It Seems Like The Peso Domincano

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
How long does the Xoom transfer take to BHD?

Very fast, within a couple of hours, usually less.  

We deposit into my BIL account every month (also BHD, he pays our bills when we’re not here) and they send texts when it’s sent and when it’s confirmed deposit. Both of us get the texts. 

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
You beginning to get the feeling the DR no longer appreciates foreigners here ? How long till they kill the tourism industry too ? They are trying
Nah. They are under IMF pressure to do something about money laundering.

Tourism is fine.

Last edited:

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
What difficulty?
Taking forever to get a final date even after approval. I have my confirmation and there is a 45 day period but I'm past that and nothing yet

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Taking forever to get a final date even after approval. I have my confirmation and there is a 45 day period but I'm past that and nothing yet

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk
Meet the new boss, same as the old boss...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
There are new laws regarding money laundering.

Recently we went to renew MotoCaribe insurance on 13 motorcycles and a big van. The insurance company would not renew until we filled out a long form that seemsed to deal with the source of money for the vehicles involved.

We called the owner, a family cousin. He said the form was for NEW insurance on recently purchased vehicles and we wouldn't have to fill it out as 10-year clients.

Banking is changing...

I was recently asked the source of my wealth..
not for a specific purpose... my wealth wealth....
where did I get it?

No check the box - savings. investements

and they wanted it ceritified

who can certify the source of your wealth?

Luckily, my accountant is a life long friend... and could

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Its the lesser of 2 evils.

If you go and pick up 4k at the bank or caribe tour, the risk is some1 sees you, or a bank employee is on the take.
Then you have to drive back home, or even worse take public transport or a taxi. So you could be robbed on the way home, or just plain followed back.

If you choose home delivery the motoconcho ( which is not a motoconcho, by the way, but a guy whos sole job is delivering money ), for large amounts ( even 500 $ is a large amount for them ) they have a former/current freelancing PN with them.
I am on my grounds, behind walls/gates when I take delivery for the money.
You will, in time, get to know the 2-3 diffrent delivery guys. They always ask 9 times if the dogs are locked up before coming in ;) ;).
And yes, the delivery guys could go crazy and try to rob me.
B plan is wife lets the dogs out, I run for cover emptying my clip in the process, wife blasts them with shotgun from behind the iron protection of the house, I ( or her, if i dont make it ) uses 5% of the 500 $ to pay a haitian to dig a big deep hole in the conuco ;) ;)

Shoot, dig, shut up.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Banking is changing...

I was recently asked the source of my wealth..
not for a specific purpose... my wealth wealth....
where did I get it?

No check the box - savings. investements

and they wanted it ceritified

who can certify the source of your wealth?

Luckily, my accountant is a life long friend... and could

I'd like to know how you responded to this question as
a typical Dominican response would be "none of your business"

Feb 7, 2007
The account is usable now. I’ll just make some small deposits using Xoom during the months we’re not here so no further problems. We normally fly in with cash and deposit a personal check every month from US account to cover the next month. We need to allow a couple of weeks for it to clear.  

Or just have a peso account as well and then make transfer between the two accounts once per month.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
Recently I went to Scotiabank to withdraw a two weeks funds from the ATM... they only dispensed $100.dop notes up to $2500.DOP ; i needed extra to pay for some repairs .... they took $40.CDN from my account to pay for the ATM charges.
Later I went to LaSarina and there was $1000.ooDOP notes being dispensed. The next week there was only $200.DOP notes being dispensed. Once again lots of ATM charges being accumulated.
Yeaterday there was $500,DOP notes at the Supermarket. All in all the bank was collecting huge amounts of ATM fees from Canadians,Americand, and Europeans and other visitors .....
Now I can understand why.... shortage of foreign currency in RD.
Russell

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
With my BHD card, I can't get more than 2,000 from any other bank's ATH unless I do multiple withdrawals of 2000. Charge is 50 pesos. That doesn't seem like a huge fee to me(?).

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I use the Banco Popular ATM to withdraw up to 10,000 pesos with my RBC card. The fee is 195 pesos, which my bank in Canada refunds me, up to a certain amount per month.

Feb 7, 2007
With my BHD card, I can't get more than 2,000 from any other bank's ATH unless I do multiple withdrawals of 2000. Charge is 50 pesos. That doesn't seem like a huge fee to me(?).

You can now withdraw at Banreservas without a fee
Unaredfeb.jpg

Feb 7, 2007
I use the Banco Popular ATM to withdraw up to 10,000 pesos with my RBC card. The fee is 195 pesos, which my bank in Canada refunds me, up to a certain amount per month.

There are odd here and there ATMs which do not charge this ridiculous 200 pesos fee... They are hard to find though. Maybe we could do a DR list.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
And every time there is a shortage of dollars for businesses to conduct business, pressure mounts on the Central Bank to find dollars to sell to those businesses.

And almost every time the Central Bank claims there is no shortage of dollars, yet businesses cannot seem to source them.

Peso has been devaluing faster............and will continue to devalue faster during periods when the US raises interest rates. If the US raises rates in March as is widely anticipated, the peso will get hit again.

Note however that US interest rate rises alone are not the only reason for the peso's devaluation.........the DR has also borrowed heavily (reference to your recent bond sale) to keep the economy moving forward.

Respectfully,
playacaribe2
....why did the Dominican banks refuse to take USA debit cards, starting last month, giving you pesos...and receiving dollars in exchange?? and at their exchange rate....they now refer you to their ATM machine, which I will not use, small limit and all that,sooo....a bank transfer from the USA, to a Dominican bank is in order...which cuts the DR out of more dollars.....Doc.....

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Recently I went to Scotiabank to withdraw a two weeks funds from the ATM... they only dispensed $100.dop notes up to $2500.DOP ; i needed extra to pay for some repairs .... they took $40.CDN from my account to pay for the ATM charges.
Later I went to LaSarina and there was $1000.ooDOP notes being dispensed. The next week there was only $200.DOP notes being dispensed. Once again lots of ATM charges being accumulated.
Yeaterday there was $500,DOP notes at the Supermarket. All in all the bank was collecting huge amounts of ATM fees from Canadians,Americand, and Europeans and other visitors .....
Now I can understand why.... shortage of foreign currency in RD.
Russell

I have seen the Cabarete ScotiaBank ATM's offer 2 different things.

2 machines , side by side, one giving more $$ than the other...
go figure.

I use Progreso exclusively now

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
To answer questions. 

BHD bank

We don’t access online at all. Learned our lesson, will use xoom  to throw some money in every couple of months. They lock it after 6 months 

Xoom exchange rate sucks. 

Chico, you could be right. Apparently Dominicans with US citizenship are foreigners too them too. 

Check out the BHD fees to set up a second account and have online access to both. Keep minimum balance in new account, transfer $2000 pesos from main account to 2nd account every 3 months to keep both accounts active. Move funds back to main account every 3 months for balance of the year. If the fees are less than xoom exchange rate you are further ahead.

You could also try transferring to BIL's account this way also? Wire transfer from BHD to his bank?