Juan Dolio - South Beach of the Caribbean !!!

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
yes I posted on there. I think It’s about moving to paradise with a business and relocating staff there. So PC can rent out office space and rent out and sell real estate. So it’s about real estate again. and creating some jobs.
I don't think that's what it was about. And they made a terrible analogy. They weren't referring to exec jobs either. More zona franca low end deported folk who were the the stars of the famous las Americas tech park.

Reactions: aarhus

Joe Boots

Jun 16, 2008
I stay away from the comparisons. Juan Dolio is a creature of its own. It may or may not be your thing. It depends upon what you are looking for. But again I think this guys nice video summed it up well.

Reactions: dulce and cavok

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I stay overnight in Juan Dolio quite often. It really is in two parts - there is the old part, where there are a few public bars on the beach, and I think the food and drink prices are quite high, despite the area on the street being a bit run down.

The other part is where the modern high-end resorts and expensive apartments are located. The problem here is that the best parts of the beach are cordoned off by the resorts and apartment buildings, and there are no public beach bars as such. However, I choose to stay in this area overnight because there are a couple of good-value hotels on the main street, some reasonable restaurants and a few colmados where you can sit outside and enjoy a cheapish beer while watching the world go by. You have to ignore the view of the many unoccupied apartment buildings which are rotting away, having (I suppose) gone bust during or after construction.

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
This is the place I visit. So underrated compared to Punta Cana. The beaches are great and i like the fact it is only 20-30 mins from the airport. A bit pricey at $75-100 a day, less weekly monthly, but if you can afford it....

Joe Boots

Jun 16, 2008
I stay overnight in Juan Dolio quite often. It really is in two parts - there is the old part, where there are a few public bars on the beach, and I think the food and drink prices are quite high, despite the area on the street being a bit run down.

The other part is where the modern high-end resorts and expensive apartments are located. The problem here is that the best parts of the beach are cordoned off by the resorts and apartment buildings, and there are no public beach bars as such. However, I choose to stay in this area overnight because there are a couple of good-value hotels on the main street, some reasonable restaurants and a few colmados where you can sit outside and enjoy a cheapish beer while watching the world go by. You have to ignore the view of the many unoccupied apartment buildings which are rotting away, having (I suppose) gone bust during or after construction.
The Italian restaurant to the right of Don Pedro's is exceptional. (Old JD) The beach is free from the water line to a certain point. Its a picnic basket and beach towel type of thing.(New JD). Go west further to Guanacanes also very nice. Restaurant Pescadores.

Joe Boots

Jun 16, 2008
This is the place I visit. So underrated compared to Punta Cana. The beaches are great and i like the fact it is only 20-30 mins from the airport. A bit pricey at $75-100 a day, less weekly monthly, but if you can afford it....
Bring down the price depending. Meridiana or Plaza Real. There are options.

Reactions: JayinRD

Nadie21

Jun 3, 2021
Santa Clarita
Beach pretty..but to us unfortunately…a slum on a beach. Have not seen anything there appealing. The abandoned constructions etc.and the surroundings. if you make it to the water that is wonderful. Juan Dolio..another failure.

Reactions: aarhus

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Beach pretty..but to us unfortunately…a slum on a beach. Have not seen anything there appealing. The abandoned constructions etc.and the surroundings. if you make it to the water that is wonderful. Juan Dolio..another failure.
Nothing worse than abandoned constructions. Ruined the Malecon of Santo Domingo and I fear some other parts of the DR may be following this path.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
This thread was fun and maybe relevant at one stage several years ago. We know now it didnt become what the title suggested.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
A 14 year old thread that didn't amount to much. A metaphor for so many other things in this country?
I think it’s so bad they really should close this thread. Then fine if someone wants to discuss real estate in Juan Dolio again start a new thread from a new more realistic perspective.

Reactions: johne

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
Why close it? Gives me a chance to say how much I like Juan dolio. Wide beaches, 2 nice public entrances, decent restaurants. The place I am staying at overlooks the ocean beach, fast wifi, hot water, great a/c, $70 a night , quiet, big improvement over Boca chica and still only a 20 min taxi from the country's main airport. Should be much more crowded for a Feb but I guess punta cana has better PR

Why close it? Gives me a chance to say how much I like Juan dolio. Wide beaches, 2 nice public entrances, decent restaurants. The place I am staying at overlooks the ocean beach, fast wifi, hot water, great a/c, $70 a night , quiet, big improvement over Boca chica and still only a 20 min taxi from the country's main airport. Should be much more crowded for a Feb but I guess punta cana has better PR
70 Dollar a night is very expensive. I rent apartments with airco, kitchen tv, wifi for 30 Dollar a night www.guesthouseholland.com Whatsapp + 1 809 399 5766

Reactions: JD Jones

hedon

Mar 26, 2008
The secretary of Tourism, Felix Jim?nez, announced that within the goals to diversify the tourist supply of the country contemplates to turn to Juan Dolio to ?South Beach? of the Caribbean or prepared zone to receive the visit of important personalities, specially of the jet-set international . In addition, he informed that two Marinas in the area will be constructed, and the one between Juan Dolio and the Hig?ano river, which will attract a greater number of tourists of high consumption. Jim?nez offered the details during the Breakfast of DAILY newspaper LIST?N Diario... Jim?nez announced that in this period of government the construction of towers of up to 15 and 20 floors will be authorized in Juan Dolio. Nevertheless, it informed that they have unified the development norms, and consequently, buildings one next to the other will not be able to be constructed. It indicated that there will be a minimum of meters to allow people to walk by the inner streets, to see the sea and the gardens of the area. ?They will not settle down more density of 400 rooms by hectare, if it is allowed: for example a rate of minimum occupying of terrain for projects would be a 40 percent of development, in that case would allow the construction of 10 floors?, explained the secretary of Tourism. It showed that when the rate of occupying of terrain is 30 percent will be equivalent to 15 floors, and that when it has a rate of 25 percent will have 20 floors. The new projects that would be developed in the zone will be of between 10 and 20 floors. Transformation From the past year in Juan Dolio the real estate tourism is being developed and many foreigners are doing of this country his second house, as far as investing in houses and apartments, explained Jim?nez. It needed that due to the natural wealth in this zone and its enormous potential as destiny, has conquered to a segment of the tourist sector of high spending power?
Be careful what you wish for is appropriate here. I spend six months a year in South Florida . I have also spend some time in Juan Dolio. I avoid South Beach like the plague. It is overcrowded, expensive ,noisy and often an area of muggings and shootings. If I am on the south side of DR then I go to Juan Dolio to chill and relax a little. It has expensive condos and a few resorts but it is an escape from the noise of Boca Chica and Santo Domingo. It could use a supermarket but I would hate to see it become like South Beach

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Juan Dolió and Boca Chica are on the East side of SD, I will say South / East DR.

JJ