jumping mouse - callin' dr1 computer squad

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
dear geeks,
i have a dell laptop and i use external mouse. every time i write anything (be it word or a post on dr1) a cursor seems to be jumping about. can happen every few words or every few lines. usually cursor jumps towards the same letter and continues from then on.
not sure i explain it right... say, in a middle of a word towards a cursor will jump back to a word dell, from one d to another. sometimes it jumps out of the page completely. i write looking at the keys so i will not only note a change after few words.
i tried writing with a laptop mouse pad, the same happens. i lokked at control panel and mouse settings but i cannot see anything that would correspond to this issue.
any suggestions?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I've been having the SAME problem. I also find that sometimes while I'm typing, the whole line becomes highlighted and then gets erased. Very aggravating when it happens.

Looking forward to seeing the answers too!

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Sometimes a little bit of dirt or a piece of lint, hair, etc can cause this in the laser underneath the mouse.......
And, check your batteries......both of them....

B in Santiago

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it's not the mouse. the same happens when i connect miesposo's logitech mouse, the same happens with my laptop mouse pad :(

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Does your laptop seem unusually hot.............
This can also happen if it's overheating because the fan isn't working properly..........

B in Santiago

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I had exactly the same problem - there is a thread on it somewhere. It was because too much electricity was coming into the lap top. We were in a new house and the wiring had been done wrongly - two positives and one negative instead of positive, negative and earth. Is it the same when working on battery?

matilda

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
laptop is cool. it is connecetd and turned on at all times, i hardly ever switch it off.
lemme try battery only, mat, i will let you know.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I do know that my guru told me that laptops need to be turned off every now and then. It allows the systems to adjust.

I agree on the lint on the mouse. Sometimes you need to clean up inside. Or else get a cat!!

Also make sure you do not have a bunch of lint in the air intake for the fan.

Let us know is something we say works..

HB

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I do know that my guru told me that laptops need to be turned off every now and then. It allows the systems to adjust.

I agree on the lint on the mouse. Sometimes you need to clean up inside. Or else get a cat!!

Also make sure you do not have a bunch of lint in the air intake for the fan.

Let us know is something we say works..

HB
The inside of a mouse can get really nasty.

Also: download and install new drivers.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
ok, i tried working on battery only and my hopes rocketed but then bang, the same thing, jumping cursor.
seems to be a bit better thou when the power is on. or maybe on those rare moments when we actually HAVE power i do not write as much :)

miesposo says mouse cannot be properly cleaned, it's an optical mose, whatever that means. he also says it's a generic one so downloading new drivers does not make sense. can anyone confirm it's true? if he said he feeds my mouse cheese every full moon i'd believe it, this is how much i know about computing...

i do not touch mouse pad, i rest my palms i the side of the laptop and only move my fingers.

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
If it's a laptop and you are using an external mouse, try to disable the mouse pad (the flat surface where you put your finger to move the pointer) on the laptop. This happens to almost every single laptop that I know of, especially Dell laptops.

You can also try to download the latest mousepad driver for your laptop and if that doesn't help and you are brave enough, you can disassemble the laptop and blow out the dust and lint on the keyboard.

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
DV8: Have you talked to Marco???? A quick trip over to Sos?a might resolve this really quick...

Jus' thinkin'

HB

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I would recommend disabling the Synaptics touch pad when the mouse is plugged in - see image below. If you don't see this box you will need to update the Synaptics driver from their webpage. If for some reason the latest generic driver won't work you can always roll the driver back. That may be a little complicated for you though.

synapticsettings.png

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Sometimes keyboard and mouse problem can come from bad battery. Can you try without your battery and report back. I remember awhile back I was having major issues with both mouse and keyboard. Replacing battery fixed it right up.

james

Jan 14, 2002
If you are using an external and wireless mouse make sure that there is NOTHING metalic or of aluminum foil between the mouse and the USB receiver for the mouse. This can block part of the signal to the mouse and cause this exact reaction. It has happened many times to me. Remove the object between the receiver and the mouse and problem gone. Could be as small as at foil wrapper from a cookie or other food or even a large calculator made of metal or aluminum. Of course it may be something entirely different but thats my experience with similar problem. Good luck!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i downloaded and disabled a driver for a mouse pad.

now point me to a good thread so i could test it by making a lenghty contribution to a subject at hand :)

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
mine did the same - i had to restore the computer to a previous point in time when it worked properly

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Try disconnecting the touch pad. It might be interfering with the mouse.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
BLESS YOU DR1ERS!
success! as i said i downloaded mouse pad driver and then disabled it. worked a treat! at least so far!
laptop was also restarted (for the download). i did not do any major cleaning but i know i will probably have to change the battery and the keyboard soon.