Just out of curiosity, Who are the biggest spenders when here on Holiday?

MOC1

Oct 22, 2002
Cheapy Cheapy's

My experience in the DR (7 years) is it depends on the money the person has.
I have to agree with other comments regarding expats that are here living on a budget....cheap. They also love to let the new people pick up the tab, and snicker about it later. Nationality makes no differerance(sp). Some places are already including tips into the bill so pay attention. This is the norm for most islands so I expect it to happen here also.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
MOC1 said:
I have to agree with other comments regarding expats that are here living on a budget....cheap. They also love to let the new people pick up the tab, and snicker about it later. Nationality makes no differerance(sp).

Most people will agree that there is nothing worse than a cheapskate. It's a reputation that once you get, you just can't shake.

Larry

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Europeans generally dont tip because a service charge is already included in the bill. I am writing from Switzerland right now and last night I paid about 15 dollars per drink so even 10% is 1.50 tip. It amazing how expensive things have become here but at 5 dollars per gallon gasoline, most of it consisting of taxes, one can see how.

In the Bahamas 15% is included bars and restaurants in most major hotels (most of which are not AIs). The service sucks. Many bars and restaurants and their staff try to take advantage of Americans by putting the mandated 'tip' under 'tax' in the bill and leaving the 'tip' category blank, in order to cash in on it twice. the regular tips are divided among the staff while the extra tips they can keep individually.

I am sure this practice would become popular in the DR if a mandated tip is installed.

To get back to the original post, I think you have to distinct between 'good spenders' and 'good tippers' because they can be very different due to tipping practices at home.

I find the English the best spenders but not good tippers, the Americans good spenders and best tippers, Canadians worst spenders and decent tippers, and Germans modest spenders and not good tippers.

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
Right on the nose

Conchman said:
To get back to the original post, I think you have to distinct between 'good spenders' and 'good tippers' because they can be very different due to tipping practices at home.

I find the English the best spenders but not good tippers, the Americans good spenders and best tippers, Canadians worst spenders and decent tippers, and Germans modest spenders and not good tippers.

I couldn't have explained it better myself man !

jerryme

Feb 1, 2004
Why do Europeans think it is so expensive there compared to the US? And I am not talking about exchange rates.c Yes gas is double, but so is the pay. In samll countries I would guess you don't drive an average of 30-50 miles one way to your work. How many gallons of gas a week do you go thru? I go thru about 20. You compare a drink to $15.00. Is your minimum wage
$ 5.50 per hour US? I don't think the low paying Eurpoean works three to four hours to pay for a drink. Europeans also do not average a 40-60 hour work week like we do.

I am not ragging on Europeans. You just have to adjust wages and cost of living. In the US it may cost twice as much at McDonalds for a big mac in Alaska, but the employees earn twice as much as the rest of the country. I think it just about evens out with how much you make and what stuff costs everywhere in the world.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Castellamonte said:
I believe the bill has already passed! The focus seems to be main tourism businesses so I don't know what the 'trickle down' effect will be on other businesses. If I can locate the bill information I'll post it.

For as long as I can remember, there has been a 10% obligatory service charge on restaurant bills. In addition to that, Dominicans customarily will tip 10%. So, 16% ITBIS + 10% service charge + 10% tip is the usual. The last 10% tip is up to the patron.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Miguel: I agree with you about Dominicans tipping. It depends a lot on the person's economical status and it's like there's no in between. Dominicans either tip way too much (mostly to show off or if there's a girl they like serving them) or none at all. Generally in The DR waiters expect about 10% tips. I've gotten used to tipping 20% or more here in The US and I pretty much do the same in The DR. I tip everywhere I go (bars, barber, Chimichurry stand, shoe shiners, etc)...my friends think I'm crazy, but I see it like some other people have mentioned here...How much is 50, 100 or 200 pesos? Not much in the grand scheme of things...and...guess what if you ever go back to a place where you've tipped good in the past you're going to get excellent service next time.
For instance, there's a bar in my hometown that I like a lot. First time I went there I spent about 3000 pesos and left a hefty tip. Now they "know" me and every time I go there I receive VIP treatment. Let's say the bar is full and there's a line outside to get in...it is not full for me. I always get a table or at least a place at the bar. My drinks are served in better glasses than other people and if there's something I want they will go get it if they don't have it.
So people, tip good eveywhere you go an you'll see the level of service become excellent all of sudden.

pi?acolada

Mar 9, 2005
About tips

"I also find that Dominicans rarely tip. I always tip and when I have been served at a bar/restaurant in towns where tourists rarely go, the Dominicans serving you almost look at you in shock when you leave a tip because most Dominicans do not (in my experience)"

Dominicans probably don't tips in cafeterias or fondas, but they do in restaurants even though they know there's already a 10% charge in the bill.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
suarezn said:
Miguel: I agree with you about Dominicans tipping. It depends a lot on the person's economical status and it's like there's no in between. Dominicans either tip way too much (mostly to show off or if there's a girl they like serving them).
Man, you just made me remember an episode where a friend of mine called me while I was in the DR and he asked me to go pick him up at the JetSet restaurant. I told him to take a taxi since I was visiting my brother. He told me "mira, I took this girl out and after paying the bill and the big tip, I was left with 4 pesos". I asked him why he left such a big tip and all he said was "que pasa macho, I have to impress her". What a moron!.

When I am in the DR, I try to be the same that I am here in the US. I mingle will all and their "brothers" since I consider myself a man of "many seasons", if you know what I mean. Not better nor worse than anybody. I (note: I) tend to tip, also, according on how "good" the place made me feel. There a some places, even if it's a fritura stand that if the make feel good, the "got" me, big time.

On one outing while in the DR, after a few drinks and giving JAN a lap dance at a disco, I was taken to Jimmy's chimichurry stand and all I will say is that I tip Jimmy 3 times more than I would tip any "high class" restaurant. Why?, because the chimis are out of this fricking world and he just makes you feel like a king. I went once "de paso' and ended up staying for about 3 hours just listening to his stories "from way back".

Who is the biggest tipper in the DR?, whomever can afford it!. Keep in mind that many want to tip but can not!.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Dolores said:
For as long as I can remember, there has been a 10% obligatory service charge on restaurant bills. In addition to that, Dominicans customarily will tip 10%. So, 16% ITBIS + 10% service charge + 10% tip is the usual. The last 10% tip is up to the patron.
I think the 10% I am mentioning is more the law as opposed to the policy of the restaurant or hotel. To my knowledge, prior to this law, the 16% ITBIS was the only mandated additional charge.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Fiesta Mama said:
Having worked in the service industry (off an AI) in the DR, my experience with foreigners visiting the DR was as follows:

Canadians and Americans tipped the best - with Americans tipping slightly higher.

Europeans rarely tipped and people from England NEVER tipped (this was not due to service as I know it was good - I was simply told that in England generally people don't tip but rather buy someone serving them a beer, shot, etc. - don't know if this is true)! I was told to add 10% to the bill for repeat customers who did not tip but I couldn't bring myself to do it, however, I found it extremely rude.

I also find that Dominicans rarely tip. I always tip and when I have been served at a bar/restaurant in towns where tourists rarely go, the Dominicans serving you almost look at you in shock when you leave a tip because most Dominicans do not (in my experience).

I find it unbelievably ignorant of travellers who would never think of walking out of a bar/restaurant in their home countries (well in Canada and the U.S.), to do so when on vacation.
Dominicans don't tip?
maybe all that depends in the area that you are in.
I don't think you would ever see a sankie tipping.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Originally Posted by Fiesta Mama
I also find that Dominicans rarely tip. I always tip and when I have been served at a bar/restaurant in towns where tourists rarely go, the Dominicans serving you almost look at you in shock when you leave a tip because most Dominicans do not (in my experience).

Fiestamama, please don't even write about how dominicans tip or live. Aren't you the one who was involved with some cheap sankie from montellano? You came here and lived a few weeks in montellano and now you have become an expert on dominican republic? Sorry but montellano doesn't count as living in domincian republic. Almost everyone there is dirt poor, hotel workers, motoconchos, putas and sugarcane cutters. No decent domincian would be proud to live in montellano. So don't group all dominicans as domincians from montellano.
AZB

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
But!

AZB said:

Fiestamama, please don't even write about how dominicans tip or live. Aren't you the one who was involved with some cheap sankie from montellano? You came here and lived a few weeks in montellano and now you have become an expert on dominican republic? Sorry but montellano doesn't count as living in domincian republic. Almost everyone there is dirt poor, hotel workers, motoconchos, putas and sugarcane cutters. No decent domincian would be proud to live in montellano. So don't group all dominicans as domincians from montellano.
AZB
But, Mr AZB, you are wrong, she STAYED there for a few weeks BUT did not lived there when she moved to the DR and I am more than sure that if she did, she would have gone to other places outside the town.

Come on bro, give her a break!!

Ps: some tourists are big tippers, some are not. Some dominicans are good tippers, most are not. Sometimes we, they, them, us tip big, sometimes no. Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't..........

Last edited:

Justintime

Aug 18, 2004
AZB said...

AZB said - "Sorry but montellano doesn't count as living in domincian republic."

Where...pray tell, is it that they are living, then? ;)

And...if we shipped everyone off who aren't 'decent' Dominicans, according to AZB's philosophy, how many Dominicans would be left?

Just wondering :nervous:

Last edited:

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
:tired:
AZB said:

AZB

Well buddy you aren't as bright as you think you are nor can you read very well - I did say I worked in the service industry when I LIVED THERE. Yes I was with a sankie from Montellano (when I had travelled to the DR in the past) BUT as Miguel stated (thanks for that Miguel) I just returned from living in the DR for 4 1/2 months and wow wouldn't you be surprised to know that I somehow managed to make it to other areas of the island such as Bavaro, Punta Cana, Higuey, La Capital, Rio San Juan, Cofresi, Jamao, Jarabacoa, Puerto Plata, and oh how could I forget SANTIAGO, among other smaller little towns that aren't worth my time mentioning to someone like you who does not consider those from places such as Montellano "real" Dominicans!! I met rich Dominicans, poor Dominicans and some that might even consider you as a friend and MY experience was as I stated above but I am sure there are many Domininicans who tip very well. I would suggest next time you want to slam someone (and I am still trying to figure out why you wanted to slam me when I am entiteld to contribute my 2 cents to a very interesting post), you get your facts straight first.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Fiesta Mama said:
:tired:

Well buddy you aren't as bright as you think you are nor can you read very well - I did say I worked in the service industry when I LIVED THERE. Yes I was with a sankie from Montellano (when I had travelled to the DR in the past) BUT as Miguel stated (thanks for that Miguel) I just returned from living in the DR for 4 1/2 months and wow wouldn't you be surprised to know that I somehow managed to make it to other areas of the island such as Bavaro, Punta Cana, Higuey, La Capital, Rio San Juan, Cofresi, Jamao, Jarabacoa, Puerto Plata, and oh how could I forget SANTIAGO, among other smaller little towns that aren't worth my time mentioning to someone like you who does not consider those from places such as Montellano "real" Dominicans!! I met rich Dominicans, poor Dominicans and some that might even consider you as a friend and MY experience was as I stated above but I am sure there are many Domininicans who tip very well. I would suggest next time you want to slam someone (and I am still trying to figure out why you wanted to slam me when I am entiteld to contribute my 2 cents to a very interesting post), you get your facts straight first.
Driving through towns doesn't count as living in one. Yes, I have also driven through azua but do i know a thing about azua? You have been living in sosua for sometime and I know people who know you. You have been seen socializing with domincians that would be considered 100% sankies and lambones. You might have traveled around this island, but you always seem to end up in resort sankie towns. You still haven't learned your lesson yet.

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
AZB said:
Driving through towns doesn't count as living in one. Yes, I have also driven through azua but do i know a thing about azua? You have been living in sosua for sometime and I know people who know you. You have been seen socializing with domincians that would be considered 100% sankies and lambones. You might have traveled around this island, but you always seem to end up in resort sankie towns. You still haven't learned your lesson yet.

AZB please, I was giving my experience of what I witnessed when I lived there and when I have travelled there with regards to TIPPING. I don't think the original poster asked for only the experience of those that have lived in the DR for "x" amount of years and I believe he/she was asking for general tipping experiences from all walks of life of those who have "worked" in the DR. I did work in the service industry when I lived there and have first-hand knowledge of how people tip as I was serving them! I do apologize to the original poster for AZB's comments as I'm sure most people are not interested in how I spend my time or with whom in the DR, not to mention that it's no one's business. Carry on.

Last edited:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Come on Aftab, ease up. Everyone is entilted to express their experiences. My God is there no letting go and forgivess for past mistakes?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
AZB - Your sounding like a broken record, it's getting very boring, almost pathetic. :tired:

Give it a rest, do yourself a favor and avoid the sankie and "real" Dominican threads for a while, or when you have something useful to contribute to them.

Maybe I should let Fiesta Mama moderate your posts for a while? :)

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
AZB said:
Or maybe you are trying to say that I should stop posting and let these foreigners poke fun at all domincians?
I think you know me better than that?

Actually, it's you that's having digs at Dominicans.

Sorry but montellano doesn't count as living in domincian republic. Almost everyone there is dirt poor, hotel workers, motoconchos, putas and sugarcane cutters
You have been seen socializing with domincians that would be considered 100% sankies and lambones.
Whatever they are, they will always be more Dominican than you :)

Last edited: