Is it just me?

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Sadly I must leave this fascinating thread for a couple of days in half an hour I catch the sardine tincan (guagua) to the capital for an eye test after my cataract ops. There in my best spanish (cough, cough) I shall try and test out the proposition put forward by some posters that in SD I am more like ly to get a yes or no answer

Wao a guagua ride.. AZB won't take a Boladora to go from Santiago to SD, he only travel in "Metro Bus" as this is for high class people only.:cheeky:

JJ

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
'scuse me, i too only take metro :) more comfy :)
as for granca's problem - i gotta say i never noticed that. i get answers pretty much on the subject of the question :) maybe because of my naturally mean face expression? ;) admittedly answers are usually longer than simple yes or no which is probably rooted in dominican chatty disposition.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
cue Robert with "azb is on the money" ........and action !!!!

I couldn't have said it better, thanks. Nice to see you contributing with your worldly wisdom, knowledge and thoughts, especially those pertaining to living and working in the DR, makes a nice change from the one line quips that offer zero value.

Don't worry, I still love you, kiss!

Moving on...

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005
And thanks to that narrow view and attitude people will continue to be safe from being robbed, blackmailed, kidnapped, poisoned, raped, etc, otherwise eventually they get screwed. Sad but true, it is just how things are in the DR.

You do not have a clue how things are in DR. It is very sad that you think that whatever nonsense applies in your country is the norm here. Get out of the box. There thousand of poor Dominicans who have too much dignity. They do not want what you have, steal from you or be your friend because they can get something out of you. It is so sad that maybe you come from what maybe it is called a ?First world country?, but still you have too much to learn about society and culture. And by the way, I am not Dominican.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
You do not have a clue how things are in DR. It is very sad that you think that whatever nonsense applies in your country is the norm here. Get out of the box. There thousand of poor Dominicans who have too much dignity. They do not want what you have, steal from you or be your friend because they can get something out of you. It is so sad that maybe you come from what maybe it is called a “First world country”, but still you have too much to learn about society and culture. And by the way, I am not Dominican.

Although I completely understand your annoyance & frustration with the globalising of SOME features among SOME Dominicans pkaide1, it is not worth bursting a blood vessel over. Try to keep the subject matter under discussion to the forefront of your mind & then the moderators will have no excuse to close this thread.

At least WE are learning something!

Granca ............ I hope you have a fantastic time with your research & look forward to your findings on your return. Why have I got this mental image right now of you welcoming each new entrant to the "Sardine Can' with a halogen torch, sitting them down in front of you & demanding of a straight 'Yes'/'No' answer?
"But DR1 assured me that you would be able to give me a direct answer & everyone believes what everyone says on DR1"

WHAT???? You dont READ DR1??? it is the Bible of the Dominican Republic with so many experts that know so much more about the Dominicans Than they know about themselves
:cheeky: :ermm: ;) ~ Grahame.
(you can strike that last sentance if you feel it might be inflamatory &/or I have overstepped the mark Frank!!)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
And inconsequential to boot!!

I didn't read in any post after AZB's that 'DISMISSED' what he was saying, just the manner in which it was presented. The content matter is (yet again) so off topic & written to inflame that people feel they have to respond - as a result the thread goes even MORE off topic.

Please Mr AZB, can we have Aftab back?;) He may be a pain in the proverbial to some by raising conscious awareness but at least he is articulate & somewhat informed.:cheeky: :surprised

Now, back to the topic of 'not answering questions asked'. (PRETTY PLEASE moderators!!)

As has been shown on many occasions when questions are posed on this board, sometimes the original question is unclear & those wishing to repond have to ask for clrification. If WE are guilty of this IN OUR MOTHER TONGUE, just think of the problems the recipient of the question has when we speak in a language they are not fluent in OR we ask the questions in Spanish & screw up the true meaning!! Are WE communicating clearly enough to be understood?

FURTHER there sometimes where the recipient does not having the csame conceptual understanding of problems that the 'asker' has thereby increasing the problem of not understanding the question. This point was raised in a way quite a few posts ago (in another & somewhat confusing manner maybe) & I do not think he/she ever got a reply. I do not suggest that every questioner is GUILTY of asking a question that the recipient might not have the ability or education to answer - just that we should make sure when asking that our questions ARE BEING UNDERSTOOD & ABLE TO BE ANSWERED! :ermm:

Hopefully this will generate a few statements back that DISCUSS the subject raised by the OP & keep comments re a persons place of residence, lifestyle & other totally inconsequential comments (to this thread) to a helpful minimum! ~ Grahame.

What a total waste of bandwidth. Not a single word which maybe informative to OP or to anyone. In fact, I don't even remember the last time mr.BB has offered any up-to-date info which is worthwhile to anyone or even worth 5 pesos to a Dominican. He always comes out swinging when something is not to his liking.
AZB

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
WHAT???? You dont READ DR1??? it is the Bible of the Dominican Republic with so many experts that know so much more about the Dominicans Than they know about themselves

I think we can drop the bible part, but the rest is ok :)

Maybe you could add...

I like to think of DR1 as the largest pool of knowledge on the Dominican Republic. Plus it has opened the country up to millions of people and in one way or another, touched 1,000's of visitors to the DR.

765,000+ posts, oldest online news archive, 2 million+ unique visitors annually, various print publications on the DR, largest optin mailing DB etc etc etc.

Low bandwidth promo over! ;)

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I think we can drop the bible part, but the rest is ok :)
Ooops, Of COURSE Robert - I was forgetting the 'No Religion' aspect on DR1.

Maybe you could add...

I like to think of DR1 as the largest pool of knowledge on the Dominican Republic. Plus it has opened the country up to millions of people and in one way or another, touched 1,000's of visitors to the DR.

765,000+ posts, oldest online news archive, 2 million+ unique visitors annually, various print publications on the DR, largest optin mailing DB etc etc etc.

Low bandwidth promo over! ;)

Nahhhh! Not my style Old Chap. People would think I had been put up to say it or that I was receiving 'the Queen's shilling' from you for posting something like that!:ermm: :cheeky: ;) ! ~ Grahame.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
WHAT???? You dont READ DR1??? it is the Bible of the Dominican Republic with so many experts that know so much more about the Dominicans Than they know about themselves[/I]:cheeky: :ermm: ;) ~ Grahame.
[/SIZE]

jajajaja, funny, but aren't you one of the very few people who still insists the fake kidnapping was real? hahahahahaha. Now you come out here pointing fingers at others. please BB, we are not as dumb as you think. Times have changed and world has advanced.
AZB

Reactions: Tamborista
May 12, 2005
Ok boys. Calmate. Cono! Take your spat to PM. It should be obvious to the DR1 members who has the track record of being correct in hs postings and advice.

Mar 2, 2008
yawn.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
AZB, catcherintherye and BushBaby, please take your BS to PM's or some other website.

If you post again in this thread, consider your account locked.

Carry on...

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Getting back to the topic at hand, there is a difference between misunderstandings arising from a language barrier and the way some Dominicans use language to be purposely evasive.

This is done deliberately. Yet I find it funny how they hate it when you do it to them...so they certainly are conscious of it when engaging in it.

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
as i've said in an earlier post
i don't think it is an inherited dr. thing

we have many different cultures in our work and it is the same thing

they speak perfectly good english but will do the opposite of what you just told them 5 mins ago :)
they say it wasn't them when you just seen them do it
they say they did it when you watched them and they didn't do a thing :)
i assume it to be from the automatic reaction of fear
be it they will lose thier jobs or get yelled at or feel it is the safest way to stay out of trouble

then the cousin comes to work....
quiet...dependable...does 3 men's jobs in half the time
and you have to wonder :)

Reactions: Berzin

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
as i've said in an earlier post
i don't think it is an inherited dr. thing

we have many different cultures in our work and it is the same thing

they speak perfectly good english but will do the opposite of what you just told them 5 mins ago :)
they say it wasn't them when you just seen them do it
they say they did it when you watched them and they didn't do a thing :)
i assume it to be from the automatic reaction of fear
be it they will lose thier jobs or get yelled at or feel it is the safest way to stay out of trouble

then the cousin comes to work....
quiet...dependable...does 3 men's jobs in half the time
and you have to wonder :)

Who are you talking about?? this don't looks to be about Dominicans...

We are machos man...

JJ

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
AZB's observation about a significant amount Dominicans trying to swindle people based on need isn't far off the mark unfortunately. It even happens among themselves as well.

This distorted sense of "entitlement" is an offshoot of the very strong Dominican virtue of sharing. Like every good thing in this world, there will be a certain percentage that will exploit cultural features such as this based on various number of reasons

The only thing I disagree with Aftab is his tendency to lump all the poor and uneducated people as "bad" and the educated and wealthy as "good". I just haven't seen this as this case neither here nor in the US. Good people are to be found everywhere and no class nor race has an exclusive claim on goodness.

Reactions: whirleybird

Oche

Jan 6, 2004
I guess some people just have to go trial by error no matter what and do not care to heed any advice.