Jolly Roger only $399K in Sosua

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Fantastic opportunity to own a successful bar in Sosua. Turn key and ready for new owners. All financials, books etc are up to date and in order. The current owners offer their help to get you "sea legs". $399,000 US

picurka

Mar 3, 2022
Canada
It is I'm guessing business only? Highly unlikely that they own the building. And if they don't then rent must be very high because of the location. Prices of food and alcohol in restaurants are extremely hight right now, so I think more and more people who live in the area full time will not go out to bars as often. So these type of businesses are going down in my opinion. It might work if you start fresh. Find a fairly good location and just pay the rent and buy inventory. It is a lot cheaper then US$ 399,000

XQT

Dec 7, 2022
Puerto Plata

Fantastic opportunity to own a successful bar in Sosua. Turn key and ready for new owners. All financials, books etc are up to date and in order. The current owners offer their help to get you "sea legs". $399,000 US

Jolly Roger has been a mainstay of Sosua Bars/Restaurant's for many years.
Used to be consistently well visited.

To me, a sad testament of Sosua decline.
Many are losing hope for the beach and town.
Years of poor polices have driven investment and tourism away.

The lost tourism in Sosua and Cabarete will be hard to get back.
From a jolly pirate cove it turned into a sleazy stroll.
Even if one lives in a nice home, on the outside is dysfunctional life.

For me the future lies between Montellano and Puerto Plata.
Important services are also in P.P.

XQT

Dec 7, 2022
Puerto Plata
It is I'm guessing business only? Highly unlikely that they own the building. And if they don't then rent must be very high because of the location. Prices of food and alcohol in restaurants are extremely hight right now, so I think more and more people who live in the area full time will not go out to bars as often. So these type of businesses are going down in my opinion. It might work if you start fresh. Find a fairly good location and just pay the rent and buy inventory. It is a lot cheaper then US$ 399,000

Compared to US and EU prices and quality of service, prices in Sosua are very high.
Normal food preparation sandwiches, burgers a la carte is 10 -20- max 30 min not an hour.
Consistency is expected.
Non of this in most Sosua Restaurants.

Britanina was a good restaurant years ago.
So was the Italian restaurant a few doors up the road.
With high operating costs/employee cost and low tourism volume it is hard to survive.

FF1

Dec 17, 2022
DR
I found Jolly Roger to be way overpriced for what you get. Tried a few things on the menu and was not impressed, Matteo's a few steps away is way better and the prices are reasonable. Spending 400K on a business that the ayuntamiento can decide to shut down whenever they please is ludicrous.

picurka

Mar 3, 2022
Canada
I found Jolly Roger to be way overpriced for what you get. Tried a few things on the menu and was not impressed, Matteo's a few steps away is way better and the prices are reasonable. Spending 400K on a business that the ayuntamiento can decide to shut down whenever they please is ludicrous.
Oh yeah, I was never even thought about that. Yes it could be shut down at any point of time. And then you can say good by to your money for ever.
But the sad thing is that the real estate agent who will be selling it will tell the potential buyers that it is well established and profitable. And it will be true for the past maybe. But I'm sure that they are on the downhill for the last 3-4 years for sure. Actually they might show more business for this last season then the previous 2 years and they will say that business was slow because of the plandemic and now it is coming back up. Bla Bla Bla. It will be thrive again. Owners selling because of retirement or health reasons as usual.
I just hope that whoever is thinking of buying it knows the DR and have a very good plan to make it work.

picurka

Mar 3, 2022
Canada
Compared to US and EU prices and quality of service, prices in Sosua are very high.
Normal food preparation sandwiches, burgers a la carte is 10 -20- max 30 min not an hour.
Consistency is expected.
Non of this in most Sosua Restaurants.

Britanina was a good restaurant years ago.
So was the Italian restaurant a few doors up the road.
With high operating costs/employee cost and low tourism volume it is hard to survive.
Yes i agree with you. You see soo many new restaurants open and then close shortly after.

FF1

Dec 17, 2022
DR
Oh yeah, I was never even thought about that. Yes it could be shut down at any point of time. And then you can say good by to your money for ever...
If Willy decides to open a restaurant/bar in that area and sees you as real competition they'll pass some by-law in 20 minutes to shut you down 😂

Reactions: jd426

XQT

Dec 7, 2022
Puerto Plata
It's a leasehold. Monthly rent is around USD$1500. $400k is a joke for that place. It's not worth more than 150k. Chez Montreal recently sold. Anybody know how much it went for?
Agree,
All you get is existing inventory and patrons.

Over the years many foreign operators have been closed down, or pushed out.
A hard place to turn a profit margin.
Even worse for hopeful people who do not know the environment.

Almost all would do better in their home countries.

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
Jolly is consistently as busy as any bar in Sosua,I know for a fact that they have consistently healthy profit,that is why they are asking what they are asking. They had it almost sold already. Yeah yeah I know,almost doesn't count.

• Wow
Reactions: windeguy

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
It's a leasehold. Monthly rent is around USD$1500. $400k is a joke for that place. It's not worth more than 150k. Chez Montreal recently sold. Anybody know how much it went for?
I had a bar once. The guy before me was selling the business for 75K. I told the owner I'd take it once the guy closed.
When he closed, the owner made him clear it out, and I started fresh with a 2-month deposit and all new equipment.
It was a gold mine for the 10 years I owned it, then sold the business for 50K.

Reactions: jd426

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
On febu they say the books are up to date, but why would that matter. This should not be an RNC transfer. The locale and equipment only, perhaps some intangible assets. The current owner must liquidate his staff. No one should buy a previous owner's RNC which means you are inheriting any hidden nonsense. Tax, other debt, etc.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Jolly Roger has been a mainstay of Sosua Bars/Restaurant's for many years.
Used to be consistently well visited.

To me, a sad testament of Sosua decline.
Many are losing hope for the beach and town.
Years of poor polices have driven investment and tourism away.

The lost tourism in Sosua and Cabarete will be hard to get back.
From a jolly pirate cove it turned into a sleazy stroll.
Even if one lives in a nice home, on the outside is dysfunctional life.

For me the future lies between Montellano and Puerto Plata.
Important services are also in P.P.
By far and away the main thing that "drove" tourists from the north coast was Punta Cana.
Aint' nuthin' anybody on the north coast could have or can do about that.

Tourism isn't coming back. Once a place loses its luster to another, tourism does not return again.

Playa Bergantin will draw some tourists when the project is completed, but it won't be anything like Punta Cana or Pedernales will be.