Junot Diaz...

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Decent writer with entertaining style. Left-wing moon-bat though.

He's talking about being merciful and charitable. There was another "left wing moon-bat" running around Israel about 2,000 years ago who had similar ideas.

Always have been intrigued about how conservatives love to appropriate Jesus' persona, but pretty much ignore most of his teachings.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
In actuality, that is the core difference between running a business and running a country. A government needs to help the little guy and treat them with respect and dignity, regardless of their ability to pay or whatever constitutes the "facts". If our brother is hungry, give him food. Simple.

But the government doesn't have to support illegal aliens, nor honour false papers. If our brother is illegal and hungry, feed him and send him home. By giving to Peter by robbing Paul, what have you solved? If you personally want to give, to so, that is your prerogative. We have different ideas on what a governments responsibilities are.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
He's talking about being merciful and charitable. There was another "left wing moon-bat" running around Israel about 2,000 years ago who had similar ideas.

Always have been intrigued about how conservatives love to appropriate Jesus' persona, but pretty much ignore most of his teachings.

Junot Diaz is the second coming of Jesus, Who knew. How much do you give?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
.....And Bob.

.....And people in Jaracoaba on the first Friday of every month.

:cheeky:

well, Diaz is not qualified to discuss Jarabacoa, because it is not a part of the DR. it is this wondrous place where motoconcho guys read Plato and Aristotle, there are no gold digging women, your friends are unequivocal, not opportunistic, and the unicorn breaks bread with the yeti.

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
We have different ideas on what a governments responsibilities are.

Not so. We agree quite closely on government responsibilities. When we are at war, you allow the government to send others into combat. When your house is on fire or there is an intruder, you grab the phone and call a government entity. You certainly won't be burning your social security checks. No sir, we both believe in government assistance. The difference is you simply want it for yourself and I think of all.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Not so. We agree quite closely on government responsibilities. When we are at war, you allow the government to send others into combat. When your house is on fire or there is an intruder, you grab the phone and call a government entity. You certainly won't be burning your social security checks. No sir, we both believe in government assistance. The difference is you simply want it for yourself and I think of all.

Hardly what I think at all. I guess that's the difference, you feel , without really knowing that because I think Mr Diaz has a false idea of what goes down with illegal Haitians in the DR, that I'm selfish. That's like adding 2 plus 2 and getting 7. It's disconnected from reality. Charity is an individuals responsibility, anybody can spend someone else's money. Government should provide a helping hand to it's citizens, not expect the government of the neighbouring country to do so. The DR does plenty of helping the many illegal Haitians that use it's medical system....etc. There comes a time when the numbers become too great to help and the social problems in the host country are increased too much by the extra mouths to carry for a feed. The governments first responsibility is to IT'S citizens.
Social security is something you pay for- not a gift from government, same a fire service, ambulance service...etc. Al paid for, either with Income tax, fees, or municipal taxes, property taxes, or payroll deductions. None of these are gifts and can all be done by private enterprises.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
This not a referendum on conservative/liberal politics.

The OP's link is about a specific issue regarding Junot Diaz and the Dominican government as it pertains to the Haitian issue.

Keep the comments on-topic.

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
Hardly what I think at all. I guess that's the difference, you feel , without really knowing that because I think Mr Diaz has a false idea of what goes down with illegal Haitians in the DR, that I'm selfish. That's like adding 2 plus 2 and getting 7. It's disconnected from reality. Charity is an individuals responsibility, anybody can spend someone else's money. Government should provide a helping hand to it's citizens, not expect the government of the neighbouring country to do so. The DR does plenty of helping the many illegal Haitians that use it's medical system....etc. There comes a time when the numbers become too great to help and the social problems in the host country are increased too much by the extra mouths to carry for a feed. The governments first responsibility is to IT'S citizens.

You are proving my point. You are calling on charity to supply the things YOU do not need. Every man for himself. The things you need from the government appear quite reasonable to you. I would think it is a much greater assumption to think a government has to be there to protect your home than merely hand out sandwiches. You are the greater burden.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
You are proving my point. You are calling on charity to supply the things YOU do not need. Every man for himself. The things you need from the government appear quite reasonable to you. I would think it is a much greater assumption to think a government has to be there to protect your home than merely hand out sandwiches. You are the greater burden.

I give to charity, to give to others what they don't have. You on the other hand prefer to take other peoples money o give to charity, therefore giving less yourself. You want to generously spend Dominican money to support illegal Aliens when the Dominicans have so little. How big of you. Mr Diaz has not presented a fair and balanced assessment of the issues between Haiti and the DR. He has bought into the argument that the Dominican government is putting Haitians into concentration camps and doing mass deportations of those that are rightly Dominican citizens, and he has done it very loudly. Like everyone, he is permitted an opinion, but you can hardly blame the DR government at getting angry with his SPREADING FALSEHOODS.

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
Juno Diaz is effectively using his bully pulpit to give voice to those not heard. (and wow, you nailed me on selfishly giving other people's money. It's as if you can see into my soul. LOL LOL!!!)

Hector L

Jun 11, 2010
A wonderful world recognized writer and on the side of human rights and fairness. Who could ask for more!!!!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Juno Diaz is effectively using his bully pulpit to give voice to those not heard. (and wow, you nailed me on selfishly giving other people's money. It's as if you can see into my soul. LOL LOL!!!)

NO I SAID GENEROUSLY spending Dominican money. The point is Junot Diaz is not telling the truth.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Junot's statements on this issue may have been simplistic and lacking in nuance, but he has given Dominicans much more to be proud of than the crooked politicians and illiterate bigmouths who are slagging him off.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Junot's statements on this issue may have been simplistic and lacking in nuance, but he has given Dominicans much more to be proud of than the crooked politicians and illiterate bigmouths who are slagging him off.

Don't you think a man of his talents knows how to be objective and nuanced? It would be one thing if he was just criticizing the government but he is actively demanding a boycott that will end up hurting the very people is supposedly is trying to help.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
When Diaz was awarded the 'pullet surpise', Dominicans all over jumped with joy. Now that he has spoken against the treatment of Haitians, lo quieren crucificar.
Es que Lucifer, a ese hombre se le meti? el diablo. T? sabes eso mejor que nadie aqu?. XD

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Don't you think a man of his talents knows how to be objective and nuanced? It would be one thing if he was just criticizing the government but he is actively demanding a boycott that will end up hurting the very people is supposedly is trying to help.
Junot knows what he is doing and people (read most Dominicans) can see that. Its precisely what produces the disgust. The reaction from the Dominicans has nothing to do with the Haitians or the issue surrounding them, it has everything to do with the way Junot has chosen to do his criticisms. That is simply not the way a Dominican should act, even if he is a pro-Haitian.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Junot knows what he is doing and people (read most Dominicans) can see that. Its precisely what produces the disgust. The reaction from the Dominicans has nothing to do with the Haitians or the issue surrounding them, it has everything to do with the way Junot has chosen to do his criticisms. That is simply not the way a Dominican should act, even if he is a pro-Haitian.

I see it in a far more nuanced light.

He left.

He barely speaks Dominican any more.

He's made a big fancy life as a Pulitzer-winner, in Nueva York and at MIT, even if most Dominicans don't know what any of those things are. They probably think Harvard. Close enough. Same side of the Charles. They just know that he got out, and as it looks to them, Fifth Avenue.

IMHO: the DR is a very classist society. Not necessarily racist, although there is that, but name me a society that is not racist, in some way, shape, or form. Skin tone is not really an impediment to advancement. Unless you're Haitian. Or if you want to be on TV: then you'd better be light. In my experience, it is middle-class Dominicans who are the most threatened by the Haitian issue.

When he speaks out, in a way that is different from what most middle-class Dominicans believe, it pi**es them off, bc they are EXQUISITELY class conscious. And if he sounds smarter, or has better media outlets, or his grandfather worked as a gardener at their house back in the day: well. That's just not OK.

By me, he deserves free speech. In the same way that Oswald Mosley did in the 30s. In the same way that MLK did in the 60s. In the same way that Nelson Mandela did in the 70s. We may not agree: but he is entitled to his right to speak---passionately---about the direction his homeland is taking.

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015

I understand your point, but any bridling of a writer is an awful precedent. They are free thinkers and should be introducing new concepts, not towing the party line.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Es que Lucifer, a ese hombre se le meti? el diablo. T? sabes eso mejor que nadie aqu?. XD

Au contraire: Diaz understands the issues.

I only met him briefly, but I came away impressed with his sense of fairness.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Au contraire: Diaz understands the issues.

I only met him briefly, but I came away impressed with his sense of fairness.

Fairness defined like this: society based on fairness, on what people deserve, should compensate people for their bad luck, since they don’t deserve their fate, and such a society should refuse to excessively compensate the fortunate because they don’t deserve their advantages. But Junot will take all the advantages he can.
I have no doubt he understands the issues.