Is it really that bad in The Dominican Republic now?

Lolitula

Mar 16, 2011
Um, just a thought...for all those of you reporting back on the high crime rate of the DR, how absolutely hell on earth it is now, how terrible we - as foreigners - have it living here, etc. etc. etc....here's a thought: You can always go home :)

I came here with my eyes wide open, but my mind open, too. I'm fully aware there is crime here (as anywhere in the world), there are immense divides between rich and poor, and that there is tremendous injustice. The fact is, I MADE the choice to come down here and if I heard myself sounding as bitter, unhappy and altogether hateful of the DR as some of you, I'd be more likely to pack up my bags and get the hell out. Just my 2 cents. Love, Anna :)

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Um, just a thought...for all those of you reporting back on the high crime rate of the DR, how absolutely hell on earth it is now, how terrible we - as foreigners - have it living here, etc. etc. etc....here's a thought: You can always go home :)

I came here with my eyes wide open, but my mind open, too. I'm fully aware there is crime here (as anywhere in the world), there are immense divides between rich and poor, and that there is tremendous injustice. The fact is, I MADE the choice to come down here and if I heard myself sounding as bitter, unhappy and altogether hateful of the DR as some of you, I'd be more likely to pack up my bags and get the hell out. Just my 2 cents. Love, Anna :)

Sometimes people get fooled. When you have stars in your eyes...ie in love, lust, or blinded by the palm trees and beaches you don't see clearly. You don't see the terrible poverty, the crime, the garbage....etc. After a while cultural shock sets in, usually about 6-9 months after you've move to a place. You start to question everything. How you react to this cultural shock is how you see the place in the future.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
personally i totally lack interest in good news. nothing more lame and boring than positive shrieks of joy. i enjoy bad news thou, because dominican periodicos tend to be full of pathos and unintentional humour when describind sad events.
therefore i can assure you that it is not really "that bad" in DR. sometimes a day or two go by without any interesting bad news worth my attention. and even on good bad news days there may be only a handful of stories. thus i must assume that what happens in DR is mostly boring good stuff.

as for those old bores who continiue their "why don't you just go back home" post - why don't you follow your own advice and stfu? since when a human being has no right to complain? i do not support this terror of wide grin. it only looks good on clown's face. why so cheerful, damn it? i like being miserable, thank you very much. and we'd get nowhere if we had to leave whatever we complain about. certainly the world would be full of divorcees and orphants because god is my witness that i have never seen or heard about anyone who never once complained about their partners or kids...

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
It is pretty bad, I dunno why but I thought today was Wednesday and took my daughter to ABC's only to find it closed, obviously I am going insane. Roll on Scotland!!

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
For those who think that living here is paradise 24/7 well wipe the sand off your a** and open your eyes to the real world. We have problems just like any other large city, just add in lack of electricity, water issues, god awful traffic (Capital). Its called life...

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
For those who think that living here is paradise 24/7 well wipe the sand off your a** and open your eyes to the real world. We have problems just like any other large city, just add in lack of electricity, water issues, god awful traffic (Capital). Its called life...

We have little traffic, water or electricity problems. Of course we are prepared.

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
I'm willing to fight for the cause. Where do we begin?

No offense but what makes you think that this doesn't happen in the States. We had more than a few home invasions in Orlando and we were always terrified because we couldn't put bars on the windows.

As far as drugs going, I've got to ask my self if you live on a deserted island or something because the drug problem in the States makes the DR look saintly by comparison.

Finally, with regards to single mothers I doubt the US is very much different than the US.

BTW, I used to live in Moca and have family there. Everybody is worried about these types of crimes where innocents are targeted but from my vantage point it happened enough in many places to live to make people feel afraid.

-No offense taken but I clearly stated that Utopia is non existent.
I have many reasons to love and defend the DR but that doesn't dismiss our reality (that the average person doesn't or can't make a difference).
I live with another 359,000,000 people in the US and I know that my vote, my opinion and my tax dollars do make a difference. Yes, we have our fair share of problems. Problems that the average poor Dominican would trade their right arm for. The fact is that the social, educational & political issues are correlated with crime, economy and whatever the next wave may be here or there. No rose colored glasses here. Unity makes strength! The Dominican people have the power to make a stance. Where do I sign up?
Oh! And in regards to Orlando, yes, a nice place to vacation -but that's it!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I have many reasons to love and defend the DR but that doesn't dismiss our reality (that the average person doesn't or can't make a difference).
I live with another 359,000,000 people in the US and I know that my vote, my opinion and my tax dollars do make a difference. Yes, we have our fair share of problems. Problems that the average poor Dominican would trade their right arm for. The fact is that the social, educational & political issues are correlated with crime, economy and whatever the next wave may be here or there. No rose colored glasses here. Unity makes strength! The Dominican people have the power to make a stance. Where do I sign up?

I can't remember how many times I've had a discussion with a Dominican here about how great the US is. For some it could be and others not so much. My point is you being Dominican have had a lot of cultural pressure to believe that the US is the promised land and therefore can't make an unbiased judgement.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Many Hispanics on the lower economic scale all over the LA community are generally fascinated with the US and want to live there. The ease of finding work, supposedly good public schools, cleanliness, appearance of order and a functioning police force are very enticing to say the least. Nonetheless, many of these immigrants are finding out that it's a doubled edge sword as those w/o a professional education must work very hard to make ends meet. For some the sacrifice is worth it. For example, one of my best friends parents growing up were from Central America. Furthermore, as the US deviates more and more from a Christian based society to the point of omitting all religious references in schools, etc not to mention increases the whole homosexual/transgender indoctrination of out kids I expect attitudes among Latinos to be changing drastically in the future about the situation in the US.

I have in fact heard a number of Christian and Catholic preachers here in the DR speak about the US's moral decline over the last years. I have also talked with Hispanics in the States about this and many are concerned but feel they will be able to offset this secular in your face propaganda because of the still mostly strong family tradition that remains in the Latin culture.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Your vote?

Ahem, do you even know who actually votes the president of US into power?

Here's a hint: it's not the people. ;)

Interestingly, Dominican elections, on the other hand, are actually based on popular votes.

:cheeky:

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Your vote?

Interestingly, Dominican elections, on the other hand, are actually based on popular votes.

Upon what vote is the vote of the electoral college based?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Upon what vote is the vote of the electoral college based?
The people.

That's why in 2000 Al Gore won the popular vote and yet, everyone got George Bush as president. Just as the people wanted judging by how the electoral votes coincided with the votes of most Americans. :speechles

In that same year, most Dominicans voted for Hipolito and they got Hipolito as president.

Hm, now that I think of it, maybe adopting the Electorate System would be good to keep the PLD in power, regardless if most Dominicans want that or not in the next elections. Afterall, the Electorate makes the people's wish come true, as was seen in 2000 in the USA.

Last edited:

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
The people.

That's why in 2000 Al Gore won the popular vote and yet, everyone got George Bush as president. Just as the people wanted judging by how the electoral votes coincided with the votes of most Americans. :speechles

In that same year, most Dominicans voted for Hipolito and they got Hipolito as president.

Hm, now that I think of it, maybe adopting the Electorate System would be good to keep the PLD in power, regardless if most Dominicans want that or not in the next elections. Afterall, the Electorate makes the people's wish come true, as was seen in 2000 in the USA.

Bush was a disaster but what kind of president would Algore have been?

Top 10 Inconvenient Truths About Al Gore - HUMAN EVENTS

One thing Hipolito had all over Bush and Algore was that he knows yuca and platanos inside out.

If you think things are bad here now wait and see what happens if there is a repeat of the Hipolimoto*.

* Hipolimoto = a disaster far worse than terremotos or maremotos. To be fair a Hipolimoto can reduce poverty because so many pobrediablos may die of hunger.

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
Your vote?

What I found interesting was your ignoring all the other times that a U.S. voter may cast his/her vote, including at the state and local levels - voting isn't just for the presidential election you know.
:classic:

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
Just curious

Well I do not have to be indoors before it is dark

I call Apolo Taxi and go everywhere I want

I walk in my neighborhood to five or six of the best restuarants in the city

I go out to the Theater or Concerts as often as I please.

Chris stays in

I do not

I do not go WALKING about at night

outside of my 7 block radius.. which bounded as it is by the Melia, and the Jaragua, and the PLD HQ is about as heavily patrolled and safe an area as exists in SD.

And there are other neighborhoods which are equally safe and secure.

You drive..

And you take your children to their events etc etc

But in order to EDUCATE your chilldren properlly here you must pay for the BEST schools.. and there are only a handful.

AND you must live in the BEST neighborhoods... Mine is great but does not have the best high school.

so you have to pick...

and you CANNOT run out of money..

Not if you are pulling your kids out of a decent public school system,.

Do you guys do this under 80000 $ DR pesos?

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
I've been traveling to the DR several times a year, to numerous towns and cities, for various short and long-term durations. Frankly, I see changes, but no more or worse than in other poverty stricken areas both here in the US and in other countries.

Want to see desperation. Try Santo Domingo. I mean the barrio in Colombia.

Look, it's a deep global recession in first world countries around the globe. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure what kind of effect that would have on a tourism-and-export reliant economy like the DR.

That especially goes for the drug trade. Desperate people aren't as interested in drugs as in the seduction of runaway drug profits. That will continue so long as we fight a "war" up here while coddling so many users. De-criminalization would make the most sense, but I imagine the people most likely to lobby against that would be the dealers themselves.

Look, there's no "paradise lost" syndrome happening. These folks have dealt with Haitians, Americans, Trujillo, and God-knows-what-else, and folks here are acting like it's the end of the world because some places are looking a little more like Detroit than Destin. Welcome to the depression.

Still a great place, IMHO.

olmectech

Jul 9, 2010
Santo Domingo is no joke right now. My family is moving back to US to escape the crime wave that hit our area. Almost every house on our street has been a victim of some crime recently. I feel the only reason we have been lucky is the 10 foot wall with barb wire I have around the house with dogs guarding the inside. They have to leave the house everyday for work and school, and that's when things get tricky. They are tired of being a prisoner inside of their own home. The US has problems, but compared to that is like living in Disney land.