Is tourism back?

harrydubois

Jul 23, 2020
Israel
How does the number of American/European tourists in the DR now compare to a year ago? Has the latest 45 day emergency decree and curfews caused a decrease?

harrydubois

Jul 23, 2020
Israel
No, I'm really asking honestly. The DR reopened July 1 plus it's about the only place in world anyone can travel to. So I thought maybe it's back to normal. I'm in Israel. I have flight booked for next week to Santo Domingo. I am just going nuts being under lockdown. I want to get out a little bit.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I read you previous posts so that I might be able to understand you sincerity. I think you question is legit but you really have an agenda that "might" fit into the Sosua scene. Read the current tread line and you will get a better insight to your query.

harrydubois

Jul 23, 2020
Israel
Basically my question is this: I'm landing in Santo Domingo on the 11th and then heading north to Santiago, possibly go to the beach a bit.

Should expect I deserted airports, empty beaches, ghost towns in tourist areas (I'm staying with a family, not a tourist area) or are things going to be pretty much normal?

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Basically my question is this: I'm landing in Santo Domingo on the 11th and then heading north to Santiago, possibly go to the beach a bit.

Should expect I deserted airports, empty beaches, ghost towns in tourist areas (I'm staying with a family, not a tourist area) or are things going to be pretty much normal?
I can only answer to airport: Not deserted. Very organized and civil. For the rest of your questions there are many experts here that will answer those questions with their opinions.

harrydubois

Jul 23, 2020
Israel
Ok, so it's not a ghost town atmosphere. Interesting.

And obviously there is no nightlife. I am an early to bed, early to rise person anyway.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The AI's in Punta Cana have no curfew or closed beaches of any kind. They do have extensive rules for the virus, but they do not have any curfew.

Joseph NY2STI

Mar 22, 2020

Why would you return to a country that just threw you out a couple of weeks ago??? And why would you expect everyone to forget?

Reactions: melphis

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
The AI's in Punta Cana have no curfew or closed beaches of any kind. They do have extensive rules for the virus, but they do not have any curfew.
Punta Cana has a Curfew weekdays 7PM-5AM and Sat/Sund weekends 5PM-5AM.
the curfew is also running for Tourists, it is a CURFEW, always running for all.
many people are excepted from it for specific purposes, and only on the direct way to that purpose,
like Transfer Drivers are allowed to transfer Tourists between airport/hotels during curfew hours.
Resorts count as Private Property, so Curfew means you have to stay on the Hotel Property during curfew hours.
as for Tourism, it is growing on a super slow barely recognized pace.
compared to the same time1 year ago we are Empty.
only around a dozen of the over 100 Punta Cana Hotels are reopened, very most will not reopen 2020 and many will not reopen at all.
the highest occupancy rates at this moment are 25-30% at the Hard Rock and Secrets Cap Cana,
other reopened hotels in the PC area range only on 10-15% of occupancy.
I have no knowledge about occupancy rates of Hotels in other areas of the DR.
the in general over all DR Hotel/Tourism Situation is:
of over 300 Hotels are at this moment only around 40 Hotels reopened.
only 98 (Including those already open 40) announced a tentative reopening date before Dec 31st 2020.
more than 2/3rd of DR Hotels have not reopening date set.
we can do a "guess" that a very significant number will not reopen again in the near future(next 12 months).

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006

North Coast, Playa Dorada no curfew ever. 500+ acres and miles of beaches on which to roam free untethered 24/7.

We don need no stinkin' curfew.

Reactions: NanSanPedro