Judy's Pet Lodge?

sabra

Jun 16, 2007
Ok, you just said it, we all have our priorities and mine just happens to NOT be stray dogs. Does that mean I'm evil? NO. So his comment to me was uncalled for. I find it funny how so many people find soooooo much money and soooo much room for stray dogs when I have seen pics of half-starving appearing children on the streets of Sosua.
I could say that YOU GUYS are bad for choosing to help dogs over human children but I don't because EVERYONE HAS THEIR PRIORITIES....yours are animals, mine are children and pregnant women.
I wouldn't down you for your priorities

SHALENA

And a good way is to help children and for the animals, in the dimension what is possible. If more people
would do this, should be great. Degrading people cannot be helpful, wastes our time.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
So why didn't you just cut to the chase and call them yourself?

Cutting corners again as usual?

Its really not that simple especially not with non profit organizations and especially not the ones who are concerned about the welfare of stray dogs.

My experience is that as long as there is no coherent policy and common understanding between all members of such an organization about taking some - maybe unpopular decisions - that organization is not ready to receive some professional help of an experienced dog trainer/behaviour therapist.

The reason is that some volunteers take really offence in some of the training methods of behaviour therapists such as I am, or have constant comments on it due to ignorance (no offence but we are talking about volunteers sometimes with a very basic understanding of a dogs behaviour) and let me make myself clear on this one, if I ever should engage in such and undertaking its the dog that comes first for me and I don take any advice from anybody on my training/re-education solutions unless he/she is on the same level of expertise on dog behaviour as I am.

My door is open for any questions of these particular organizations but they should come to a consensus of what they want to do regarding to the future.

I am certainly not going to take the first step because it will just cause confusion and more boehoe. If people are not willing to listen to the truth and willing to learn, its hardly worth to do the effort, the dialoge has to to come from both way's and after reading the posts here, I am pretty sure these organizations are not ready for such a dialoge with me, unless the people here posting on behalve of those organizations are not the people who I should have a conversation with in the first place.

Its not my responsibility to make the first move, so if these organizations feel the need for any professional help, I am sure they will contact me when they are ready. Thats the way I deal with these organizations and I am not going to chance that habit.

I have patience and in the mean time enough work with my own dogs and other projects that caught my attention and are far more worth looking into right now.

Acira

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Gosh, I went out for dinner last night and missed my own crucifixion......
and WW3 lasted over 5 hours!!!

Too late for redemption......

Can we close this now??

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Cutting corners again as usual?

Its really not that simple especially not with non profit organizations and especially not the ones who are concerned about the welfare of stray dogs.

My experience is that as long as there is no coherent policy and common understanding between all members of such an organization about taking some - maybe unpopular decisions - that organization is not ready to receive some professional help of an experienced dog trainer/behaviour therapist.

The reason is that some volunteers take really offence in some of the training methods of behaviour therapists such as I am, or have constant comments on it due to ignorance (no offence but we are talking about volunteers sometimes with a very basic understanding of a dogs behaviour) and let me make myself clear on this one, if I ever should engage in such and undertaking its the dog that comes first for me and I don take any advice from anybody on my training/re-education solutions unless he/she is on the same level of expertise on dog behaviour as I am.

My door is open for any questions of these particular organizations but they should come to a consensus of what they want to do regarding to the future.

I am certainly not going to take the first step because it will just cause confusion and more boehoe. If people are not willing to listen to the truth and willing to learn, its hardly worth to do the effort, the dialoge has to to come from both way's and after reading the posts here, I am pretty sure these organizations are not ready for such a dialoge with me, unless the people here posting on behalve of those organizations are not the people who I should have a conversation with in the first place.

Its not my responsibility to make the first move, so if these organizations feel the need for any professional help, I am sure they will contact me when they are ready. Thats the way I deal with these organizations and I am not going to chance that habit.

I have patience and in the mean time enough work with my own dogs and other projects that caught my attention and are far more worth looking into right now.

Acira
Let me help you out by restating the question: why didn't you call AAAS to find if their "drop off" policy had changed, instead of asking here? You could have gone right to the source.

But are you actually saying that you are so "professional", so knowledgeable, so convinced YOUR way is the best and only way that you won't volunteer or give money because you are afraid your very presence will cause discord within the organization because YOU have the truth? And they aren't ready for the "truth?" That they aren't professional, so they won't heed your counsel and organizational conflict would be inevitable?

Oh, but you're willing to have "dialogue" with them when ~they~ are ready, but ~they~ have to make the first call? How about a light flashed into the sky ala Gotham City?

Would they have to grovel if/when they make that call? Will you put on your Super God Trainer Suit when you hold court and tell them the "truth" of how things should be done? Oh, I forgot, they aren't ready for your "truth." Catch 22...

Seems to me they don't need a dog behaviorial therapist with an ego the size of Siberia. Seems to me they need hands that will work, clean, pet, ANSWER PHONES (since you prejudge those that do as being incompetent, unable to speak to the public on AAAS policy) and offer assistance out of their love for dogs, and not to stroke their ego.

Simply unbelievable...

Aug 21, 2007
You said it better than any of us could, Cobraboy.

As an educator, I have always believed that if knowledge is valuable, it should be passed on. That is how individuals and the world as a whole become better educated. They grow and improve.

It's just a shame that that the knowledge held by Acira is so unique, so valuable, yet they feel others are unworthy of benefitting from it.

Lindsey

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
You said it better than any of us could, Cobraboy.

As an educator, I have always believed that if knowledge is valuable, it should be passed on. That is how individuals and the world as a whole become better educated. They grow and improve.

It's just a shame that that the knowledge held by Acira is so unique, so valuable, yet they feel others are unworthy of benefitting from it.

Lindsey
Lindsey, there is a HUGE gap between "knowledge" and "opinion."

One is verifiable and repeatable. The other is subjective.

Britcouple

Aug 13, 2009
Hi, we are the people the OP was originally referring to who had the 2 pups 'dumped' on them, just to clarify! There are a lot of posts on here referring to how much it costs AAAS if people 'dump' dogs on them and how irresponsible those said people are(just read back!). I agree that some owners may be irresponsible in allowing dogs to breed when they can't afford or want the pups and do try to 'dump' them on such organisations...obviously not good! However, the attitude of some posters who appear to advocate that it is the financial responsibility of the person who finds/tries to help any lost/injured ect pups is ridiculous. Perhaps how big an animal lover you are is directly proportional to how deep your pockets are then?? A totaly unrealistic proposition to many people who can not afford to pay for such help...as has been said before on this post, what should they do, just ignore the problem,leave them to die? Please feel free to come up with solutions for those people!

When we called AAAS and asked them if they would take the puppies in (note...we did not just take them down there and 'dump' them) we were told a categorical NO, they do not take 'dumped' puppies in, we were not asked if we would/could make any donations of U$10, U$100 or U$1000, or anything else, so it would appear cost is not the problem for them, just that they do not take puppies in...full stop! Once again,That being the case could some of the posters on here please put forward solutions for the not so financially secure instead of just saying..it's your problem!

All can rest assured that these 2 puppies will be well cared for, are now happy,well fed, full of life and will stay that way until we can find them homes. They are lucky, we can afford to do that, not all puppies are so lucky,what's your solutions for them?

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Hi, we are the people the OP was originally referring to who had the 2 pups 'dumped' on them, just to clarify! There are a lot of posts on here referring to how much it costs AAAS if people 'dump' dogs on them and how irresponsible those said people are(just read back!). I agree that some owners may be irresponsible in allowing dogs to breed when they can't afford or want the pups and do try to 'dump' them on such organisations...obviously not good! However, the attitude of some posters who appear to advocate that it is the financial responsibility of the person who finds/tries to help any lost/injured ect pups is ridiculous. Perhaps how big an animal lover you are is directly proportional to how deep your pockets are then?? A totaly unrealistic proposition to many people who can not afford to pay for such help...as has been said before on this post, what should they do, just ignore the problem,leave them to die? Please feel free to come up with solutions for those people!

When we called AAAS and asked them if they would take the puppies in (note...we did not just take them down there and 'dump' them) we were told a categorical NO, they do not take 'dumped' puppies in, we were not asked if we would/could make any donations of U$10, U$100 or U$1000, or anything else, so it would appear cost is not the problem for them, just that they do not take puppies in...full stop! Once again,That being the case could some of the posters on here please put forward solutions for the not so financially secure instead of just saying..it's your problem!

All can rest assured that these 2 puppies will be well cared for, are now happy,well fed, full of life and will stay that way until we can find them homes. They are lucky, we can afford to do that, not all puppies are so lucky,what's your solutions for them?

Very good post

SHALENA

BTW, anyone who wants to donate to AAAS, for the love of God, do not hand them $50!
I would suggest $51

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Good.

It's a tough situation here with the many street dogs that are constantly reproducing. I'm not sure there ARE many answers without large costs attached.

But I DO understand folks like AAAS are a big componet of the solution and obviously need hands and money. One thing they don't need is arrogance.

When a dog is "dumped"on you there are only two choices: take responsibility or not. You took responsibility and should be praised for doing so. But responsibility comes with a cost, as you well know.

It's tough to turn away puppies. I know. That's a downside to living here: what do we do about the thousands of street dogs? It's a sad situation.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006

Whoever chose your garden in which to leave these two pups was probably confident that you would indeed care for them in the short term and ensure that they do get passed on to future loving homes. If you refer back to other stories on these forums, the 'dumping' of young pups on obvious ex-pat animal lovers is not such a rare occurrence as any of us would wish.

There have been lots of success stories of both puppies and older dogs whose photos have been placed on DR1 and now have loving permanent homes.

The fact they were left for you to make a decision on their future is quite a compliment.

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
It's my understanding that Judy's/AAAS is FULL to capacity already. That would indicate, at least to me, that they've taken in plenty of dogs already out of compassion even if they don't 'technically' do so. If you've never been there you cannot judge just how much time, effort, and love goes into this place. These people work tirelessly to try to help these animals. If you were 'snubbed', let it go....everybody has a bad day. You can't imagine how much stress is involved in trying to keep this organization going.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
For those who need to find a solution for found dogs, puppies, cats or kitties, you can always contact

ANIMALES EN PELIGRO, ORG. otherwise known as "Animales en Peligro" in Santiago.

A fantastic organisation under the leadership of a very good veterinarian, which hold many activities in order to raise funds for their organisation. Of course you are more then welcome to donate something when you bring a dog in, but you are not expected to.

OK, so you probably have to drive to STI, but then again still cheaper then 50$ and a lot more fun.

Britcouple

Aug 13, 2009
It's my understanding that Judy's/AAAS is FULL to capacity already. That would indicate, at least to me, that they've taken in plenty of dogs already out of compassion even if they don't 'technically' do so. If you've never been there you cannot judge just how much time, effort, and love goes into this place. These people work tirelessly to try to help these animals. If you were 'snubbed', let it go....everybody has a bad day. You can't imagine how much stress is involved in trying to keep this organization going.
1) We have been there.
2) We were not having a go at Judy's/AAAS, just simply stating what they themselves said to us on the phone and therefore do not feel 'snubbed' by anyone, as far as we are concerned a no is a no is a no, not a, I'm sorry we are full at the moment, could you look after them for a few weeks and then try again!

We felt that the puppies may have a better chance of being quickly rehomed at an organization such as Judy's where people may visit actively looking for a dog. As that is not possible, we are taking care of the 'problem' ourselves.
We are not looking for people to be all defensive of Judy's/AAAS but to be more constructive in offering possible solutions to a difficult problem that exists here, not easy I know, but nothing is here....part of the beauty of the place!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Whoever chose your garden in which to leave these two pups was probably confident that you would indeed care for them in the short term and ensure that they do get passed on to future loving homes. If you refer back to other stories on these forums, the 'dumping' of young pups on obvious ex-pat animal lovers is not such a rare occurrence as any of us would wish.

There have been lots of success stories of both puppies and older dogs whose photos have been placed on DR1 and now have loving permanent homes.

The fact they were left for you to make a decision on their future is quite a compliment.

I think the highlighted above might be a 'stretch'.... a leap of faith,...
perhaps it just happened to be a well fenced yard from which the puppies could not escape to follow their rightful owners home

Britcouple

Aug 13, 2009
Well if anyone would like to give an approx 6 week old puppy a loving home, one black,one cream, both females, treated for ticks/fleas and worms, please get in touch, they are very playful and happy :)