It can be hard to give up what you have in the first world to live in DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
cubano, I just read an article about same sex marrieges been good for the health(both physical and mental)...Would you marry me,:cheeky:.

Last edited:

FarOut

Jul 26, 2004
You know what's the best of immigrating to a another country, you are mostly free to leave if you don't like it :)

I have lived it quite a few different countries, some have been in Europe others in the Mid-East and there have been always things I really enjoyed and some stuff I had to put up with. That's usually the thing, life is a compromise. I don't think anyone will find "paradise" on this planet...

When it comes to living in the DR one of the things I enjoy most is my freedom, no one bothers me with regulations and restrictions. And if you are willing to work you can at least afford a decent living and earn around 20.000 Peso. And as one of the previous Poster had said, happiness got nothing to do with how much money one has. I personally count myself rich because I can afford not to work every day, so I take sometimes a day off and enjoy myself on the Beach or make a short trip and visit some friends.

indiana16

Jan 5, 2006
it seems to me that people contradict each other. One group of people talk about what a challenge it is to survive on a dominican salary and another group says that you don't need to have much money in DR. Who ever says one thing now and says another later should make up their minds.

indiana16

Jan 5, 2006
FarOut said:
You know what's the best of immigrating to a another country, you are mostly free to leave if you don't like it :)

When it comes to living in the DR one of the things I enjoy most is my freedom, no one bothers me with regulations and restrictions. And if you are willing to work you can at least afford a decent living and earn around 20.000 Peso.

Do you mean 20,000 per month?
If so In what type of position can you earn 20,000 a month in DR?
And what qualifications must you have?

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
indiana16 said:
it seems to me that people contradict each other. One group of people talk about what a challenge it is to survive on a dominican salary and another group says that you don't need to have much money in DR. Who ever says one thing now and says another later should make up their minds.
The two statements are not mutually exclusive. You don't need much money to live in the DR, but a Dominican salary doesn't even provide enough for that.

indiana16

Jan 5, 2006
HOWMAR said:
The two statements are not mutually exclusive. You don't need much money to live in the DR, but a Dominican salary doesn't even provide enough for that.

I said something similar to what you're saying in the original post.

sunshine_79

I made the 300,000th post!
Jun 1, 2005
indiana16 said:
it seems to me that people contradict each other. One group of people talk about what a challenge it is to survive on a dominican salary and another group says that you don't need to have much money in DR.

It's all a matter of personal needs, wants and expectations; what we can and can't live without.

Some expats couldn't make it here on less than 4-5 grand a month - in USD. Others do just fine on less than a thousand a month. Most expats find a happy medium.

It can be hard to live on a Dominican salary alone, depending on what kind of work you are doing. If you are at a job that only pays 7-8000 pesos a month then life can be a bit difficult - I lived off of that amount of money for awhile when I was a bartender. It was do-able but I didn't have the luxuries of shopping sprees and eating out every night. I stayed in 2 different places - a very basic hotel room and a nice house shared with 2 roomates.

I think most people in the DR who earn low salaries live in households where more than one person contributes towards expenses.

Things are much, much easier when you have a source of outside funds. All of the money tied up in my other interests is solely for me now so I have a lot more leeway now. (And it's amazing how many "friends" have seemed to pop up, LOL).

But the funny thing is, I'm not a bit happier and I don't feel like I've given up anything from the hallowed 1st World.

In the US, I had a 52-inch TV, a nice car and a lot of other toys. I also had credit card debt and worked a million hours a week and was stressed out all the time.

In the DR, I have a 27-inch TV, a new pasola and a couple of interesting gadgets and I work 40 hours a week at a job that I adore.

I don't think I've "given up" a thing.

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Let me put this in clear & simple terms.

indiana16 said:

My wife and I work a LOT of hours to make a LOT money to pay a LOT of bills.
We end up with very little TIME time for our children, little TIME for ourselves and no TIME to even think about a vacation.
We have a LOT of stuff we paid a LOT of money for that we don't use because we don't have the TIME to enjoy them. So, we don't actually need them if we don't use them, correct? You see, having things means diddly if you haven't the TIME to enjoy them.
Having to work hard to obtain material wealth and not take pleasure in, get pleasure or benefit from, makes absolutely no sense, does it?... What I, and quite a few of us, are trying to explain to you is that "giving up" possessions in the "first world" to live in the DR is, by far, the most advantageous trade-off anyone can make.
What makes a life pleasurable, rich & rewarding is not what you have but having the TIME to enjoy the little that you have. Capiche?

donrael

Sep 26, 2005
Having to work hard to obtain material wealth and not take pleasure in said:
DonJuan----from one Don to another...BULLS-EYES!!!!!
:)

I think there's nothing else to say; in the end that's what it comes down to. TIME...quality TIME.

I was precisely talking about that earlier today w/ a co-worker of mines here in NYC. I was telling him how I am noticing that w/ each year that passes, all the people I know, close friends AND family have less TIME available. they are always canceling last minute, hardly visit, etc. and the one thing they always say is that " I am too busy and dont have time".

I am getting bit tired of pleading the case of making time because I feel like I am going agains the current since that's how the system works here. people are NEVER satisfied here, ALWAYS want more. part of being happy is feeling satisfied I read somewhere, and its true. as long as you're not satisfied you always feel something or "some more things" are missing. Then I was telling my friend about how in DR, there seems to be TIME for things, visit a friend, a walk, conversation....etc. even w/ all of DR's drawbacks, the TIME to enjoy the moments of life have no price, and that makes the country worth living in.

indiana16

Jan 5, 2006
Don Juan said:
My wife and I work a LOT of hours to make a LOT money to pay a LOT of bills.
We end up with very little TIME time for our children, little TIME for ourselves and no TIME to even think about a vacation.
We have a LOT of stuff we paid a LOT of money for that we don't use because we don't have the TIME to enjoy them. So, we don't actually need them if we don't use them, correct? You see, having things means diddly if you haven't the TIME to enjoy them.
Having to work hard to obtain material wealth and not take pleasure in, get pleasure or benefit from, makes absolutely no sense, does it?... What I, and quite a few of us, are trying to explain to you is that "giving up" possessions in the "first world" to live in the DR is, by far, the most advantageous trade-off anyone can make.
What makes a life pleasurable, rich & rewarding is not what you have but having the TIME to enjoy the little that you have. Capiche?

I'm not saying that money is what brings you happiness, but if you can't have the good quality of life that you want it wouldn't be worthwhile staying.

indiana16

Jan 5, 2006
[
In the DR, I have a 27-inch TV, a new pasola and a couple of interesting gadgets and I work 40 hours a week at a job that I adore.

I don't think I've "given up" a thing.[/QUOTE]

Where you a college educated professional when you use to live in the first world?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Oh, I didn't read the whole thread, only a few posts.
My answer to your question is simply this:
You don't have to give up a thing to move down to DR.
If you come here with enough money and resources, everything is available here. I travel to USA every few months, I buy whatever I need from there and bring it to DR. I, personally, don't need much to stay happy here. I like my electronic toys so I make sure I have them all. I like computers, so I got 3. 2 are desktops and 1 is a huge top notch 17 in screen laptop. I like huge screen TVs so I got me a video projector, hi-def, 10 foot screen with stereo loud sound. I have my movie theater in my house. I have wireless high speed internet. I have lights 24/7, inverter, hot water, cable TV, I even had direct tv in my house. I have more toys here than my friends back in USA. So what is it that I am giving up in DR? Maybe traffic jams in NY, stressfull life and paying 100 bills / months? No thanks.
No, I am not giving up a thing, I am gaining all that I didn't have in USA.
AZB
P.S. some of us make good money here in DR. Even in pesos, we make more money than many people in western world.

FarOut

Jul 26, 2004
Jobs for 20.000 / month

Hi Indiana,

I for myself work as a independent Computer Technican (Salex, Repair, Webdesign etc.) and make at least this amount of money per month without having to work 44h / per week.

Most people I know who came from Europe/America and speak at least Spanisch/English (any other language is a plus of course) can find work in a varety of proffessions. I know one Chef-Secretary (German) which also is able to deal with international corespodense, one certified car mechanic working vor VW as chief mechanicer and he get's more than 60.000 per month, a translater making a everage of 30.000 a. s. o....

One thing which helps if you look out for an employer which is the same nationalty as you and is willing to pay more for a emploeyee which knows how he wont's his business get done. And you should alredy have working experience and speak spanish.

I for myself enjoy what I'm doin and don't feel anymore stressed out as I used to be back in Europe.

Just my 5 Cent :)

indiana16

Jan 5, 2006
I agree with Donrael in that in the first world often there is no time for things. one's job in the first world seems to take number one priority. Sometimes a job is considered more important than one's health.
The USA has been blessed with opportunities and abundance, but it's down fall is that often people have no time to enjoy. The main reason there is no time to enjoy the fruit of your hard work, is that people are often too engulfed and I would also say addicted to their careers,the opportunities, to obtaining material possesions and then they have to work harder to pay for those material possesions, and as a result your career becomes your life and there is less time to enjoy the things that bring you spiritual happiness. Namely, your family,less stress,the natural beauty of the country etc.

Last edited:

sunshine_79

I made the 300,000th post!
Jun 1, 2005
indiana16 said:
[

Where you a college educated professional when you use to live in the first world?

Not a professional, per se, as I was in the military for 8 years. College educated, yes.

Certainly not rolling in dough but definitely comfortable.

I really think that anyone who lives in the DR with the nagging feeling that they are "giving up" things probably shouldn't be here in the first place.

I feel as though I've gained so much more from living here as opposed to having a sense of loss. You cannot put a price on living well spiritually and emotionally.

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Thank you Snuffy!

Snuffy said:
Don Juan...having said that to such perfection...you are welcome in my home anytime...Santiago.

I am humbled by your kind offer. perhaps some day I may have the good fortune of being acquainted with you on a personal level!
Sir, do you happen to reside in Santiago?.... Mi tierra natal!?!

bertgilbert

Feb 1, 2005
spaces.msn.com
Excuse my ignorance

FarOut said:
Hi Indiana,

I for myself work as a independent Computer Technican (Salex, Repair, Webdesign etc.) and make at least this amount of money per month without having to work 44h / per week.

Most people I know who came from Europe/America and speak at least Spanisch/English (any other language is a plus of course) can find work in a varety of proffessions. I know one Chef-Secretary (German) which also is able to deal with international corespodense, one certified car mechanic working vor VW as chief mechanicer and he get's more than 60.000 per month, a translater making a everage of 30.000 a. s. o....

One thing which helps if you look out for an employer which is the same nationalty as you and is willing to pay more for a emploeyee which knows how he wont's his business get done. And you should alredy have working experience and speak spanish.

I for myself enjoy what I'm doin and don't feel anymore stressed out as I used to be back in Europe.

Just my 5 Cent :)

Would 20.000 pesos be something like US590.00 a month, that don't seem like a lot to live on does it.

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
Bertie:

Yes, your math is spot on.

US $590.00 does seem like not much to live on. For an expat. Yet, for many locals it is plenty (20,000 pesos/month).

I have to say that I know many fine folks (locals, not expats) who earn from 2,000-8,000 pesos/month. They are happy and nice and decent folks.

And I know many, many more fine folks, who as maids and such, earn under 2,000 pesos/month.

Dominicans seem much better than expats when it comes to stretching their money. I have to take my hat off to them right here and now. Many of us bitch and moan night and day about the RD, but we need to sing their praises from time to time as well. So hear I go, "do-ray-me-fah-so"

There are other threads that discuss common salaries and others that discuss how expats (Anglophones, at any rate) tend to need $2,000 to $3,000 USD per month. Not $590.00.

Cheers!

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
So right, Donrael!

Then I was telling my friend about how in DR, there seems to be TIME for things, visit a friend, a walk, conversation....etc. even w/ all of DR's drawbacks, the TIME to enjoy the moments of life have no price, and that makes the country worth livinQUOTE]

This is exactly what I mean. The important things in life costs very little but it seems to be an scarce commodity in most "first world" nations. A rich lifestyle is not, by all means, defined by the number of toys one possesses.... certainly not by who's got the biggest house or the largest bank account. We humans are nurtured by the interactions between family, friends, and the community at large we live in. So, Fulfillment, in the most literal sense, means not just belonging, sharing, contributing, etc. But also, having the TIME to enjoy it all!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Pardon Me While I "PUKE"!!

This: "Poor But Happy" garbage is just not so!

"Poor And Stoic" is more like it!

Imagine being poor in the DR??

Can't get a good education for your children!
Can't get good medical care for your children! Need a "Bone Marrow Transplant"?? See Ya Later!
Kidney dialisis? Bye-bye
Cancer? Not Here!
House on Fire? Buy Marshmallows!
Thieves stealing your belongings,Call the POLICE! Oh! The Polic are the thieves stealing your belongings!

"Hot"? Turn on a fan! Sorry no electricity!

Take a bath to cool off! Sorry again,NO WATER!

What is that horrible stench?? Could it be the communal garbage dump in front of your house???

Well,we can always get drunk,dance,and make some more "Poor But Happy" Dominican babies!!

You can look forward to living EXACTLY as your parents do!

Now THAT is "HAPPY"??????????????????????????????????????
cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

Status
Not open for further replies.