Is it possible?

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Ok, thought so...that makes sense. First: living in the capital is more expensive than in Puerto Plata. But I experienced that what I spend in the Netherlands goes at least times 1.5 and I'm not even paying for education. Ofcourse that includes luxuries I wouldn't have there, like a sleep-in maid and a laundry lady two times a week, but doing household in DR is much more labour intensive than back there. We consider we can't do without them.

I calculated that I need to be at usd6000 per month to be able to live normal (not luxury) AND be able to travel to the Netherlands every two years with wife and children and prepare for retirement in 25 years. While in the Netherlands that's an income you can easily achieve, it's considered a high income here. Hardly possible as an employee, but doable if you can start your own companies.

Karin Monster

Apr 23, 2014
Glad we got the amount you are sending clarified.

What caused the misunderstanding was donp's post saying he was spending 2500-3000 $ per month for the family and you replied that you were sending more to your family. Donp's use of the dollar sign ($) indicated he was talking about US dollars, so when you said you sent more to the family we interpreted it to mean US dollars. When we talk about pesos, we usually say pesos or RD$, using $ to mean US dollars.

So sorry you guys, had gone to bed and didn't see it until everyone was already flabbergasted! :D

Karin Monster

Apr 23, 2014
Ok, thought so...that makes sense. First: living in the capital is more expensive than in Puerto Plata. But I experienced that what I spend in the Netherlands goes at least times 1.5 and I'm not even paying for education. Ofcourse that includes luxuries I wouldn't have there, like a sleep-in maid and a laundry lady two times a week, but doing household in DR is much more labour intensive than back there. We consider we can't do without them.

I calculated that I need to be at usd6000 per month to be able to live normal (not luxury) AND be able to travel to the Netherlands every two years with wife and children and prepare for retirement in 25 years. While in the Netherlands that's an income you can easily achieve, it's considered a high income here. Hardly possible as an employee, but doable if you can start your own companies.

Got it! I love all your feedback! We got alot to consider that is for sure! My husband has asked around and everyone is recommending Australia! They are actually in real need for mechanical engineers and they pay better than here! And are probably willing to pay for the move.
Great country to live in, good education, etc. Will be missing the living maid though ;) (actually, not kidding!)

I'll get back to you when we know more! This is not a decision made overnight....

Thanks!
Karin

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Got it! I love all your feedback! We got alot to consider that is for sure! My husband has asked around and everyone is recommending Australia! They are actually in real need for mechanical engineers and they pay better than here! And are probably willing to pay for the move.
Great country to live in, good education, etc. Will be missing the living maid though ;) (actually, not kidding!)

I'll get back to you when we know more! This is not a decision made overnight....

Thanks!
Karin

That sounds like a better fit for your family.

Good luck with whatever you decide.