Is it possible?

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Just as I thought. Introducing unsound and bizarre teaching concepts is all well and good for your own off-spring. However to enter a system that is not equipped with the necessary academic gate keepers is troubling.
The basics of learning are just that, traditional and proven classroom teaching. Interjecting strange and bizarre concepts especially to the young is mildly unethical.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Education was the reason we came back to the Netherlands...we were 5 children so when we got older my father decided that we would be better off here.

Guess it is time to win the lottery...;)

Karin I think you need to check first to see if your qualifications, as good as they are, will allow you to work in the R in your field. My wife, who is Dominican has her post grad in educational psychology and yes there is a shortage in the DR. However, Qualifications from one country to another are not necessarily accepted.

Karin Monster

Apr 23, 2014
Karin I think you need to check first to see if your qualifications, as good as they are, will allow you to work in the R in your field. My wife, who is Dominican has her post grad in educational psychology and yes there is a shortage in the DR. However, Qualifications from one country to another are not necessarily accepted.

I have a Master's in Educational psychology and I'm specialized in Gifted Education. Our qualifications are internationally accepted which is the reason we came to the Netherlands. I didn't know there was a shortage so...Thanks! Where does your wife work?
English-taught Master's programmes - Master
Master's programme in Pedagogical Sciences (MSc) - Master

Karin Monster

Apr 23, 2014
Just as I thought. Introducing unsound and bizarre teaching concepts is all well and good for your own off-spring. However to enter a system that is not equipped with the necessary academic gate keepers is troubling.
The basics of learning are just that, traditional and proven classroom teaching. Interjecting strange and bizarre concepts especially to the young is mildly unethical.

Thank you for your opinion, but I would think a bit off topic....duly noted...

donP

Dec 14, 2008
They may not need you(r) services.

That is one thing.

The other is, that the DR, as a developing country (sorry PICHARDO) does not need or see the need to pay relatively much money to highly trained expats.

A lot of things and problems are approached in a 'practical' way (cans opened with knife, toilet paper > corn cob, cheating wife > shot...) :bunny: ;)

donP

Karin Monster

Apr 23, 2014
That is one thing.

The other is, that the DR, as a developing country (sorry PICHARDO) does not need or see the need to pay relatively much money to highly trained expats.

A lot of things and problems are approached in a 'practical' way (cans opened with knife, toilet paper > corn cob, cheating wife > shot...) :bunny: ;)

donP

I get this...I have Dominican family and they also see everyone as an expert if you just say you are...And I actually admire their practicality, but I do see the issue at hand...

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Embracing the culture with less

Guess it is time to win the lottery...;)

It certainly would help. :bunny:

For a family of 5 (as ours) you'd want to budget monthly for approx. 2,500 to 3,000 $ + rent in order to lead a comfortable life(style).

Opinions will vary. (CC needs more, Chip less.)

All the best.

donP

It certainly would help. :bunny:

For a family of 5 (as ours) you'd want to budget monthly for approx. 2,500 to 3,000 $ + rent in order to lead a comfortable life(style).

Opinions will vary. (CC needs more, Chip less.)

All the best.

donP

Personally I don't think that is enough money for a Family of 5, that barely works for just the wife and I in the North Coast!

Karin Monster

Apr 23, 2014
Personally I don't think that is enough money for a Family of 5, that barely works for just the wife and I in the North Coast!

That would be less than what I send my family in the DR a month and it's just 'helping'. But the Netherlands is expensive, but as you all pointed out, we are able to make a good living here.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I dont agree, the Netherlands is not expensive compared to DR, at least not in the capital, and with 3 children. I spend almost twice as much in the supermarket, housing is more expensive (admittedly I have a bigger house for less money here, but no possibility to deduct interest paid from my income. In the Netherlands I paid about 400 euros a month for a 236,000 euro mortgage, here I am paying almost 700 euros for 205,000.

Good medical health is more expensive (up to the standard of the Netherlands). Education is way more expensive. Fuel is more expensive (not per liter, but it is per km).

I was able in Holland to reduce my fixed spending to 2500 euros per month (with 2 children). Here it's more like USD5,000 and being careful to not overspend (in the Netherlands I'd go to AH and buy whatever I liked, the brands I liked, here we shop making choices what we will buy).

We came back to DR with the mind set: earning a lot of money is nice but we can do with less and have the immaterial benefits of the DR. At the end I do regret that decision. I would suggest to anyone to come here keeping in mind that he or she would be able to make enough money to live comfortable. However, I think you can make a good living here in your area. I agree with donP that many dominicans are thinking practically but there is definitely a growing segment that DOES want to invest in 'developed world' stuff. It might even be a status symbol.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Allowance - merecido

That would be less than what I send my family in the DR a month and it's just 'helping'.

Hmm, let me see....

Then, more than 2,500$ (or even 3,000$) goes to the poor Dominican relatives*.

For yourselves you'll need the same amount (probably more).
Plus rent and other imponderabilities, we are talking about 8 to 10thousand $.

Good, I think, you can make it...... :bunny: :bunny:

donP

*)
No, you cannot lower that, they would not understand.....
because it is 'merecido'... :D

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
That would be less than what I send my family in the DR a month and it's just 'helping'. But the Netherlands is expensive, but as you all pointed out, we are able to make a good living here.

Are you sure you are sending 3000 dollars (130,000 pesos) to your family in Bonao and that's just helping? That doesn't make too much sense to me. Or are you sending them a few thousand pesos per month?

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Modern "Allroad" vs. Japanese Truck

Fuel is more expensive (not per liter, but it is per km).

I do like your observation. :bunny:

OMG, how would I like to drive a civilised car (Audi A6 2.0 TDI :bunny: with only 4.5 l/100km) again and not a diesel "truck" with 12 l/100km...

donP

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
More Than US$2,500-3,000 Is Just Helping??

If you are sending that much or more to your family in the DR and they say that is just helping, I have to wonder whether you are being abused. Very few Dominican families have the equivalent of US$3000/month. The minimum wage for the top labor group, those working in the resort industry or for condominiums, for example, is about US$300/month. There are 2 labor groups that earn less as the minimum wage.

The Dominican manager of a condominium complex is earning around US$1000/month (foreign managers probably more.)

If your Dominican family is getting US$3000/month or more, they have a pretty upscale life style by Dominican standards.

Are they doing anything to help themselves, or just living high on the hog on the money you send them. If the latter, they would not be unique.

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
Not possible. Your realistic earnings prospects ...Take your and your husband's engineering income in Europe and divide by 5 or 10?.. if you are lucky enough to find equivalent work. Most of the folks who move here have already saved enough from work in USA, Canada or Europe or have an overseas pension to afford to live here.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I do like your observation. :bunny:

OMG, how would I like to drive a civilised car (Audi A6 2.0 TDI :bunny: with only 4.5 l/100km) again and not a diesel "truck" with 12 l/100km...

donP

imagine me driving a santa fe gasolina that gives me 15 mi / gallon, (15.68 L / 100 km) but then my peugeot 307 little car consumes 14.5 L / 100 km. :-(

texan

Apr 1, 2014
If I ever came here full time to live it would be on a pension. I have a lot of respect for people who come here and make a living here without a pension or a good paying job already lined up. I know it can be done but I would be afraid to try it especially with kids. If not having a pension or a high paying job before you get here at least enough gas to leave for a while (several years).

If you are sending 2500-3000 Dollars a month for just helping out that is a lot of money. That would be paying for a house, sending some kids to school, cable, electric bill, internet, cell phone, food, maid, etc. I guess it also depends on the number of people you are helping out at one time. But as mentioned a lot of people here make $300 a month so for some that would be a monthly salary for 10 people.

Karin Monster

Apr 23, 2014
Are you sure you are sending 3000 dollars (130,000 pesos) to your family in Bonao and that's just helping? That doesn't make too much sense to me. Or are you sending them a few thousand pesos per month?

Omg, no no! I'm talking pesos! Not dollars! I send 5500 pesos (100 euros) to my aunt and the same amount to my grandparents.
Costs have gone up here and especially when your children are not of school age your costs are very high. We spend 1500 euros a month just on child care! House prices have come down but not before they went up a lot! Mortgage, services, insurance and food: 3500 euro. And then gas money (1.80 euro per liter), car, etc. We make a nice living and we barely make it work!

Would really have thought life to be cheaper in the DR!!!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Omg, no no! I'm talking pesos! Not dollars! I send 5500 pesos (100 euros) to my aunt and the same amount to my grandparents.
Costs have gone up here and especially when your children are not of school age your costs are very high. We spend 1500 euros a month just on child care! House prices have come down but not before they went up a lot! Mortgage, services, insurance and food: 3500 euro. And then gas money (1.80 euro per liter), car, etc. We make a nice living and we barely make it work!

Glad we got the amount you are sending clarified.

What caused the misunderstanding was donp's post saying he was spending 2500-3000 $ per month for the family and you replied that you were sending more to your family. Donp's use of the dollar sign ($) indicated he was talking about US dollars, so when you said you sent more to the family we interpreted it to mean US dollars. When we talk about pesos, we usually say pesos or RD$, using $ to mean US dollars.