It has happened to me now WTF

Status
Not open for further replies.

beachcomber

Oct 15, 2003
What's that dominican doing in Somerset? He's too damn good, he even disguised himself to look like your typical brit!

The organization and number of people ripped off with out a slip up leads me to think its probable a Rumanian gang as in the cctv clip and not a Dominican :bandit:

curious29

Sep 20, 2012
you are 90 % right, but the thing with Cyprus was - it was used as tax evasion haven for years, mostly by Russians and Arabs..now governments need to give money to banksters, so they won't allow any more tax evasion...well at least the say that ;-)
With the growing instability in this country, how long do you think your business will last? There were 93 protests last month, 93. In a single month. I wouldn't invest any major money in the DR and that includes owning an account here. This thread makes it clear that the banks aren't trustworthy. Just because you haven't had a problem doesn't mean there isn't a problem, and if you do have a problem what will you do about it? Investing in the DR, over the long run, is like building a house in the Everglades.

An acquaintance of mine in Asia always says that if you have money in the bank you don't own it. His logic is compelling. When you deposit money in a bank it is yours so long as the bank allows you to get to it. If they don't, then what? You should read up on what happened in Cyprus recently. I'm sure the Cypriots who got a "hair cut" thought they owned their money in the bank to. Bank accounts have a big problem......they can be monitored and frozen. I've worked at a bank in the past, and bank employees have access to all types of customer data that they can use for "sinister purposes." This includes social security numbers. If some of you reading this worked at a bank like me, and saw what I saw, you'd know why I've been removing much of my money out of the bank. Cash truly is king. Cash transactions are untraceable and you can hold the stuff in your hand. The only thing better than cash is gold and silver and I hear Bitcoin may be the next big thing.

Omar_NYC

Mar 22, 2013
An acquaintance of mine in Asia always says that if you have money in the bank you don't own it. His logic is compelling. When you deposit money in a bank it is yours so long as the bank allows you to get to it. If they don't, then what? You should read up on what happened in Cyprus recently. I'm sure the Cypriots who got a "hair cut" thought they owned their money in the bank to.

What happened in Cyprus is probably the same thing that happened in Italy; banks had deposits that were much more than the country's GDP backed by securities and bonds that went sour. When those bills come due, depositors are left holding the bag, not the bank.

Money; in the tangible sense; is really as worthless as the rim of paper you purchase at the local office supplies store. What makes it so valuable is the incredible demand for it from the well-off to the poor. After all, it represents an established method of obtaining a tangible item by trading for it with legal tender.

Reserve banks; and by extension the local banks; have to be the last man standing in the financial system. If that collapses, so does the faith and perception that money is worth something or that it can be used to get something. And when you have no centralized system of trading goods and services for legal tender, all you have left is a barter system. This is why in the medieval times, people paid for things with gold. Gold is perceived as a valuable, precious metal because oh I don't know.... it's shiny and heavy.

If you truly want to amass wealth and assets long-term and not worry about legal gangsters at the bank taking it from you, then you have to get yourself a bomb shelter or several properties on your name. This way you only have to worry about the local government determining whether your certificate of title or deed is really yours or not.

I'm being sarcastic in that last paragraph.... just in case you're really taking me serious about that advice :)

Gitana-

Jan 13, 2010
I'm like a tight rope walker 50 feet above the ground without a safety net.......I can't afford to fall.

What I don't understand is why do you choose to live there if that's the way you feel. It sounds really tiresome to me. Or maybe you don't live there and I have that wrong?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Daywalker',......................"Nightstalker"?? ?????????????????????????????

He most likely has the "Bones" of dozens of "Travesti's" :dead::dead::dead: hidden in his apartment!
Possibly children too! :eek:gre::eek:gre::eek:gre:
He makes me look, "Pleasant"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Wonder if "Belle View" has noticed he's missing :eek::eek:??????

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I keep most of my (not much) money here is a dollar account, which has no debit card, and withdraw it over the counter when I need it. I keep a small amount in my peso account, which I occasionally withdraw from an ATM in an emergency. The rest stays in my UK bank. Maybe I'll lose that one day, because believe it or not (Daywalker) there have been bank scams there and in all other countries too!

Status
Not open for further replies.