be able to) keep everything running when power fails?I don?t want to have to pick and choose what appliances/AC?s to keep on when the power fails. I?ve been told (for my needs) I require more or less a 20,000 watt diesel generator for all the A/C?s in both apartments and all the basic items as well. I would want a new product (generator) with all the frills (silencer, auto transfer switch, etc.). What could I expect to pay including installation? Remember this is for 2- 1200 sq. ft. apartments in the same building? Also, FYI, my travel to RD (currently) is usually once a month for 5 days each trip, so the other days the generator would be off/not in use. Down the road my apartments could be occupied as a primary residence so I want my decision (if possible) to serve my current and potential needs well. And I would be purchasing all the generator in RD.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Also, FYI, my travel to RD (currently) is usually once a month for 5 days each trip, so the other days the generator would be off/not in use.
In that case you have to have an inverter or the apartments will be left in the dark and become a security risk.
Nothing says, "nobody's home", more than no lights on.

Soul Siesta

Jun 2, 2005
Lights out nobody home??

I don't have a concern for security when I'm not there because of the security guard and physical locale of my apartments. I really don't want to deal with batteries and the maintenance of inverters. I know the generator has maintenance as well, but I rather just deal with that and not an inverter as well. So what kind of price should I expect for the generator and my power needs?

jackieboo

On Vaction without a return ticket!
Mar 18, 2006
Rocy is absolutely right, you'll need an inverter no matter what you decide to do with the generator.

I do have a question. Are the apartments 'stand alone', meaning do you have the space to place the generator? I'm assuming so....

Couple of things to make sure of and then costs:

1. Transformer - what is the size of the transformer? You need to make sure you have at least a 24kva. Here in the DR you own your transformer so if you need to buy one the cost is around $1500.00.

2. (2) Inverters (one for each unit) plus 8 batteries for each unit. $2500.00

3. Top of the line generator with wiring and installation. $18,000.00

That would put your total at between $22,000 and $25,000 for a complete set up. Air conditioners, split units will run you around $1000.00 per unit on average including installation. So far the best deals on air units I've found is Ochoa in Santiago (for the north coast).

Expensive? Yes. Worth the money? Definately.

You'll get your investment back at around 90% on the resale of your units when the time comes as long as you take care of your set up.

Hope this helps.

Soul Siesta

Jun 2, 2005
Inverter vs. generator

The apartments are in a building of 8 apartments including my 2 units...total complex is 72 units. The generator will be out back (with concrete housing and bars for security/theft prevention) wired to remotely start when the power goes out. Also, I'm curious as to why I would "have to have" inverters. If only to keep lights on to make it appear someone is home, that's not a factor for me.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
The apartments are in a building of 8 apartments including my 2 units...total complex is 72 units. The generator will be out back (with concrete housing and bars for security/theft prevention) wired to remotely start when the power goes out. Also, I'm curious as to why I would "have to have" inverters. If only to keep lights on to make it appear someone is home, that's not a factor for me.
You don't need one according to your circumstances.
He must have not read that part of your post.
BTW: That may be a typo, re "90%".
You'll get your investment back at around 90% on the resale of your units when the time comes as long as you take care of your set up.

jackieboo

On Vaction without a return ticket!
Mar 18, 2006
I stand corrected after rereading the other posts an inverter is not needed in addition to the generator.

As far as the 90% - As we all know percentages here are pulled out of one's proverbial behind so here's how I got mine.

When I was looking for an existing home to buy here on the north coast I calculated the difference between purchasing a home with a generator/inverter system as opposed to purchasing without. The difference was minimal and the 90% is high, but the actual return is considerably more than one would expect in the north america market.

The prices for the generator are fairly acurate as I just within the last month had air conditioning installed in my home. Maybe DR-CAFTA will lower the prices... right.

moviemouth

Jul 12, 2005
Ventilation

The generator will be out back (with concrete housing and bars for security/theft prevention) wired to remotely start when the power goes out.

Make sure your generator shed is large enough to provide adequate ventilation for such a large machine (20 KW will be about the size of a mid-size car). I originally had a shed built for a 10.5 KW generator and it seemed to work fine. However, when I was forced to upgrade to a 12KW machine (long story - don't ask) the thing barely fit in, and once there, generated so much heat that it was clear it would burn itself up. Fortunately, the shed shared an outside wall with the garage. So I had part of the wall removed making the former shed part of the full high ceiling garage space. I also had a fan installed high on the wall to move the air. Now the rear door to the garage and the planta shed are open iron gates and when I'm home I always keep the garage door in front open at least inches. There are also several ventilation blocks in the top row of the planta shed part that give a little more ventilation and through which we extended the exhaust pipe to outside.

On the inverter issue, I understand that you won't be around alot. But you said you want all your stuff going when you are here. Machines break and malfunction and that is especially true in this tropical environment. So I ask you again: are you prepared to have no electricity at all - not even a single light bulb - on that dark and rainy Saturday night that your generator breaks down?

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004

Just curious as to whether your condo by-laws address locating a structure and generator in the "common elements" (outside the perimeter of your units)? If not, do you have specific permission of the Association. I would hate to get an assessment after I installed the generator.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003

I'm suprised that the developer is not putting in a generator for the complex. Have you talked with other owners about a going in on a larger unit for your building? I would not count on security 100% to keep your property safe.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Good information/advice MM.

I have a 50KW water cooled and had the gen. room insulated with an air intake on one side and exit out the other with the blower through the radiator. I see this done a lot. I do not hear my generator and have light system to tell me if I'm on street, inverter or gen. I DO hear the generator 4 houses down from me. Advantage of a "sound proof" room is that I can walk around the whole unit and inspect every thing without having to dismantle a sound proofed unit. BTW: It takes me less then one minute to cut off a lock or thru a steel bar with a hack saw.

Soul Siesta

Jun 2, 2005
Generator

After my many travels in 10 years to RD I know the security situation in RD is "always" a concern. Fortunately, I addressed this issue prior to construction and purchase to minimize the concern. Also, there will be no fee for having this generator and it's housing outside the complex (and it does have a silencer). Now if it breaks down (I know it's possible with any piece of machinery), I'll just have to rough it. I'm really not at all interested in batteries, inverters, and the associated maintenance....but I do understand the point. And thanks for the tip on ventilation. Your explanation has me thinking more about that issue and how to best prepare. A generator for the entire building? Great idea, but everyone I'm sure may not be interested depending on their way of life. On security again, NOTHING is absolute....my approach is to minimize the concern. Everyone's insight is great....thanks! I'm making a new post/question on furniture, fridge, stove, etc. Guess I'll start another thread. So all you residents (again) I'd like to hear from you.