Jeeps - Most Economical?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
daydream said:
Apologies - I meant to add in the word 'manual/standard' to my sentence about not seeing many in the DR - most vehicles seem to be automatic?
Automatics are very popular these days.
15 years ago, it was hard to find one, except in upper echelon vehicles.
My first truck, a Toyota pick had a 5 speed, so did my 2 Daihatsu 5 ton trucks, as did my Acura Legend.

daydream said:
Yes the malecon looks great now. I can imagine it attracts many boy racers such as yourself ;) I wonder whether they have any plans to put speed bumps on it at any point in the near future? Hmm..
Shame on you for even suggesting speed bumps on that beautiful piece of pavement.
We the residents of Sosua, speed bump capital of the country, hate those danged things and are taking up a collection to scrape them all off our roads.

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
Rocky said:
Shame on you for even suggesting speed bumps on that beautiful piece of pavement.
We the residents of Sosua, speed bump capital of the country, hate those danged things and are taking up a collection to scrape them all off our roads.

Oh - dont get me wrong, I hate them too.....and I hope they don't put them on the Malecon either.....the money could be better spent elsewhere IMO :classic:

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
We have found the Nissan Terrano to be comfortable both on road and off (allows you to set the suspension for 'comfort' or 'sport') and it handled the descent at the Hoyo Pelempito with no problem at all, even when we met a rather large guagua coming uphill and had to literally reverse into a clearing in the forest to let the guagua pass.
It cushions my discless spine quite nicely and I haven't had any complaints about backaches after a long trip (11 hours back to and from Lago Enriquillo).
PapaTony's only complaint is that it's a 5 speed automatic rather than a 5 speed standard (like our last vehicle was). Personally I like the automatic since the roads in the DR are not exactly condusive to racing so the standard transmission really isn't missed.
It handles speed bumps and potholes with finesse and provides a feeling of security in knowing that should someone crash into you, you will have the protection of the larger body and construction to lessen the impact! Also smaller vehicles tend to 'shy away' from you which makes driving in the city much more pleasureable.

Last edited: