Is the Dominican Republic a Third World Country?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
To Those On This Forum, Who contiuosly Harp, That NYC Is More Dangerous

Than the DR, "$UCK ON DIS!!!"
NYC had 414 murders this year, " La Policia National" has a bigger "Body Count" than that!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

May 29, 2006
Once you have an IKEA, you're no longer a third world country. There are dozens of international franchises in the DR now. Some of which(including IKEA) I wish I had in my town. Things haven't changed much in the rural areas, but then again, things aren't great in rural parts of the US either.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Than the DR, "$UCK ON DIS!!!"
NYC had 414 murders this year, " La Policia National" has a bigger "Body Count" than that!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Only 414??? Try 500 murders for the city of Chicago. I hate these stats :cry:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
When I am elected Mayor of NYC, you will be able to "smoke" where you please, while enjoying a 32 oz. "BIG GULP" to wash down 2 lbs. of "French Fries" cooked in pork fat !!!!!!!"
Soon to be Ex Mayor of NYC, Bloomberg???
That's what you get when "Rich Guys" can pay for their own election!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC, The, "Fat Parties" Candidate!
Our Slogan is:
"We All Die Young, but with a big Smile On Our Faces!!!!!!!"

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
Now you have me worried as I was planning to visit an old pal who lives in Chicago but he didn't mention it was so violent. My pal and I come from a village in Co Cork where there has only been 2 recorded murders in the last 70 years.

Only 414??? Try 500 murders for the city of Chicago. I hate these stats :cry:

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
The DR has both 1st, 2nd and 3rd world characteristics. A large unemployed, under educated number of people living on or below the poverty line, Third World. Unreliable power and unavailable potable water, Third World. Very poor pay causing a corrupt police and military, Third World. Highly improved infrustructure, highways, mass transit , Airports, Second World. World class tourist industry, First World. Large developed cities, entertainment and cultural choices, First World. Environmental concerns not being met, Third World. Overall the DR is a developing country with the arrow showing definite improvement. Continue fiscal scrutiny by the DR government will go a long way to continuing the climb to the 1st world.

LTSteve

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
The DR has both 1st, 2nd and 3rd world characteristics. A large unemployed, under educated number of people living on or below the poverty line, Third World. Unreliable power and unavailable potable water, Third World. Very poor pay causing a corrupt police and military, Third World. Highly improved infrustructure, highways, mass transit , Airports, Second World. World class tourist industry, First World. Large developed cities, entertainment and cultural choices, First World. Environmental concerns not being met, Third World. Overall the DR is a developing country with the arrow showing definite improvement. Continue fiscal scrutiny by the DR government will go a long way to continuing the climb to the 1st world.

LTSteve
That is an excellent way to describe the situation, there are First World characteristics but it is a short list. Most of the DR is still underdeveloped and it will be a looong rough ride...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Why Not????
Dominicans blame everything "Bad" on someone/thing else!
"No Es MI Culpa!!!!!!!!"
Should be on the DR's "Bandera"!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

slas7713

Aug 9, 2004
When I think about what makes up a third world country I think lack of human rights, of lawlessness, corruption, huge class divides and serious lack of basic services, anything done or involving the government doesn't actually work, serve any purpose or is very poor. It seems that behind any third world country is a bad government.
Do I think this country qualifies? How many of the above do you think qualify?

I agree totally with this one.

May 29, 2006
Times have changed for most of the DR.

I visited a small rural village called Rio Limpio some 25 years ago near the Haitian border.
I'm sure there are some places still like this, but this was the norm back then in the campo:

No electric-only light at night was from homemade kerosene lamps
Women fetch water from a stream and do their wash there
Eggs imported from the city. Chickens are raised for meat but no feed for local egg production.
Main starches are plaintain and yucca. Rice preferred and pasta a luxury.
Main currency "Medio pesos" partially silver? 12.5 grams. Used for balance weighing
Average age around 15 or 16. About a quarter of the village under 5
Most kids barefoot until six or seven. Common cause of parasites.
Boys naked until 3 or 4, then just a shirt until school age.
Houses made of palm slabs with thatched roofs. Some have tin. Most leak in downpours.
School made from cinderblocks. A handful of houses are cinderblock, but the exception.
Chickens, then Goats then Pigs are livestock. A couple ducks. No Cattle in town.
Milk only available condensed in cans. Expensive. Goat milk more common.
One or two trucks in town and a half dozen motos.
Most travel done by hitching rides on delivery trucks. 15-20 people per truck, sometimes on hood.
Music limited to boom boxes. Batteries are expensive.
Most cooking outside with wood. Charcoal preferred but more expensive.
Colmado's most important goods are cooking oil, rice, seasonings, kerosene, canned meats.
Garbage not an issue. Almost all waste is compostable or edible by livestock.