It ain't about the pesos.............

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Life is to short for all that!

cosign.

Seems like way too much trouble for 2 pesos.
ya just gotta let some sheet slide..
i give the kid who carries my grocery bags 25 feet to the car at least 35 pesos, and thats for a Service I did not even ask for,
so why fret over literally 2 pesos..

Sep 4, 2012
cosign.

Seems like way too much trouble for 2 pesos.
ya just gotta let some sheet slide..
i give the kid who carries my grocery bags 25 feet to the car at least 35 pesos, and thats for a Service I did not even ask for,
so why fret over literally 2 pesos..

Pity that's all, pity.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I heard a story recently from a friend about a friend of his who saved up all the candies he had been given as change at Playero until he had about 200 of them. Then he went to Playero and spent $200. He counted out 200 candies. The counter girl burst into flames and sent him to the manager. The customer (Irish) explained that since he had been given the sweeties as change, then they must be legal tender. The manager self-combusted as well, and the gringo walked out of the store with his $200 worth of sundries. He has never been given candies as change again.

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
A few years ago some shops in the Bavaro area would give out candies if they where a few pesos short. This aggravated a freind to the point I thought her head would explode. One day she had a bright idea to short change a cashier 3 or 4 pesos and give them candies instead.

Even worse in the states!! Around this time last year, everywhere I went: businesses, houses, schools, all I received was CANDIES!!!.... wait?....... it may have been Halloween, but still!

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
A few years ago some shops in the Bavaro area would give out candies if they where a few pesos short. This aggravated a freind to the point I thought her head would explode. One day she had a bright idea to short change a cashier 3 or 4 pesos and give them candies instead.
The cashiers head did explode. (Metaphorically speaking). She called a manager who threatend to call Politur (now cespool or whatever) and the whole thing just got ridiculously out of control.
She ended up demanding all her money and candy back and left the store without buying anything. She also never went back.
The whole thing still amazes me as to what both side did over a couple pesos.

ROTFLMAO, you have to be making this story up .......... but just for the fun of it next time I hit La Cadena may just give it a try................ LOL

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
I could not agree more. It has nothing to do with the "2" pesos but the principle. It happens in Playero ALL the time. The last time I was there they did not have pesos for change. I told them I would wait. Still not pesos. So I asked for my $300 back and gave them a credit card (one that charges me no fees) for my $227RD purchase. So in the end it costs Playero 2-5% for the transaction.

Besides if they clip every one for a peso or two by the end of the day they have made thousands of extra pesos by "overcharging"

Bob K

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It must be that change is a problem in the banking system here.

Remember we had a poster asking for loose change solutions?

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
It must be that change is a problem in the banking system here.
It is all my fault.

When I return home I empty my pockets of coins. When I go out again I take change, but never one peso coins. After six years I have accumulated a one-peso mountain at home. I wish the guy needing change was in Pto Pta rather than Sosua.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
It is all my fault.

When I return home I empty my pockets of coins. When I go out again I take change, but never one peso coins. After six years I have accumulated a one-peso mountain at home. I wish the guy needing change was in Pto Pta rather than Sosua.

LOL, same here with me. I guess what I should do is ask the guy at the corner colmado if he needs change. If he says yes, I can go back to my apartment and dump my piggy banks on the counter. Stack the coins up, get me some pesos bills and who knows........... may end up with enough bills for a "free" brick oven baked pizza at Tratorria Pizzareli in Agora Mall, on the garden of course.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
having been in a 'Csh' business.- check cashing- I can tell you how heavy an incoming shipment of coin is.

The Guards hate it, the store employees hate it...

I bet the RD armored car guys duck that work... no coins

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
LOL, same here with me. I guess what I should do is ask the guy at the corner colmado if he needs change. If he says yes, I can go back to my apartment and dump my piggy banks on the counter. Stack the coins up, get me some pesos bills and who knows........... may end up with enough bills for a "free" brick oven baked pizza at Tratorria Pizzareli in Agora Mall, on the garden of course.

Fast forward to 1:20, LOL!

[video=youtube;N1kqkGvutGw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1kqkGvutGw[/video]

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
Just left La Cadena. My change was to be 58 pesos. Well the cashier only had 56 pesos so she gave me that expecting me to smile and walk away. She could have very easily got up off her rear end and walked 30 feet to customer service to get more change as there will be more customers after me. Nope she won't do that.

I politely kept my mouth shut, tapped on the counter to let her know two more pesos. Well she gets an attitude and takes back one peso and replaces it with a five pesos coin. I end up with two extra pesos of change. It is not about two measly pesos but more so what a person thinks they can just get away with.

Same thing when I hit the gas station to fill up. Pump stops a few pesos under being even money. Instead of squeezing the handle the attendant shuts the pump off and quite naturally does not have the few pesos of change. I sit and wait for him to go inside and get my change just to annoy him.

I have a list a mile long of how you will get nickeled and dimed here..............but, I still love living here.

Just happen to me in the same store last night. Lucky for me I had change. I usually receive a small box of matches.
Hey did you see the new selection of beers, I'm a happy camper!!

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Fast forward to 1:20, LOL!

[video=youtube;N1kqkGvutGw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1kqkGvutGw[/video]

LOL, yeah that be me .............. but I want to exchange my coins for that brick oven pizza and feast my eyes on that fine looking eye candy in the mall .............. it is a b letter word getting old, but still such a great life.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

Mountainannie lives near you - she did a blog about her peso stash: http://elizabetheames.blogspot.com/2015/04/money-laundering.html

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Thanks AE, you always on top of things. And no dis-respect to Mr. AE but he has one really classy LADY. In caps cause you just that .........................

Aw, shucks bigbird, thanks. I'll bet you say that to all the girls :) :)

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
its just laziness and lack of consideration. Besides you are a gringo, got lots of money. No one is trying you.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
you gotta love it when a motoconcho guy has zero change. it is not as if he has been using Pay Pal all day.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Dominican wife tips everyone. Gas station guy, bag boys, absolutely everyone no matter what the service. Ialmost gave up complaining. She is training me to shut up but its slow going so far.