Jetblue is pulling out of Santo Domingo

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
What is the luggage restriction on Jetblue and are they strict about it. If they are, then there is your reason why Dominicans are not flying that airline in droves.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Dude, this has to stop...

Stodgord said:
What is the luggage restriction on Jetblue and are they strict about it. If they are, then there is your reason why Dominicans are not flying that airline in droves.

When I flew to Santo Domingo on Christmas, the plane was very overloaded. All of the airline employees were talking about it before we took off and it seemed to concern them greatly.

When we took off, you could feel the plane struggling to get off the ground. A few minutes later, we suddenly veered down and to the left-one of the scariest moments of my life. I grabbed the girl next to me and she grabbed me just as hard-we all panicked on the plane-then we straightened out.
Dominican flights are always weighted down by excess baggage. I know that people are bringing stuff for their family but they really take advantage and it creates a dangerous situation.

Then again, it was'nt THAT bad-my dream almost came true. I figure if I am going to die, let me go with a pretty dominican girl in my arms!!!

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Berzin said:
When I flew to Santo Domingo on Christmas, the plane was very overloaded. All of the airline employees were talking about it before we took off and it seemed to concern them greatly.

When we took off, you could feel the plane struggling to get off the ground. A few minutes later, we suddenly veered down and to the left-one of the scariest moments of my life. I grabbed the girl next to me and she grabbed me just as hard-we all panicked on the plane-then we straightened out.
Dominican flights are always weighted down by excess baggage. I know that people are bringing stuff for their family but they really take advantage and it creates a dangerous situation.

Then again, it was'nt THAT bad-my dream almost came true. I figure if I am going to die, let me go with a pretty dominican girl in my arms!!!

What airline were you flying?

And, were you able to ease the young lady's fears when the flight landed, at some point? LOL!!!

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
toneloc24 said:
What airline were you flying?

And, were you able to ease the young lady's fears when the flight landed, at some point? LOL!!!

American Airlines. We actually got along very well and chatted the whole flight-but I did'nt pursue anything. I already had my hands full before even leaving the airport. One of the young ladies checking passorts comes over to me(and I was surprised by the boldness) and starts her rap-"Tu esta bueno..."
what happened afterwards is not fit for the airlines thread of this forum.
Sankies at the airport? before I even get a chance to grab my luggage? No wonder I love the DR...

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
I don't know if this is true but what I have heard in the past is that Jetblue don't allow over 70 lbs per luggage even if the person is willing to pay for the overweights. They don't allow the usual overweight shopping bags that Dominicans are famous for. I bet that if Jetblue relax on their baggage restriction to a point where it is safe to fly the plane, Dominicans will be boarding them in droves.

xxeonzz

May 30, 2004
Stodgord said:
I don't know if this is true but what I have heard in the past is that Jetblue don't allow over 70 lbs per luggage even if the person is willing to pay for the overweights. They don't allow the usual overweight shopping bags that Dominicans are famous for. I bet that if Jetblue relax on their baggage restriction to a point where it is safe to fly the plane, Dominicans will be boarding them in droves.

I dont think Jetblue has much of a choice on relaxing their baggage restriction. Airlines dont expect to get 2 70 lb bags per person... I dont think their airplanes are able to handle this. AA uses only A300 to DR for this same reason. This plane is well known for its cargo potential. However, all of Jetblue's fleet is A320... which is a regular mid range airplane that usually works well in the North American and tourist market, not in the immigrant market.

STIOP

Jun 11, 2004
right on the money

xxeonzz said:
I dont think Jetblue has much of a choice on relaxing their baggage restriction. Airlines dont expect to get 2 70 lb bags per person... I dont think their airplanes are able to handle this. AA uses only A300 to DR for this same reason. This plane is well known for its cargo potential. However, all of Jetblue's fleet is A320... which is a regular mid range airplane that usually works well in the North American and tourist market, not in the immigrant market.

xxeonzz said it perfectly buddy

ALB3

Sep 15, 2003
Exactly

xxeonzz said:

The baggage issue is exactly what is causing Jet Blue to pull out of SDQ. The A320 does not have the capacity to support all the luggage Dominicans bring with them. With so many Domicans bringing what seems like their entire life with them Jet Blue has an overage of luggage and has to send excess luggage over to American (who charges them an arm & leg) or generate a luggage only flight, which generates no revenue. Their flights to SDQ are near capacity for passengers but having to rely on American for excess baggage or generate another flight is not making any money for them on their JFK-SDQ run; therefore, they are leaving SDQ.

santobonao

Bronze
Jun 3, 2003
www.telemundo.com
ALB3 said:
The baggage issue is exactly what is causing Jet Blue to pull out of SDQ. The A320 does not have the capacity to support all the luggage Dominicans bring with them. With so many Domicans bringing what seems like their entire life with them Jet Blue has an overage of luggage and has to send excess luggage over to American (who charges them an arm & leg) or generate a luggage only flight, which generates no revenue. Their flights to SDQ are near capacity for passengers but having to rely on American for excess baggage or generate another flight is not making any money for them on their JFK-SDQ run; therefore, they are leaving SDQ.

How come jetblue is not pulling out of STI?

If this problem is causing by the baggage.

Jun 5, 2004
santobonao said:
How come jetblue is not pulling out of STI?

If this problem is causing by the baggage.

Well I guess That things are coming out better in sti (more passangers, less baggage (Which is very hard to believe) ETC ETC ETC)

STIOP

Jun 11, 2004
good point......

apdomini100max said:
Well I guess That things are coming out better in sti (more passangers, less baggage (Which is very hard to believe) ETC ETC ETC)

Last night 149 pax.... NO left baggage.........

thats almost full.........
how was that load factor in SDQ????

Shame anyways man.... we need the competition for the fares to be fair
STIOP

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
I'd be willing to bet that compared with SDQ, a higher percentage of passengers flying to STI are tourists, who are ultimately headed to the north coast but fly into STI instead of POP because the airfare is lower. There have been a lot of requests on these forums for information on ground transportation from STI to PP, Sosua, Cabarete, Rio San Juan and Samana. This could partially explain the difference in luggage problems.

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
sweetdbt said:
I'd be willing to bet that compared with SDQ, a higher percentage of passengers flying to STI are tourists, who are ultimately headed to the north coast but fly into STI instead of POP because the airfare is lower. There have been a lot of requests on these forums for information on ground transportation from STI to PP, Sosua, Cabarete, Rio San Juan and Samana. This could partially explain the difference in luggage problems.

I can only relate my experiences with JB into/out of STI. The overwhelming majority of travelers on the flights that I flew were Dominicans. There were maybe 10-20 obvious tourists, the remainder were Dominicans on pretty full planes.

Whether that can somehow infer that the folks from the Santiago area understand the 70 lb rule and gladly obey it, as opposed to those who fly to SD, is up for debate. A debate that I'll watch from the sidelines :laugh: . From what I saw, they still had their two big bags, but only two, and within reason, Except for one lady who apparently was determined to decorate every room of her home in the US with all kinds of ceramics :speechles . I still have no idea how she got them all on the plane as "carry-on" items. SDQ is just a different beast altogether.

That several people on this forum board ask questions about ground transport from STI is somewhat irrelevant. Tourists pale in comparison to the amount of Dominicans who travel out of STI on a regular day. Perhaps someone who works in the STI airport can follow up on that assertion. I will concede that the number of tourists who fly into STI will probably continue to grow.

xxeonzz

May 30, 2004
The Jetblue flights to Puerto Rico have been extremely successful. AA is really getting a beating in that market. Jetblue has 4 daily flights to San Juan... my question is, how are they doing so well in that market when the luggage problem exists in PR as well. Granted, im sure its not as severe as with the D.R. but their flights have been extremely successful.

And its not even a case of lack of passengers. Jetblue is filling their flights up pretty well even when these flights are at horrible times. If Jetblue had a nice schedule for their STI flights, there would be absolutely no problem getting those flights full, no matter what some people here say (those that defend AA).

The problem is the luggage, PERIOD. Unfortunately, Dominicans abuse the luggage restrictions and are driving the competition and low prices out of their country. I think Airlines should just limit their restrictions to 50 LBS. I cant fathom the idea of carrying a bag that weighs more than that.

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
Talked to customer service yesterday about bringing extra baggage of gifts to the orphanage outside of Santiago. I told him that I will be flying from tampa to JFK and then to sti. I told him it would be greatly appreciated if they can work with me on getting the gifts to the children. his reply was that they will get back to me.

He also said the reason only 2 pieces of luggage is that people try to bring way too much on the flight to STI ,JFK.

riwiseuse

Feb 22, 2005
jet blue and santiago questions

easygoin said:
He also said the reason only 2 pieces of luggage is that people try to bring way too much on the flight to STI ,JFK.

hey there. one of those tourists who is going to be amongst that 5 or 10% of us on the JetBlue STI flight. Baggage is a little bit of a problem for us too, although maybe not from weight perspective. If I bring my kiteboard they charge $25 and it counts as one of my bags. That is the real problem - not that I think $25 bucks is out of whack given the inexpensive fare, but now I have a problem unless my other bag is very large. Anyone have any experience how persnickety they are about the size of the bag as opposed to its weight. I should be able to stay under 70 pounds but need something bigger than the 62 unit inches the allow if I can only bring one more bag. If it was just a question of keeping my entire baggage alottment to 140 lbs. no problem.

Otherwise anyone know someone who has a 180 beginner board down there I could beg, borrow or steal?

Well everybody has their complaints but I looked into the baggage requirments and decided to go for the money savings because I wish to support the competitive environment that airlines like JetBlue create so I will put up with a little inconvenience to add my support and pray for the best. Southwest has worked miracles in the US in this regard - there is airline you might court if you really have some potentially attractive routes although they don't go internationally right now.

I priced out that $290 itinerary with American as a comparison and got about the same amount in taxes added above the quoted ticket price (actually jet blue taxes were $110 per round trip and American were $120, but maybe the AMerican fee includes the visitor card, which I konw Jetblue does not).

Once you break these taxes down the segment that goes to the DR (well more than half) is twice as large as the taxes I paid to St. Lucia for a vacation flight last year. Wonder why that is. Nobody has had an explanation of what the charges are for in the DR and it is kind of a bummer to pay almost as much in taxes as I'm paying for the trip but I guess I should just be happy the trip is cheap -- although I'd rather give my limited dollars to small businesses in the DR than to the government but that is my own political hangup.

I do think if you have other inqueries about transit from STI to the coast on this forum, it does indicate some of us tourists are budget conscious and flying the jetblue route. I have request for help/advice in that that regard.

I have no friend on the ground, soon to become ex-friend if I asked them to pick me up at 2:00 in the morning in Santiago. Theoretically I believe I have arranged a late night pick-up by adventure rent-a-car (extra $29 US). I have good night vision but this will be first trip to the DR. Is it stupid to think of setting out in the dark. Would it be safer/more sensible to just snooze in the STI airport lounge and get picked around first light (which is when these days??) or would that be considered poor form or does sitting around the airport make one a target of opportunity for less ethical 'buinessmen'.

Got a note from another tourist that I could also consider a cabana on the highway between Santiago and Puerto Plata Cabarete. Is this a rational approach? How easy is it to get on the main highway to the coast and find these cabanas and once I've done that if I'm not nodding off or anything any reason not to just keep driving?

The note I have says I will see these cabanas on the road and I should just drive into them and someone will come to a pick-up window to collect a fee for 3 or 4 hours. I'm completely unfamiliar with this sort of arrangement and could use a primer. How will I recognize them, what might be the cost of this kind of lodging.

Thanks

Brian

Rhode Island,

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
in the same boat

riwiseuse said:
hey there. one of those tourists who is going to be amongst that 5 or 10% of us on the JetBlue STI flight. Baggage is a little bit of a problem for us too, although maybe not from weight perspective. If I bring my kiteboard they charge $25 and it counts as one of my bags. That is the real problem - not that I think $25 bucks is out of whack given the inexpensive fare, but now I have a problem unless my other bag is very large. Anyone have any experience how persnickety they are about the size of the bag as opposed to its weight. I should be able to stay under 70 pounds but need something bigger than the 62 unit inches the allow if I can only bring one more bag. If it was just a question of keeping my entire baggage alottment to 140 lbs. no problem.

Otherwise anyone know someone who has a 180 beginner board down there I could beg, borrow or steal?

Well everybody has their complaints but I looked into the baggage requirments and decided to go for the money savings because I wish to support the competitive environment that airlines like JetBlue create so I will put up with a little inconvenience to add my support and pray for the best. Southwest has worked miracles in the US in this regard - there is airline you might court if you really have some potentially attractive routes although they don't go internationally right now.

I priced out that $290 itinerary with American as a comparison and got about the same amount in taxes added above the quoted ticket price (actually jet blue taxes were $110 per round trip and American were $120, but maybe the AMerican fee includes the visitor card, which I konw Jetblue does not).

Once you break these taxes down the segment that goes to the DR (well more than half) is twice as large as the taxes I paid to St. Lucia for a vacation flight last year. Wonder why that is. Nobody has had an explanation of what the charges are for in the DR and it is kind of a bummer to pay almost as much in taxes as I'm paying for the trip but I guess I should just be happy the trip is cheap -- although I'd rather give my limited dollars to small businesses in the DR than to the government but that is my own political hangup.

I do think if you have other inqueries about transit from STI to the coast on this forum, it does indicate some of us tourists are budget conscious and flying the jetblue route. I have request for help/advice in that that regard.

I have no friend on the ground, soon to become ex-friend if I asked them to pick me up at 2:00 in the morning in Santiago. Theoretically I believe I have arranged a late night pick-up by adventure rent-a-car (extra $29 US). I have good night vision but this will be first trip to the DR. Is it stupid to think of setting out in the dark. Would it be safer/more sensible to just snooze in the STI airport lounge and get picked around first light (which is when these days??) or would that be considered poor form or does sitting around the airport make one a target of opportunity for less ethical 'buinessmen'.

Got a note from another tourist that I could also consider a cabana on the highway between Santiago and Puerto Plata Cabarete. Is this a rational approach? How easy is it to get on the main highway to the coast and find these cabanas and once I've done that if I'm not nodding off or anything any reason not to just keep driving?

The note I have says I will see these cabanas on the road and I should just drive into them and someone will come to a pick-up window to collect a fee for 3 or 4 hours. I'm completely unfamiliar with this sort of arrangement and could use a primer. How will I recognize them, what might be the cost of this kind of lodging.

Thanks

Brian

Rhode Island,

And waiting for reply from JetBlue, nothing as of yet. I understand weight capacity and baggage. I myself would like to fly them within my whole trip meaning tampa to JFK to STI and then back to JFK and Tampa. My family flies them more than you could imagine, I mean thousands of dollars a year for low-budget airline. All I asked from them is to get the gifts to the children in Santiago and pop. I have not checked AA as of yet but it seems to me that may be an avenue that I must take if no response. As far as jet blue baggage they are pretty stern. As far as checking dimensions i'm really not sure to give you an answer to that. Your best bet would be to call and confirm your issue. Good luck with your trip ;)

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
sometimes good things happen for the right reason

A supervisor from JetBlue called and wanted to know my needs. I explained to her with the extra baggage was for and she said that nice of you to do that. I will call my boss and we will take care of it the best we can. I even told her that if I need to take only one carry-on and one for the children could they at least take the other for the children, and she said this must be important I said yes it is and thanks for your help in any way. She replied to me by saying I got the ball rolling. So I believe that this matter will be solved due to everyone coming together as a team and seeing what is really important. So Bushbaby and HB just need a little help when I get there. ;)

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
riwiseuse said:
I priced out that $290 itinerary with American as a comparison and got about the same amount in taxes added above the quoted ticket price (actually jet blue taxes were $110 per round trip and American were $120, but maybe the AMerican fee ****includes the visitor card****, which I konw Jetblue does not).,

Nope, it doesn't. The departure taxes are prepaid in AA's tickets if you have been paying cash when you leave with Jet Blue there is a savings of $20 US or so.

If JB is really cheap someone could always pay for two seats and have twice the luggage allowance if that works out less per kilo than paying extra.