It Seems Like The Peso Domincano

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
Except for the banking crisis years......that seems about the average depreciation rate.

The US Federal Reserve FOMC is meeting this week and likely to hike US rates. If US rates rise, this will push the peso value down further as it edges closer to a milestone 50:1 against the dollar.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2 

If the Federal Reserve was part of the US-Federal Gvt., wouldn't they have 'United States' in their title rather than just 'The Federal Reserve'? The Treasury Department is the United States Treasury. The first two central banks of the United States were entitled 'The Bank of the United States'-so those were all directly associated with the U.S. Gvt.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
4% seems about right for the past 10 years. However, using Banco Central's official exchange rate, the peso was 47.6 on Sept. 19th 2017 and 49.15 today.

That works out to be 6.5% annualized over the past 6 months which is why I said it is devaluating faster recently than normal. Nothing says it will continue at that rate though.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
That was the official government rate. The casa de cambios were offering several pesos more until Hipolito put the military outside their doors. I changed at 57:1....but.our departed CCccCcc got 59 at one point. 

Very short window......and then the IMF rescued the DR banking system and it went sharply the other way.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2 

Some folks were lucky enough to get CD's at 52% just before the exchange rate dropped to 33. *ahem*

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Some people made a lot of money in a very short time then!

Indeed they did. They only wished they had bought a lot more CD's but were really apprehensive about investing.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
If you take home delivery in USD you will get the delivery agent Caribe Express' rate of the day, which is usually pretty good. Funny thing is that USD is the only currency that the home delivery is available in on xoom's site, but Caribe Express will change it when they deliver it. Another funny thing is that xoom won't let you get USD unless you have it delivered, but if you don't want to wait for delivery, if you have them text you with updates, you will get a transaction number that you can bring to a Caribe Express teller and show your ID to pick it up there.

Interesting, thanks. We normally just have pesos deposited directly into my BIL’s account. We never tried delivery but it’s a good option to have.

Jan 9, 2004
Indeed they did. They only wished they had bought a lot more CD's but were really apprehensive about investing.

And rightfully so.....as the DR economy stared into the abyss...those that were willing to risk....reaped the reward. But it could very well have gone the other way.....which is what kept many from making one big bet, win or lose.

Everyone has a different risk/reward ratio.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Jan 9, 2004
The Federal Reserve FOMC has just announced a .25% hike in the feds funds rate, and barring black swan exogenous events, they expect further rate hikes in 2018 (2-3) and the same for 2019.

This will likely cause the DOP to further weaken against the USD.

Good news for those holding dollars and not so good news for those holding pesos.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

thompstr

Mar 21, 2018
interest rates

Post deleted by moderator. No DR content

Last edited by a moderator:

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
It was about a month ago. My immigration attorney was talking about it, but i wasn't paying close attention because I was just trying to find out why my permanent residency is taking so long.

I have not checked it out personally, but I do have a Ban Reservas account I seldom use. If it is 5% in dollars that is good (if you think it is safe). I got that rate for a few years in Puerto Rico (but those banks were FDIC insured - even though one of them failed after i got my money out)

I did check on the BanReservas web site but they don't post the CD rate but you could call or e-mail them

809 960 2121
809 200 2131
contacto@banreservas.com

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
It was about a month ago. My immigration attorney was talking about it, but i wasn't paying close attention because I was just trying to find out why my permanent residency is taking so long.

I have not checked it out personally, but I do have a Ban Reservas account I seldom use. If it is 5% in dollars that is good (if you think it is safe). I got that rate for a few years in Puerto Rico (but those banks were FDIC insured - even though one of them failed after i got my money out)

I did check on the BanReservas web site but they don't post the CD rate but you could call or e-mail them

809 960 2121
809 200 2131
contacto@banreservas.com

Exactly, if it is safe. I think we are heading into some very rough waters this year.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Exactly, if it is safe. I think we are heading into some very rough waters this year.
I can't speak to that but if I was to put enough in to a CD to make it worth my time I would be worried.
In Puerto Rico one of my banks Doral Bank went under with only a hint of problems for a few months before they folded, but before they failed I have shifted my deposits back to the US.

I'm the last one you should accept investment advice from unless you want a guaranteed loser.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
I can't speak to that but if I was to put enough in to a CD to make it worth my time I would be worried.
In Puerto Rico one of my banks Doral Bank went under with only a hint of problems for a few months before they folded, but before they failed I have shifted my deposits back to the US.

I'm the last one you should accept investment advice from unless you want a guaranteed loser.

Believe me-I went through Baninter-I know all about not keeping your cash in the banks here.

Jan 9, 2004
Believe me-I went through Baninter-I know all about not keeping your cash in the banks here.

15% of the depositors owned 85% of the deposits in Baninter. Some heavy hitters used their power and influence to get the government in conunction with loans from the IMF to cover those uninsured losses.

I still remember Sammy Sosa arriving with a bevy of lawyers from the US after the government closed the bank. He was rumored to have several million dollars on deposit there......and he even did their commercials....."Solid like Sammy Sosa" or something to that effect.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008

809 960 2121
809 200 2131
contacto@banreservas.com

It's hard to see that a USD CD with a 5% annual yield is possible, when $RD CD's yield at best around 6%.

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
Where did you see 5% on CD's at Banreservas? Thanks.

I believe that I saw the advertisement while in a branch two months ago. However, I recall that the CD was for a few years. When you add that to the minimum amount required, I did not look twice.