Is it really that bad in The Dominican Republic now?

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002
The crime picture is very serious now. Try to stay away from tourists areas - Sosua, BC, Cabarete, Bavaro, Santo Domingo. In campo there is less crime. Do not get too close with Dominicans so that they would visit your home. You NEVER KNOW who is your current visitor and what he has in mind.

Yes, don't talk to tourists, don't talk to Dominicans, you never know.

Don't talk to your wife, she might be cheating you.

Don't talk to your dog, he might bite you.

Be careful, my friend, and have a nice time.

Barnabe

UGACHRIS

Jan 31, 2010
I live in downtown Atlanta, Georgia. Since hurricane katrina Atlanta is now a melting pot for crime. I do live in the highlands area which is very safe, however if you were to read the news you would think it is a war zone.

stingray73s

Oct 8, 2011
Africaida and Ringo have hit it on the nose " Journalism" does sensationalize most things. Look at the lead up to elections in any country...great example. Also, the current state of the ecomony has been grossly exaggerated by the media. Most companies are doing much better than the media portrays. The oil companies certainly are...earlier this week a barrel was selling less than $80 and now is sloghtly over... oil companies tell you the price at the pump is from what they paid last month...well explain how the price goes up before the weekend when most are travelling and never dreceases much more than a couple of cents otherwise. Not sure how much the prices change in the DR, but in Canada you can count on it daily.

stingray73s

Oct 8, 2011
Sometimes people get fooled. When you have stars in your eyes...ie in love, lust, or blinded by the palm trees and beaches you don't see clearly. You don't see the terrible poverty, the crime, the garbage....etc. After a while cultural shock sets in, usually about 6-9 months after you've move to a place. You start to question everything. How you react to this cultural shock is how you see the place in the future.

You don't have to live there to see the poverty...just have to have travelled to a few countries and not be afraid to leave the resort!

stingray73s

Oct 8, 2011
Sorry folks...should have read the whole string before my first post...but...enjoying reading all of the comments. Hmmmm some sound like 20 yrs ago growing up.... no crime, or little and didn;t pay attention to it... little drugs, or they weren't publicized...and a lot less corruption...or we didn;t hear about it. Well, it happens everywhere. No matter what our current situation is, we are all noticing all of this alot more than we did even 10 years ago....don't you think?

sparky11867

Jan 5, 2008
See post #11. You say you have been here since 82 and I respect your views. Wife and I have only 20 or so years here.

It's the "all inclusive" that put the "Armageddon" on the tourist. It IS great to leave the AI and have a good time with a couple of things in mind. Like having a mind.

I totally agree with you, Ringo. I have been to the DR numerous times, and I ALWAYS leave the hotel/resort I'm staying in. On our last trip, we drove in a four-wheeler from Las Terranas to Samana, and we never had a problem. We saw a part of the country most tourists never see, and it was one of the most memorable parts of our trip.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I've never felt unsafe in the Republica Dominicana, never. And I do not stay in the hotel, in fact we are always out, travelling mingling with people. The only time I was upset is when a foreman on a farm shot a bullet to the ground.

Ya never know if that bullet shot into the ground will hit a rock and hit you. I'd be upset too. I shoot up and over the ocean with my warning shot.

Just kidding. Sort of.

Travel, mingle and enjoy but do it while knowing what's going on around you. Common sense.

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
I just found an old thread from 2003 on burglaries,I feel that some people might benefit from others experiences.Do anybody care to share their experiences whether being mugged or burglary,and what measures or actions they could've done or have done to prevent such occurrence?