Killings and crimes perped by cops - Where is this country heading?

May 12, 2005
They really need to implement a civil service system for the PN. Also have strict standards and background checks for all new hires. The PN really needs to be a functioning well oiled machine separated from the everyday politics of government.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
It is.

donP
Agreed.

I'll say once again: the military in the DR...and that includes all forms of police...are the REAL power here. Not the politicians. Not the people. Not the press. The military.

They just have no real need to flex their muscles until necessary...and then there's no here one to stop them, period.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Quite wild estimates, possibly 450,000 people own guns, registered guns 178,000, so the number of registered guns per 100 people is 1.94.
so more or less for every 1 guns that is registered, there are 2 that aren't, sounds about right.

Gun homocides, is high? About 29 people per week killed by guns.

2010: 1,6187
2009: 1,651
2008: 1,797
2006: 1,16410
2005: 1,543

I still stick my guns ( pun intended) that not a lot of people wander the streets with guns, in home guns is a little different I think.

Are these numbers high or low?

I find it hard to believe that 5 out of every 100 people own a gun. I wonder where they get their info if only 178,000 are registered.

easier to believe that 2 out of a 100 own two guns.. they are like guitars

by that i mean that i have never met a man who played guitar who had just one guitar

young seniors

Bronze
Feb 1, 2012
I agree 100%. What I always say is even if the Government can't "afford" to give these guys a decent salary make it up different ways:
1) full medical and dental insurance paid for them and there family
2) life insirance
3) low interest loans for housing
4) early retirement

If you look at what NYC cops make, I believe it is $29K per year to start. That is **** money. However, a NYC cop can retire after 20 years of service.
A

Like your idea, but they probably will never do because of $$ again. Too bad, because I do agree that it would probably cut down on crime, and education is a key factor,good training programs....dreaming I guess.

Im surprised to hear what NYC cops starting salary is. Thats criminal in itself. Here, I believe starting salary is 65k with full benefits of course. Not sure anymore what retirement age is.

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
Same as the next guy

The police in DR are no different than your average Dominican citizen.They too,had a rough childhood,probably growing up on a barrio with three hours of electricity a day and five of running water.A mediocre education,absorbed into Dominican society,that encourages begging rather than working,encourages to give up school,first of all you can't afford it,and secondly,you have to know somebody to get a job(who do you know? you come from a barrio)encouraged to seat at the colmado all day long and count the cars that go by.You see in short,the police are just like your average citizen,A VICTIM OF DOMINICAN SOCIETY.