Jfk to Santo Domingo SOLD OUT

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Great news. I posted in another thread that WestJet has added a second flight on Saturdays and Sundays starting in early November from Toronto to PUJ.
Hope this is the beginning of things to come.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Great news. I posted in another thread that WestJet has added a second flight on Saturdays and Sundays starting in early November from Toronto to PUJ.
Hope this is the beginning of things to come.
It is. It's getting cold outside baby. Ppl are tired of beinging penned in. Working from home has changed the world around. "Where is your lap top? Oh, I don't know, mabey the beach, maybe in cold Canada, what difference does it make jefe, i'll get the work done as soon as I finish early morning golf." Case closed. lol.

Reactions: aarhus

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
and as I posted ... the United girl told me they were fielding more calls....

sorry for your long wait Mr Webster

In large part - people are creatures of habit
If RD can get the point across - lees here than where you live.... a glimmer of hope

Andre14615

Banned
May 31, 2019
The question is this, is that flight booked with tourists or Dominican New Yorkers. The situation could still be dire if it's the latter

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
The question is this, is that flight booked with tourists or Dominican New Yorkers. The situation could still be dire if it's the latter
My last flight which was a month ago they were mostly Doms. I'll try and get a fix on your question tomorrow.

Reactions: Andre14615

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Please disregard my previous posting about WestJet. They have cancelled all their flights to the DR in November and now say December. If you want to get here from Canada AC still flies on weekends. Or you can fly through the US.
Once we burn our credits at WJ, I will never fly with them again. If you look up irresponsible asshole run companies in Webster's you will find a picture of WestJet.

PCMike

Aug 30, 2008
With Air Canada flying at 30-40% full, WestJet made the right decision to delay. Simply not feasible.

Reactions: El Calvito

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Iberia is flying full from Madrid to Santo Domingo 4 times a week, I have heard from several people that the loads are very high and they are even having standby passengers as the flight is oversold. But the vast majority of traffic is returning Dominicans and those visiting friends and family, as well as some businesspeople. Very few tourists.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Just saw this on FB: WESTJET JUST CANCELLED ALL NOVEMBER FLIGHTS FROM TORONTO
TO POP

Someone else mentioned Canadians have to fly to Punta Cana to reach the DR at this time.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
US travel is picking - a bit

US airlines carried more than 1m passengers for the first time in seven months on Sunday in a new milestone for the Covid-ravaged aviation industry.

Airport security checkpoints processed 1,031,505 people - but that was only 40pc of the total on the same day last year, according to figures from the Transportation Security Administration.

Several of the busiest days since mid-March have occurred in the past two weeks and passenger loads have been gradually increasing, but it hardly equals good news for the industry.

If Sunday’s passenger levels were maintained for an entire year, it would take the sector back to levels last seen in 1984, according to trade body Airlines for America.

The steep drop in flyers has resulted in billions of dollars of losses and tens of thousands of redundancies. A federal aid package that covered wage costs and prevented more job cuts expired on Oct 1 and attempts to extend it have faltered.

Sunday was the busiest day for air travel since March 16, when 1,258,772 people passed through domestic screening, according to TSA.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Iberia is flying full from Madrid to Santo Domingo 4 times a week, I have heard from several people that the loads are very high and they are even having standby passengers as the flight is oversold. But the vast majority of traffic is returning Dominicans and those visiting friends and family, as well as some businesspeople. Very few tourists.

While not in diasgreement with your asssertion, I can't help but believe that the returning Dominican numbers are being underestimated as a whole to the exact extent of their activities here, as well as their purchasing power.
While of course not on par with fullscale normal operations of a busy season, the returning numbers en masse are indeed welcomed.
This past week I have witnessed groups of Dominican families from the US of A, and several European nations shopping in Jumbo and Iberia and then returning to condominium complexes that they have rented along the southern tier. While many indeed may take the time to visit both family and friends, they are choosing to take advantage of lower than normal costs to provide themselves with a decent vacation/escape from the craziness in some parts of the world.
So, while not exactly a "tourist", they ARE here on vacation.....with purchasing power.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Just got off flight two hours ago. Jet blue JFK to Santo Domingo. Sold out flight. Way different than the past couple of months and I do this every month. SDQ is not a good airport to count tourists from NY . Never has been in my opinion over the past 18 years but at immigration the lines for residents and vistors were about the same length.
However the lines for vistors seemed to be 90 % Doms. IDK I was just happy with a 3 hr 20 min flight, no hassle at airport and out the door. Can't beat it with a stick.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
While not in diasgreement with your asssertion, I can't help but believe that the returning Dominican numbers are being underestimated as a whole to the exact extent of their activities here, as well as their purchasing power.
While of course not on par with fullscale normal operations of a busy season, the returning numbers en masse are indeed welcomed.
This past week I have witnessed groups of Dominican families from the US of A, and several European nations shopping in Jumbo and Iberia and then returning to condominium complexes that they have rented along the southern tier. While many indeed may take the time to visit both family and friends, they are choosing to take advantage of lower than normal costs to provide themselves with a decent vacation/escape from the craziness in some parts of the world.
So, while not exactly a "tourist", they ARE here on vacation.....with purchasing power.
I see this first hand. This information and insight has a lot of merit.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
However the lines for vistors seemed to be 90 % Doms. IDK I was just happy with a 3 hr 20 min flight, no hassle at airport and out the door. Can't beat it with a stick.
When I flew down from MIA to STI
on Sept 17th, I'd say it was a 60/40%
DomYorkas vs Tourist. No matter where
they are arriving from it's still bringing
needed money into the local economy...
so +positive in my opinion.

Reactions: melphis

CDNBear

Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Cabarete
When I flew down from MIA to STI
on Sept 17th, I'd say it was a 60/40%
DomYorkas vs Tourist. No matter where
they are arriving from it's still bringing
needed money into the local economy...
so +positive in my opinion.

Pretty good accurate observation CR!

In the particular case of September, the total influx of non-resident visitors by air was 103,942 people (57,065 Dominicans and 46,877 foreigners), the vast majority from the United States of America.

Source Banco Central

Reactions: CristoRey