Investing in the DR...Robert

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Ah sorry Shad. I don't believe it is going to 30 anyway. I think it is going to rest at 22 which I said over a year ago because I think it will be pegged to the Pesada,

other thoughts...

Gold... Great time to short gold stocks. when Iraq blows over which I think it will gold will fall under 300.

Oil... Same thing

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
It may still go to 30, but i wouldnt bet on it either way right now, as there are easier ways to make money. I was just posting in response to Tony to tell him to put his money where his mouth is...

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
When there is blood in the streets

I believe it was Getty that said that. Certainly that would be the case for DR real estate. It is unbelievably cheap compared to any other tropical destination. I too have been in real estate for 25+years. I've seen long slow declining markets. Nobody wants to buy, but they should. I've seen powerful markets when everybody is saying "I wish I would have bought then." As I read these forums, I see that so many people feel as my wife and I do. We love it there. Everybody we have introduced it to loves it. The American tourist market has not dicovered the DR. They will. I believe that when that happens and they see the values there the DR real estate market could explode. Especially if they ever figure out a REASONABLE method of financing. When we move to the DR (Cabarete) I may market real estate in my home state of Minnesota. Up here it is not uncommon to pay $300K to $800K for a lake home. In the Cabarete/Sosua market there are some pretty excellent houses for under $100K. You can pay for a lot of airfares with the difference. With the dollar gaining strength on the peso along with the above thoughts, I think it is a good time to be picking up some bargains.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
They say the time to pick up Real Estate is when it hits bottom and then it will start to appreciate. Has it hit bottom? That is the big question. I think that on the North Coast the riches in Real Estate is tied directly to the riches in tourism. With Tourism possibly bottoming out it may soon be a good time to buy for appreciation. I would keep my eye on the Tourism on the North Coast to see where it goes. Meanwhile the last times I have been to Cabarete the streets and the restaurants have been real quiet. Just like a churchmouse.

I tell everyone I have a very clean mind since I change it all the time. My wife would say to me at times, well you felt differently 6 months ago and I would agree.

I stopped reading tea leaves a while ago and so far for the number of years I have been going to the DR my take on the Real Estate market has been correct. In the meantime I have been making better than 15% on my money there. Everything is timing. Just don't guess wrong:)

Another good reason to have an Investing Forum so we can catch the changes faster.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
MommC.
....."Land is something they aren't making anymore of!!"
Not strictly true - Look at the new island of sand being built in the shape of a palm tree on the coral reef out in Dubai (or somewhere like that). All the properties heve been pre sold at well above market value!!! We might all learn from this & start building ourselves some more islands!!

Re investents in the DR, I agree with nearly all Jazzcom says (not surprising as we use the same investment finance house!!). I have been investing here for some 6 years now & during the Balaguer & Leonel Fernandez regime I was happy to have my income paid in pesos, I now much prefer the real Green Back!! (And THAT from a BRIT Ex-Pat!!). I consider my investments to be very safe as I visit the President of the company each week & can smell when things may be going wrong. So far I have had NO cause to worry about my investments BUT, ...... I know where the President lives if I need to get my hands on to his testimonials to ensure my investments are SECURED!!!!

House prices HAVE been coming down for some while - has it bottomed out? .... I certainly hope so as I have a house to sell in the middle of town (Puerto Plata). It has been on the market for some FOUR years & there is still no sign of a buyer!! OK, it is more suitable as a business premises now due to the increase in traffic in the center of town & business expansions are few & far between due to the lack of confidence in the present administration!!! Hey Jazz, why don't we set up a Mortgage operation along with our present investment operation, take money from those on this board who want to invest in the country (for the good of the Dominican People) where we charge only 20% pa interest & pay 14% back to the investors?? We could use my old house as the Financing Center!!!! For a BIG FEE of course!!!

Finally, I have been holding my tongue re the 'Investment' Forum but now wish to lend weight to your suggestion that it should be a seperate forum to 'Business'. These are totally seperate in the way they need to be responded to & agree that the 'Investment' forum WOULD receive a great deal of interest. The amount of correspondence I have received over the last 5 years on this subject is only matched by the requests for relocation information I have handled. If I can help in anyway, just let me know.

Best regards to all for a wonderful holiday season - whatever your religion!! - Grahame.

Wales

English Twit!
May 21, 2004
Finance Houses

jazzcom said:
Robert,

I am in email conversations to the tune of 12 pieces a day regarding investing in the Dominican Republic. How about a sub catagory under business called "DR INVESTING"?

I think that there is enough of an interest here for that catagory to do ok.

What say you?
Robert. I found an e-mail this morning that you recommended but have had no reply my e- mail is librian@eastlink.ca
\can you send it again
Wales