It has happened to me now WTF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omar_NYC

Mar 22, 2013
I move roughly US$4,000 per month from my checking account to pay different bills and transfer money online to other US-based banks. I've never been hit with fraud.

Granted.... The only time I use my debit card is to withdraw money at the ATM, and I only use ATM machines at the local bank branches.

Using your debit card elsewhere is asking for trouble; whether in DR or elsewhere. It's too easy to rig the machine with a mag stripe reader and a wifi transceiver. You won't know right away, but your number will probably sit along with others at some database for weeks and months after it was collected, and you'll get hit when least expected.

I don't know what the regulations are in DR, but in the US if a credit card is hit with fraud, you're off the hook for the balance. With a debit card, it will take several days to get your money. For that headache alone, I personally prefer letting my credit cards take the risk and keep the debit card safe and sound in the wallet.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
The daily limit usually only refers to cash, I once had RD$50,000 taken out over a weekend via purchases (to complicit establishments probably) of gasoline from gas stations and diapers from a store. When I complained to the bank that this was way over my daily limit, they told me the limits only refer to cash withdrawals, not to purchases. I had lent out my ATM card a week before then, so its my own fault really, that person must have had it cloned or something.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
I knew with the tax increase, things were going to get worse.Desperate times, calls for desperate measures and desperation is everywhere! Oh, and this is not just happening to gringos, it's ANYBODY who they know are from abroad.One of my sisters CC's was cloned and her bank was able to stop the transaction because my sister had notified the bank in the states, stating that she would be traveling to the DR.The person trying to make a purchase was in the Philippines.

The "best" thing to do here, is to construct a monthly budget. And only go to the bank one time every month. Place your money in 4 envelopes so you have money for the 4 weeks- "M?s o Menos".

It is a little uncomfortable in the beginning, but you get used to it. -Try it before you say it is impossible.

Omar_NYC

Mar 22, 2013
Place your money in 4 envelopes so you have money for the 4 weeks- "M?s o Menos".

It is a little uncomfortable in the beginning, but you get used to it. -Try it before you say it is impossible.

Damn. That's old school. But I agree with you :)

crazyflight

Aug 13, 2009
It happened to me now last weekend in Bavaro. BHD - 6 ATH transactions which I didnt do - 26000 Peso....

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
Why would you put your money in a Dominican bank? No way in hell I'd put money in a Dominican bank, I don't even like keeping much money in American banks. Didn't you hear about what recently happened in Cyprus? What do you expect us to do about it? If this thread is a warning, I don't need it as I have sense enough not to open a bank account with "Banco Popular." I'm sure they will get you your money back............eventually. My advice? Use cash. Forget Dominican bank accounts. You know how corrupt this country is?

Anyone who owns a Dominican bank account deserves to be swindled. This country ranks so high on the corruption index anyone opening an account here is a serious imbecile who is asking to get scammed.

Your being a little extreme,

Dontcha think??

Just a little??

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
I'm thankful that I was born with lots of good common sense. I just don't get these expats, it seems they move to the DR and get residency and buy real estate and open businesses and I don't think any of them bother to even seriously research or study this country....because anyone who has would know not to open a bank account here. I mean what makes these guys tick? Are they just naive or plain stupid?

I came to the DR with the "don't trust anyone" mentality. Each time the maid comes over to clean I make sure I secure my wallet and not have any money or valuables lying around, she seems like a nice person but this is the DR. I was walking down the street to the farmacia and a guy walks up and says he is a "tour guide" and shows a badge and asks if he can help me find what I'm looking for, I was polite but didn't trust the guy one bit. Women have approached me here on the street trying to hook up and I ignore them. There are a lot of honest Dominicans but overall as foreigners living here we are routinely targeted by unscrupulous locals so we always need to be on guard.

My personal philosophy for living in the DR is to be suspicious of everyone. I keep to myself and I don't make friends easy. I pay attention to my surroundings and rarely go out at night. I ignore overtures from Dominican women on the street because it is likely at set up. I only use ATM machines in crowded places with lots of witnesses to deter criminals. I never tell anyone my business and if people ask my personal questions I give them vague answers and half truths. My philosophy has served me well.........I haven't been scammed since I arrived here. I've overpaid for stuff, but no of my valuables have been compromised and they never will be.

You sound like a blast to hang out with,

Thank God that will never happen!!!!

What a way to go through life!!!!!!!!

I DON'T MAKE FRIENDS EASY

A quote from you....

REALLY!!!

Last edited:

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I DON'T MAKE FRIENDS EASY

A quote from you....

REALLY!!!

Those are great qualities to have but not to the extreme.

Even The Godfather had friends.

Be my friend Godfather.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vmxzb-SVA_8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I'm tired of those that can not express themselves past. WTF.

YOUR an mod?

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010
I have a friend....he is by my feet.... licking his thingys..his name is toby, oh, got to go feed him now.

Kozy

Jun 1, 2002
Well Daywalker, given your mindset I really don't understand why you spend time here. Many foreigners have bank accounts here because they have a business here- DUHHHH! I have a business here and my payroll is more than 200,000 RD every 15 days. It is an electronic payroll with Banco Progreso. Works perfectly. I do all sorts of banking transactions with them on a daily basis, for years, including CDs for substantial amounts. Never had a problem K

Status
Not open for further replies.