Is the Haitian Immigration roundup on again?

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
A safe addition to Robert's predictions is that the DR and Haiti are not going to be unified in 2011.

I think Robert can make this a sticky prediction for the next 500 years at least.:cheeky:

JJ

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Tell the whole story

What I heard on my favorite radio show is that yesterday tens of vehicles transporting illegals Haitians were towed to the police station located in Santiago in order to open an investigation, trafficking illegals or just giving a ride to a non documented Haitian in the DR territory should be risky at this time.
migration officer are looking for them as many "Juntas de vecinos" of Santiago city said if the government department will not enforce the immigration laws they will take action and will start pushing the Haitians out of their neighborhoods....

JJ

See this why there is always problems, because of comments like these from people that just tell one side of the story, leaving the readers without the (why it happened)

They only took this initiative because they have complained to the authorities about these haitians doing all source of crimes to include defecation in bags and throwing the bags over public buildings and schools.

None of them had jobs and they were just making it bad for the other haitians that though illegally have been living there for many years living peacefully and contributing to society, those haitians are 80 to 100 haitians and the community said they will protect them and do anything they can so that they can have resident permits.

Reactions: MikeFisher

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
See this why there is always problems, because of comments like these from people that just tell one side of the story, leaving the readers without the (why it happened)

They only took this initiative because they have complained to the authorities about these haitians doing all source of crimes to include defecation in bags and throwing the bags over public buildings and schools.

None of them had jobs and they were just making it bad for the other haitians that though illegally have been living there for many years living peacefully and contributing to society, those haitians are 80 to 100 haitians and the community said they will protect them and do anything they can so that they can have resident permits.
Is that I tune a different number in my radio's dial, they never said the final phase is in your story.
Check this video.
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OVz1BZs0tCM?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OVz1BZs0tCM?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
JJ

Last edited:

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Dang People

I was not comparing the numbers of Dominicans on Yolas to Puerto Rico, to the number of Haitians entering the Dominican Republic. I was comparing the statement on corruption of the boarder guards.

Hell if I wanted to compare numbers it would be the millions of Mexicans, Dominicans, various South Americans, and other groups that are illegal in the USA, to the numbers of Haitians in the DR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taino808
The Haitians are more corrupt than the border guards taking the brides because the Haitians paying these guards should know by now that if caught they will be expatriated back to where they came from. Therefore, the Haitians are worse off for corrupting the Dominican guards, while trying to achieve their desired destination, the only thing they accomplish is lose their hard earned money.

This could be rewritten as follows. Is it still correct?

The Dominicans are more corrupt than the boat Captain that provides the yola because the Dominicans paying these Captians should know by now that if caught they will be expatriated back to where they came from. Therefore, the Dominicans are worse off for corrupting the boat Captian, while trying to achieve their desired destination, the only thing they accomplish is losing their hard earned money.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
So, how is the round-up going? Would it be a good idea that all AA tourist make sure they carry ID at all time? Especially when traveling outside the tourist areas.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
So, how is the round-up going? Would it be a good idea that all AA tourist make sure they carry ID at all time? Especially when traveling outside the tourist areas.
Make a copy of your passport and keep the original in a safe place in your hotel.

JJ

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
Make a copy of your passport and keep the original in a safe place in your hotel.

JJ

Trust me all AA are safe, and its not because you happen to be a tourist bringing money into the economy, but because your clothes will most likely distinguish you from the illegals being rounded-up.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Trust me all AA are safe, and its not because you happen to be a tourist bringing money into the economy, but because your clothes will most likely distinguish you from the illegals being rounded-up.
I'm Dominican, when in DR I carry my cedula with me all time as you never know when you are going to be stopped by the authorities or just in case of an accident.

you never know..

Somos hijos de la muerte!!!

JJ

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
The more the Dominican people are affected by the crime and disease that follows this illegal immigration, the more integrity they'll demand from the border patrol officers. Low pay is no excuse. Most working folks in the whole country receive low pay. There are plenty who would gladly replace them and do the job right.

(p.s. I think that Bill Clinton's visa should be pulled. Left to it's own devices, Arkansas could qualify as a 3rd World country. He should go and help them. That's where he's from.)

I understand, AND I agree with you, I wasn?t trying to make a case in favor of the border guard, just trying to portray one more piece of the many that come into play when corruption is at hand.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Leadership starts at the top. I can picture some young Corporal or Sgt saying no, and then his Captain letting the Haitian through for a bribe. Now young Cpl/Sgt willing takes a bribe because after all, the boss is doing it.

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
Leadership starts at the top. I can picture some young Corporal or Sgt saying no, and then his Captain letting the Haitian through for a bribe. Now young Cpl/Sgt willing takes a bribe because after all, the boss is doing it.

This is also true, corruption is such a malignant evil and with so many tentacles that trying to kill it is in and of it self a tedious job. This is so infuriating at times.:tired:

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
There have been numerous posters over the past few years that have suggested/argued that the DR and Haiti should be one country.
I think that there is a better chance of Mexico and the US becoming one country before that happens :)

E

engineerfg

Back to this round up...does this mean that the big highway construction projects in the middle of the city are going to be delayed?...

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
The Dominicans are more corrupt than the boat Captain that provides the yola because the Dominicans paying these Captians should know by now that if caught they will be expatriated back to where they came from. Therefore, the Dominicans are worse off for corrupting the boat Captian, while trying to achieve their desired destination, the only thing they accomplish is losing their hard earned money.

the Captains do not just face Repatriation, the sentence for beeing the Skipper on a Yola Ride reaches up to 10 Years max in Prisons, if the used Boat been stolen for the Ride, mostly they are, the Thieve(mostly the Captain) faces up to additional 10 Years for the Theft, plus the Risk to get shot and Fed to the Sharks on open Water in case we catch 'em out there away from the Coast.
of course we are Searching for our Stolen Boats, and I would not know of any Reason to be nice to the Thieve or Captain or Organizer of the Theft of My Property, which could easily Lead to Bancruptcy for a legal running small business, the Boats are our Big/Mayor Business Value.
the Boatpeople themselves we just collect and bring them back to Port to hand them over to the Authorities, We do Not Board out there anybody unless they told the Name of their Captain and point out within their Floating Group which one He is.
Why so Harsh?
different Reasons:
* most Boats used for the Yola Rides are stolen, prefered Boats to steal for that are Speedboats, named Chanchis. such Boats and their Engines cost quiet a bunch of Money, in most cases they steel them and damages propellers and transmissions, often the Engines, too, when driving by night blindly through rocky waters where they Assume the Coastguard wouldn't follow or would not even detect them. no Insurance covers such Damages. we have down here many small businesses where the the very biggest part of the Business's Value is simply The Boat, there been more than one small business going down the Hill due Boattheft/Boatdamage, so those Thieves are a danger for Our Existence to feed the Family.
* 2ndly:
the last years the Thefts did switch drastically their Face in case of How To Steal a Boat!!!
in prior Years Boats been stolen during the Night, early evenings, when ankered in the Bay. the last Years Boats get more and more stolen by Violent assaults on Boats/Boatcrews even with Guests on Board.
an example:
in 2008 a over a Decade long Friend and Skipper did a Taxiboat Ride with 4 Guests, on bright Daylight, People gave signal from the Beach on His way, not uncommon that additional Passengers wanna hop aboard for a small extra Fee, when He stopped the Man and 2 Women pulled Guns, pushed the Guests out of the Boat and left them thankfully unharmed on the abandond Beachstretch, and Forced the Captain to drive them to their Point where they had the needed Fuel for the Yola Ride that night readily waiting.
the Boat been caught the same Evening on a Beach when they tried to Board their Boatpeople for the Ride, the Man and the 2 Women from the Assault that afternoon been Identified and taken in Custody at the Marine Station of the Punta Cana Marina. the Boat was still Full of large Bloodmarks at the Aft, the Captains Space when driving. they did refuse to tell what they did with the Skipper, but due the Blood it was obviously that they did not just sent Him home on a abandond Beach.
I've been present at one of the Interrogations by M2 at the Marina, they did not tell a Thing, and Interrogations aren't any Funny Soft Smalltalk in such Cases.
we searched the Beach Areas with everybody of Us Captains and Mates and available Marina Officials but did not find the Captain til 2 days later.
He was Dead, Shot Dead, but the Autopsie brought out that He had been still alive for a very long Time, Bleeding slowly to Dead, incapable to move or shout for Help. while searching several of Us passed His location very close.

that Violence involved is also the Reason why we want to have pointed out the Skippers firstly before taking anybody on Board when we find people in open Water swimming with the Sharks, and we take them on Board one by one and tie their hands on the Back before the next one is allowed to come close to the Boat. for their needed medical assistance they need to wait til we reach Port and Authorities provide such or not.

it is not something that happens too often, but it happens several times per Year, so we take the Right to keep ourselves as save as possible.
out there on the Deep Blue is nobody near to help You in case a "poor swimmer with the Sharks" pulls a Gun to continue His failed Ride to PR in Your Boat.

Mike

Reactions: Taino808

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I'm Dominican, when in DR I carry my cedula with me all time as you never know when you are going to be stopped by the authorities or just in case of an accident.

you never know..

Somos hijos de la muerte!!!

JJ

correct,
and the Ruling in This Country anyways requires that everybody carries a Valid Foto ID.
that is for Us Locals the cedula, for everybody else the easiest and smallest to carry ID would be the Drivers license, sure a copy of a Passport etc is also completely sufficient proof of ID.

Mike

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
It's a long and bitter fight

This is also true, corruption is such a malignant evil and with so many tentacles that trying to kill it is in and of it self a tedious job. This is so infuriating at times.:tired:

That's what it takes. When a Colonel is caught with his hand in the till both he and the General he works for should be fired because if the General knew about it and did nothing then he is responsible and if the General did not know about it then he is irresponsible. The same goes for the Seargent and his Lieutenant, the Captain and his Major......all the way up to the Palace. The people have got to get hopping mad for corruption to end.

Sure, there will be a few martyrs along the way (remember the brutal murders of honest prosecutors and other government officials in Italy & Colombia) but eventually a culture of honor will replace the current system. As long as the military gives it's members 3 square meals, medical benefits and a roof over their families' heads in addition to whatever the rate of pay is the only thing they should be concerned with is the public trust to which they are responsible.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Back to this round up...does this mean that the big highway construction projects in the middle of the city are going to be delayed?...
No, the Haitian labor force in the construction industry is being replaced by Dominicans. The same is occurring in the sugar industry.

Mechanization and higher wages (there is a link between the two), plus pressure from the government, is behind this on going shift.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
No, the Haitian labor force in the construction industry is being replaced by Dominicans. The same is occurring in the sugar industry.

Mechanization and higher wages (there is a link between the two), plus pressure from the government, is behind this on going shift.

Ok, so higher wages and, in general, less dedication/interest to work. This will be costly.

shawn27

May 24, 2010
How do they know who is Haitian? Are they asking them to pronounce perejil? Should darker dominicans be concerned?