It was about time: Certifying electricians in the DR

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Certifican-Electricistas-SIE-1024x742.png

The Superintendence of Electricity has begun certifying electricians in the Dominican Republic.

The Superintendent of Electricity, Andres Astacio, described a first graduation of around 150 electrical technicians as a milestone in the country’s history.

“With this graduation, we are creating the bases and taking firm steps in the professionalization of our electrical technicians,” he said. Most electricians in the DR are persons who have learned on the job.

Astacio said that this certification project is part of the points agreed to in the National Electricity Pact signed at the beginning of the Abinader administration.

The National Electricity Pact called for creating a National Registry for Certified Electrical Technicians.

Likewise, the Superintendence of Electricity said that a list with all the information of the certified electrical technicians by...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
How about certified inspectors, and while your at it how about cert. plumbers ? plumbing in the US comes under the board of health, many diseases can be spread through bad plumbing.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
requisitos to become a certified electrician : 1 screwdriver and a roll of tapee......
I've never seen an electrician with a roll of tapee. NEVER. And I have dealt with more than anybody else on here I bet. (Ok, maybe not Maria):LOL:

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Certifications mean NOTHING without having a non-corrupted inspector or building dept. Who is going to sign off on the "certified" work??
Thirty years of experience in a country WITH laws and it happens everyday of the week. (corruption). And in the DR...????

Mr Deal HD

Sep 11, 2019
That's what we're talking about.
Just asking because I’ve seen all of them with it. And I’ve been around dozens in the past few years here. Maybe that’s just here in the national district though…🤷🏾‍♂️

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I've never seen an electrician with a roll of tapee. NEVER. And I have dealt with more than anybody else on here I bet. (Ok, maybe not Maria):LOL:
Every electrician I have seen here had tapey.. Every one. But I have no way to compare to your experience.

My first comment to this thread was going to be are they going to be educated on the proper usage and practices of tapey.

Likewise for me that they never had wire nuts that I did not supply myself and show them how to use them.

aeng

Aug 13, 2019
I'm just trying to sort out the electrics in my house !! It's a disaster Every Light switch, every Socket is wound together using Insulation Tape. Nothing identified in the House fuse box.
Several years ago there was a failure at the Edenorte Transformer post. A neutral wire failure which led 110v ac to become 240v ac, Didn't catch it in time because there was no Fuses or MCB between the Transformer wires and those connected to the house - ONLY Insulating tape ! The surge killed my Laptop, Pump, Gate Controller board and even the Surge protection units which are supposed to prevent this situation.

You see tape on EVERY meter connection !
It's down right dangerous , seriously un-proffessional and a disgrace to anyone who calls himself an Electrician ! Don't get me started !!

Reactions: windeguy

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
requisitos to become a certified electrician : 1 screwdriver and a roll of tapee......
A rusty screwdriver, a hammer and a pair of old wire dikes that has burn holes in the cutting edges and the tape will be cheapie Chinese - that does not stick

Reactions: windeguy

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Well, well Currently in DR you can hire professional electrician. Certified by higher level educational institutions as PUCAMAIMA / or vocational schools like IPISA...
If you need one let me know, I personally know three that I can highly recommend.

JJ😉

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
When we put in our inverter and batteries we had an electrician recommended by our landlady. In fact, she paid for the labor and I paid for the inverter and battery. I asked him where he went to school and he told me it was all OJT, so I doubt he has any paper or certs at all.

Nonetheless, we are extremely happy with his work and have had him over many times. He also does our plumbing. Again, impeccable work.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
When we put in our inverter and batteries we had an electrician recommended by our landlady. In fact, she paid for the labor and I paid for the inverter and battery. I asked him where he went to school and he told me it was all OJT, so I doubt he has any paper or certs at all.

Nonetheless, we are extremely happy with his work and have had him over many times. He also does our plumbing. Again, impeccable work.
My plumber always shows up with a hand sledge hammer and a chisel.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
DR1 is funnier when one has had a real life story supporting the tread title. The longer you live here the funnier it gets.
So we're out at the beach apt and Mrs. Electrican says we need to go to the SD house bc there are no lights working and the salon opens tomorrow. Oh...ok. On the way in while I have cars going at 2-2 1/2 times faster we're going flying all around me I timidly ask - What's your plan? Answer -no problem I'll go buy a new "box" at the hardware store. Yeah right! Like she knows what she is doing. We walk in and there is a stand alone cut-off switch box hanging on the wall. -Lets go. In the hardware store she describes the box like an item she has known for 20 years in her salon business. Get home and I ask-what now? I'm calling an electrician. He'll be here in 20 minutes. Again after 30 years in the business of flipping houses I think-yeah right! He comes in 20 minutes and reinstalls the switch box. The "tools" he had would fit in your front pocket of your pants. So how much you pay him? -$17 dollars. Wow... I tried to think of a funny line so that I could comment on what that would cost in the states but my mind was too twisted around.

P.S. He came by bicycle.