Is the Dominican Republic a Third World Country?

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Chiri,
a Private Company, yes, but providing a service to the Public, available for Everybody and 24/7.
around the Globe it is not uncommon that such Public Services such as Electricity are provided/distributed by Private Companies working within the defines of a Gubmint given Rulesframe.
even 1st World Countries such as Germany have Private Providers adding to such Services in specific Area.

Mike

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
It just makes me wonder... If one is to call the DR a third world country, crossing well into Haiti what would you call that then?

the absolute Bottom of the Foodchain,
and the DR is many Levels above that of course.
I would count the DR to the Developing Countries,
and compared to some Big Shots they did come out of that Worldcrisis Thingy not that Bad IMHO.

Mike

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
On average? Don't make me laugh.

Unplanned outages?

Don't think so.

Portal de Circuitos - CDEEE

Also, 51% of electrical circuits from the CDEEE receive electricity over 99% of the time.

Hence, 49% of the DR is a third world country. Since 51% of the country is not third world the country itself on average is not a third world country. Or is it?

Such DR government provided statistics are so confusing. By the way NALS. The data on that website is an ABSOLUTE LIE. Either that or Dominicans have not yet learned how to tell time.

Justice809

Dec 25, 2012
Yeah.. and all the years that my city people payed the light bill twice a month was just for the pure fun of it. We do pay for the light... it just never comes.. just like water or any form of organized law enforcement. Its a third world country.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Yeah.. and all the years that my city people payed the light bill twice a month was just for the pure fun of it. We do pay for the light... it just never comes.. just like water or any form of organized law enforcement. Its a third world country.

There are a large number of people from very poor to the very rich who do not pay for electricity. The government looks the other way since they have no balls to stop these crimes of theft of services. Until something changes don't expect the electricity situation to improve. .

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Don't waste time to try to list things which don't "work" here in the DR. Lets make a list of things which do "work" in the DR (except DR1). Will be a very short list...

mbgmike

Jan 17, 2012
Another Bob Saunders. A " texan" in the Dominican Republic where everything is SMALL who would have thought.

Si.. I am the Camu Cowboy jajaja That is where we started are Large Ranch... We bought one acre jajajajaja We have two cows jajajaja

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
an explanation of that assessment is in order. 1st world people? how so?

3rd world country without a doubt- 1st world "wannabe" people.... In the past this question was up for debate-NOW, it cannot be argued, even Pichardo has disapeared as not even the ultimate DR "hopemonger" can defend this.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Don't waste time to try to list things which don't "work" here in the DR. Lets make a list of things which do "work" in the DR (except DR1). Will be a very short list...

metro autobuses.

i cannot think of anything else...

and it is not that difficult to amass 150 strong dominican family. miesposo grandfather had 10 legal kids plus 7 out of wedlock (but with his last name). on the other side grandfather had 4. each kid married. that's 42 already. each had, on average, 3 kids. we are already at 168. and that's miesposo's generation only. both miesposo's parents were the youngest with the oldest in the family having about 20 years on them. so their kids are already married and have kids. we'll go to 300 easily before even counting in more distant primos and primas.

and miesposo knows all of them by name :ermm::ermm::ermm:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Mike", the DR didn't do so bad in the "World Crisis Thingy".
Too bad??????
They have survived only because of Billions of dollars in "Loans", from the "IMF", World Bank", and the "Eurozone", plus "others",(Just like "Obama" from China!!) which they will never be able to pay back.
Wait until those benefactors demand that the DR raise taxes,and drastically cut back social services, and, yes, even try and control gov. corruption.:p:p:p:p:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
Then, the DR's mortgaged future will come crashing down!!!
Don't worry, you/we will have a great "opportunity" to help with those payments starting 1 January!
Can you say:......."Higher taxes, Higher cost for electricity,and,HIGHER,EVERYTHING else??????"
Luckily for us, the peso at 50 to 1 for USA Dollars.
Bad news for the DR, paying back the loans in US dollars will be even more difficult!
"Happy New Year??????????????????"
Not for those of us living/visiting the DR!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Where in the pais are they cracking down on helmetless motoconchos?

Dunno. But for the past week or so, AMETs are on a ticket-issuing spree...in SD you can see them at key intersections holding the libreta in their hands like they are some kind of waiters expecting customers...

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Another Bob Saunders. A " texan" in the Dominican Republic where everything is SMALL who would have thought.

Yeah, but bob saunders's family are all WEALTHY AND VERY WELL CONNECTED. I read that on DR1. So there!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
If you are in a 24 hour electrical circuit and the power outages are often and last more than 5 or so minutes, more than a few people connected to your circuit are not paying their bills. It always boils down to that. There are times when the circuits will have long power outages, usually when something happens to the lines or they are being worked on, sometimes a few important generators are taken offline for "maintenance," etc; but these things happen once in a long while.

Either many of the original people in the circuit stop paying or additional people from nearby non-24 hours circuits have illegally tapped into your circuit and are throwing off all the data the guys at the EDEs are receiving, especially the kilowatts sent vs money collected.

You should try to get the electrical company to investigate what's going on. Simply asking around the neighborhood is not reliable since those people that are not paying might say they are paying, especially if most other people have already said they are paying their bills.

Having said that, good luck on getting the electrical guys to investigate the issue. I know getting the EDEs to do such a thing (and fix the problem) requires plenty of luck and patience. lol

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
As a Dominican who lives here in the DR fulltime I can most definitely say that the DR is a 3rd world country on its way towards developing nation. In order to be considered a "developing" nation, I would need to feel that more things were actually developing rather than going backwards. Peru, on the other hand, where I spent the 6 months prior to me moving to the DR, definitely felt like a developing nation. Its people were upbeat, organized, and prepared to fight for their rights (which they currently do on mass scales), which are things that I feel Dominicans do not do. We are a bit more apathetic towards things we feel we cannot change. I am trying to speak for Dominicans as a whole which is unfair but it's a general sentiment I feel here. The most educated people I know are constantly saying "asi son las cosas", no se puede hacer nada etc etc.. talking about PUCMM grads here.. If the most educated people I know have this negative mindset towards their future, what do the uneducated thin?

Having said all that, there is no place in the world I'd rather live :)

mbgmike

Jan 17, 2012
As a Dominican who lives here in the DR fulltime I can most definitely say that the DR is a 3rd world country on its way towards developing nation. In order to be considered a "developing" nation, I would need to feel that more things were actually developing rather than going backwards. Peru, on the other hand, where I spent the 6 months prior to me moving to the DR, definitely felt like a developing nation. Its people were upbeat, organized, and prepared to fight for their rights (which they currently do on mass scales), which are things that I feel Dominicans do not do. We are a bit more apathetic towards things we feel we cannot change. I am trying to speak for Dominicans as a whole which is unfair but it's a general sentiment I feel here. The most educated people I know are constantly saying "asi son las cosas", no se puede hacer nada etc etc.. talking about PUCMM grads here.. If the most educated people I know have this negative mindset towards their future, what do the uneducated thin?

My daughter is a Dental Surgeon in Puerto Plata. I want here to go to the United States and Practice. She will not leave the RD, she is loyal to the people and the country. She knows she can make much money in the USA but she will never leave her country. Change is slow and education is even slower.

vacanodr

Jun 10, 2012
The DR is an upper middle class economy in the world. It is not rich like a first work country but is not super poor like Haiti, many countries in African and Asia. People from Haiti flock to the DR just like Mexicans flock to the USA to have better lives. Haiti makes many countries look poor!! Haiti is a true third world country. The DR economy is growing fast. Running water, electricity, cable TV, internet, cars and everything is available. I like to look at the DR like a big home where people get 70-150 thousand a year (which is upper middle class) and the USA like a big home where people have like 50 million coming in every year (which is rich).