Jolly Roger only $399K in Sosua

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Thanks to the cruise ships yes. Most of them only go to some places (where the taxi drivers get money), some go to other places, but the main thing is that more people in pop now have money and they spend it in the other places. (like for example when I opened my bar 10 years ago, on Sunday Dominicans would sit on the other site of the road with beers that they bought in the colmadon, since the cruise ships, they still sit on the other site of the road, but they now come and buy beers with us, even when we are more expensive than a colmadon. And also I have a lot of clients that didn't have a lot of money before the cruise ships. They would come and drink a coffee or a soda, now some of them come and drink and eat and spend a lot more, just because they work with the cruise ships. So it is not so much from the tourists of the cruise ships themselfs, but more from people working with them.
So the cruise customers have enriched Dominicans that are now buying at the bar instead of beers in a paper bag. Not so much an increase in tourists from cruises at your location since they only get taken to specific cruise approved vendors. Some trickle down money. Interesting.

Reactions: PCMike

XQT

Dec 7, 2022
Puerto Plata
That's like saying the DR is only what you see in Sosua.
Yes, Pattaya is a better looking and organised Sosua times a 1.000 in size, but, just like DR, that is not representative of the whole of Thailand.
No comparison.
One is advanced with modern infrastructure and medical care.
The other is a very slowly emerging and growing country.

Reactions: CristoRey

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Blue Collar Town in New Jersey
When you owned the place it was well run, good food and service consistently!
Of course you and your wife were there to oversee everything.
Those days are long gone, the whole town is a different place.

Cosign , 100 % .. His lovely wife even yelled at a cop trying to give me a parking Ticket , and the cop backed down .. lol
Its the little things you never forget.

BelgianMik

Jul 9, 2015
So the cruise customers have enriched Dominicans that are now buying at the bar instead of beers in a paper bag. Not so much an increase in tourists from cruises at your location since they only get taken to specific cruise approved vendors. Some trickle down money. Interesting.
Yes indeed. We get some extra tourists, the ones that don(t take a taxi but explore themselfs, or in my case tourists that are in to tasting special beers, but that is not much, lets say a couple of people every couple of weeks. But Dominicans and expats who work with the cruise ships, spend a lot more money. Not only Dominicans. most of the expats that come to my bar work, and a lot of them with the cruise ships.

Reactions: JD Jones

Big

Apr 24, 2019
No comparison.
One is advanced with modern infrastructure and medical care.
The other is a very slowly emerging and growing country.
no comparison? we must have been to a different Thailand.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
That's like saying the DR is only what you see in Sosua.
Yes, Pattaya is a better looking and organised Sosua times a 1.000 in size, but, just like DR, that is not representative of the whole of Thailand.
As someone who ran a business for a few years in Pattaya, I agree.