Is it really that bad in The Dominican Republic now?

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
The best thing to do is move to the north pole and build an igloo to avoid all of the danger but the problem with that is there are always Polar Bears on the hunt for food as well.

Another option is to barricade yourself inside a fortress and pay servants to do your shopping etc and if they get murdered you won't have to pay them.

You guys are too paranoid

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2007
It is not often I agree with Chris Colon. And anymore, not often I post here on dr1. However, this time I need to post to make some points and say Chris is right. Reread his post.

I live a quiet life. I never ever go out after dark, even though I live in a gated community. I interact with families, not tourists, and not people here living on the edges or engaging in risky behaviors.

Having said that, I personally know two individuals- one, a 22 year resident of the DR, a family man, a business man, the other, an executive engaged in one of the largest business opportunities brought to the DR in recent years, both of whom spoke to the wrong person at the wrong time.

Each somehow lost 1 1/2 days of their lives, have no memory of the ensuing events and found themselves robbed of all the belongings they last had on their person. We assume they were drugged with what in the US we call the "date rape drug." I am told that it is put on paper and simply wafted towards the individual. That is enough to erase their memory and drug them for at least 24 hours.

I am NOT describing- for you old time dr1'ers- an event from two or three years ago. I am NOT describing individuals who come here as single men or vacationers interested in partying. These events happened within the past month to respectable individuals going about the business during the daylight hours.

There is a price to pay for living in our paradise. Sometimes even worldliness, sensibility, and common sense won't protect you.

Risk, financial and personal, is the price. I love it here on the North Coast of the DR. I will continue to live here. But, I know the dangers and risks. I make my decisions accordingly.

I hope you do, too.

Lindsey

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
It is not often I agree with Chris Colon. And anymore, not often I post here on dr1. However, this time I need to post to make some points and say Chris is right. Reread his post.

I live a quiet life. I never ever go out after dark, even though I live in a gated community. I interact with families, not tourists, and not people here living on the edges or engaging in risky behaviors.

Having said that, I personally know two individuals- one, a 22 year resident of the DR, a family man, a business man, the other, an executive engaged in one of the largest business opportunities brought to the DR in recent years, both of whom spoke to the wrong person at the wrong time.

Each somehow lost 1 1/2 days of their lives, have no memory of the ensuing events and found themselves robbed of all the belongings they last had on their person. We assume they were drugged with what in the US we call the "date rape drug." I am told that it is put on paper and simply wafted towards the individual. That is enough to erase their memory and drug them for at least 24 hours.

I am NOT describing- for you old time dr1'ers- an event from two or three years ago. I am NOT describing individuals who come here as single men or vacationers interested in partying. These events happened within the past month to respectable individuals going about the business during the daylight hours.

There is a price to pay for living in our paradise. Sometimes even worldliness, sensibility, and common sense won't protect you.

Risk, financial and personal, is the price. I love it here on the North Coast of the DR. I will continue to live here. But, I know the dangers and risks. I make my decisions accordingly.

I hope you do, too.

Lindsey

Well said Lindsey. We have been here awhile and knew before we came here and learned alot more while here to keep a low profile and to keep our distance from "new friends" even though THEY have been here for some time. Though I do not know of the situation(s) that you seem to be writing about and we all know that scams and such have been ongoing for a long time. Some are just little scams and some big. I know of a few myself that never get "reported". Myself included.

Sooo...

"I make my decisions accordingly."

As it should be.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2y_CAVvpdjI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xNlBwGgVOMQ?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DMIohDHOSOI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/w7K2InJMZkM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wEz0S7jSnB0?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zFeD91O9GzI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The scary part is that the Dominican media is much more sensationalist than the US media and unlike in the US, the vast majority of Dominicans accept what the media shows them as the truth, with no critical thinking taking place in that acceptance.

But, it is one of the most profitable business models in the country, so don't expect for it to change anytime soon.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Somehow I feel sad for some of the posters here. They claim they live in paradise, but they do not risk to leave their gated community after dark. They apparently do not even risk to walk around their gated communities after dark.

I wonder why. I do not live in a gated community, I interact with the locals, and I never had a problem... Mind you, I do not drive a hummer. I do not like driving in the dark here, but for the reason it is simply madness to do so. Moto's without lights, people dancing on the streets in the dark, cars parked where they should not be... etc...

I would love to go to some of the local carwash discos here... but I would have to drive there...

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I've been living in the country since 1985. It certainly is not the same as it was then. The same can be said for most other places, but this is where I am so the changes here are the ones I am most concerned about.

The Cardinal, the press, and responsible citizens have been calling attention to the corruption, involvement of police and army in drugs, the sad state of the schools, etc., for years. But things just get worse.

I am not optimistic about the coming national election. Many on this board seem to hope that Hippo will be elected, but things will not improve on his watch. What he didn't steal during his first term, he will steal on the second and those around him will do the same.

I have no plans to leave and I feel secure during the day. I interact with locals, speak fairly good Spanish, and believe I am well thought of by the locals who know me. They are not the ones that I am concerned about, however. Most of them are as concerned as I am about what is happening in their country.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
crime
I usually keep abreast of what's going on in Santo Domingo from the states,but it seems that now more than before,all you see in the news is this wave of crime,that gets worst by the day.I was down there back in june this year,and never at any time felt unsafe.I used to think that Santiago and Bani were relatively safe,but now all you heard about it's how some international drug cartels are trying to set base in Santiago and,recently in Bani,three minors were injured on their way to school secondary to a rival gangs shoot out.It's hard for me to imagine this crime wave spreading to places like Naco,Piantini,Gazcue,etcetera,but then again,I'm not down there like some of you guys.Common sense dictates that,most crimes would occur at the barrio level regardless of where in the world you are.So with that said,how bad is it really? The media tends to over exaggerate sometimes.The say the same thing about Caracas,I was there not too long ago and it wasn't half as bad as they made it seem or sound.Sometimes I feel that these statements are made by some guy that has never been out of his Lil cubicle and just typing away and making those statements based on figures and charts

crime sells papers

and fills radio time

hey nnow search all over the country to find the worst crimes and report them all over

i do not think that is is any worse than 7 years ago .. CERTAINLY not in LT where there were CRACK addicts breaking into Homes at night

THEY HAVE LT..

and the CARTELS are very organized.

And they are running the country..

so really.. it is just the CHURCH sqawking because it is losing ITS POWER OVER THE INDOCTRINATION of the people

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
It's that bad, and there's even a DR travel advisory by the US State Department informing wary travellers to take common sense precautions. Now, about comparing apples and pear, while Venezuela saw almost 20.000 homicides last year, the DR had less than 2000...

It is only that bad if you are involved in stupid goings on. Live a normal life and you have little chance of noticing any change. Very few to pretty much no law abiding expats, tourists or natives get caught up in the bullsh1t of crime.

If you are asking if the drug world is becoming more and more violent, then yes, that is something that has gotten worse as people become more greedy, and kids find the whole scene attractive, too much TV and appreciation of dumba$$ gangsta rappers, thugs glorified directly for the youngsters and idiots that buy into i
t. IMO another disgrace ignored and allowed to continue as it turns over so much money.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
The Date rape drug Lindsey was talking about is called roofies and you wouldn't need them for the ladies here but this reminds me of the Rolex bandits from Fort. Lauderdale.

It's tough all over as while I was posting this one of my employees from the U.S. called me for a $50 advance as there is no food in the house and her husband can't find anywork and they have 2 children.

The double dip global recession is here for at least 2 years so hunker down and be prepared!

nas

Bronze
Jul 1, 2009
"The scary part is that the Dominican media is much more sensationalist than the US media and unlike in the US, the vast majority of Dominicans accept what the media shows them as the truth, with no critical thinking taking place in that acceptance.

But, it is one of the most profitable business models in the country, so don't expect for it to change anytime soon."

Yes, the media is known to hype things up. How else would they sell their stories.

But I would have to agree with Chris Colon 100%. Things are very bad in DR. We know about muggings, kidnapping, killings not only through the media, but also through word of mouths (many, many mouths).

DR in in peril. It's citizens are terrorized by thugs. One always have to be aware of ones surroundings, regardless of the neighborhood. One has to worry about ones dress code not to attract attention. One has to downgrade ones life style not to attract attention. One has to drive a wreck of a car not to draw attention. One shall be aware of ones surroundings while on a cell phone, else one loses it..

Friends, this is not normal. I don't have to do any those things in Queens (Bayside), NY.

DR residents who feel safe there, are simply on denial. The first line of defense is usually, "It is as unsafe" as everywhere else".

I am sure that everyone who brings these things up is not trying to diss DR. On the contrary, we find it difficult to comprehend that our country (for Dominican and foreigners) has gotten so bad; and it is marching towards getting worse!

I know it would be difficult and possibly impossible, but we, as a society, must think of a plausible solution to address this epidemic.

Yes, it must be hard to demand from our corrupt politicians, police and arm forces to stop their assault against their citizens, but something must be done. That is of course, if one wants to call DR home for a few more years to come.

We lost a great avocate against corruption, Freddy Beras Goico. Who is filling his void, nowadays?

I am not implying for us to take arms against the government. This will be crazy... But there must be something we could as a society to stand up for this ply.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I suppose it all depends on where you live.

Here in Santiago I can say we have had less killings in the immediate area in 5 years than we did where we lived in Orlando in the same amount of time. No don't ask me about La Otra Banda and I won't tell you about Pine Hills. I live in Los Llanos de Gurabo.

DR2001

Jan 2, 2011
I live in Pittsburgh and just watched the news, pretty raunchy here in one of the country's most livable cities! For 11 years visiting the DR we have been lucky and I think being aware of your surroundings and not placing yourself in bad situations is probably still the best advice, here in the states, the DR or anywhere.

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
agreed

"The scary part is that the Dominican media is much more sensationalist than the US media and unlike in the US, the vast majority of Dominicans accept what the media shows them as the truth, with no critical thinking taking place in that acceptance.

But, it is one of the most profitable business models in the country, so don't expect for it to change anytime soon."

Yes, the media is known to hype things up. How else would they sell their stories.

But I would have to agree with Chris Colon 100%. Things are very bad in DR. We know about muggings, kidnapping, killings not only through the media, but also through word of mouths (many, many mouths).

DR in in peril. It's citizens are terrorized by thugs. One always have to be aware of ones surroundings, regardless of the neighborhood. One has to worry about ones dress code not to attract attention. One has to downgrade ones life style not to attract attention. One has to drive a wreck of a car not to draw attention. One shall be aware of ones surroundings while on a cell phone, else one loses it..

Friends, this is not normal. I don't have to do any those things in Queens (Bayside), NY.

DR residents who feel safe there, are simply on denial. The first line of defense is usually, "It is as unsafe" as everywhere else".

I am sure that everyone who brings these things up is not trying to diss DR. On the contrary, we find it difficult to comprehend that our country (for Dominican and foreigners) has gotten so bad; and it is marching towards getting worse!

I know it would be difficult and possibly impossible, but we, as a society, must think of a plausible solution to address this epidemic.

Yes, it must be hard to demand from our corrupt politicians, police and arm forces to stop their assault against their citizens, but something must be done. That is of course, if one wants to call DR home for a few more years to come.

We lost a great avocate against corruption, Freddy Beras Goico. Who is filling his void, nowadays?

I am not implying for us to take arms against the government. This will be crazy... But there must be something we could as a society to stand up for this ply.
Living in Whitestone Queens,with three small kids,DR doesn't seem that attractive anymore.I was planning to arrive by next summer,but seeing how things are going down there is making have second thoughts

jeviduty

Jul 1, 2011

I hope you do, too.

Lindsey

The way I see it, they would have probably been killed in most other latin american countries (instead of drugged).

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
"
We know about muggings, kidnapping, killings not only through the media, but also through word of mouths (many, many mouths).

Look you live in Queens

Chris lives in SD

I live in SD

There are 3 plus million people in SD and HOW MANY DAILIES.. what , SEVEN or so

and how many local TV stations... about the same

and they have to fill the pages

they are not talking about

matas de far fan

are we on one of the fronts of the drug war?

yes

Are we Ciudad Juarez?

n0

IF you want to be out of danger from the CARTEL WAR

you must move BELOW IT

as in ARGENTINA or CHILE

as the product is coming out of Bolivia and Peru up through Columbia and Venezuela

the far east has the heroin trade so pick carefully there as well.

if you do not have any ties to this island.. and if you are looking for a more peaceful place..

then you should look SOUTH

nas

Bronze
Jul 1, 2009
I suppose it all depends on where you live.

Here in Santiago I can say we have had less killings in the immediate area in 5 years than we did where we lived in Orlando in the same amount of time. No don't ask me about La Otra Banda and I won't tell you about Pine Hills. I live in Los Llanos de Gurabo.

Comparing DR (any provinces) with a developed country, especially US, is not a fair comparison.
In the US you have people from every corner of the world. In DR, it is mostly us. We should not be killing each other. But that's just me!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
as long as the powers that be are going to keep fully bilingual young men working in offices in Lincoln for 15.000 pesos a month

you will have them opening up the CRACK in the barrios

you ELITE are just as MORALLY REPUGNANT here as they are in HAITI

nas

Bronze
Jul 1, 2009
Look you live in Queens

Chris lives in SD

I live in SD

There are 3 plus million people in SD and HOW MANY DAILIES.. what , SEVEN or so

and how many local TV stations... about the same

and they have to fill the pages

they are not talking about

matas de far fan

are we on one of the fronts of the drug war?

yes

Are we Ciudad Juarez?

n0

IF you want to be out of danger from the CARTEL WAR

you must move BELOW IT

as in ARGENTINA or CHILE

as the product is coming out of Bolivia and Peru up through Columbia and Venezuela

the far east has the heroin trade so pick carefully there as well.

if you do not have any ties to this island.. and if you are looking for a more peaceful place..

then you should look SOUTH

I do have ties to my country. I am Dominican, and very proud of it...
I am simply not naive enough to think nothing is wrong, when everything else points to the contrary.

Again, I am not dissing your adopted coutry. I am merely stating facts and my opinions. I believe this forum lends itself for it.