Kind of drinks has a status simbol?

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
Definately reposado is the way to go. None of that cuervo stuff either. Had to look up what moxie is, guess you're from New England. hehe.

Mar 2, 2008
I concur regarding the Cuervo, and there are many fine reposados available to choose from, even in New England;)

However, in some bars, at some times, Cuervo is the only brand of tequila offered, and I'm not above partaking occasionally. It is not a question of status or concern for social approval. It really is about personal preference, availability, and compromise.

Same goes for Moxie.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
again !!!! drink what you want- why do people let them tell them what they should like

If he was asking, is because maybe he is sensitive to what others think or may think, this is like when tourist wants to walk Santo Domingo in shorts, although he may feel more comfortable in shorts, it is not the norm and would be singled out in the streets. The same with the drinks in a club. If he wants to drink Brugal Carta Dorada, fine but ask for a drink so nobody would know what he is drinking, not the bottle.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Blue Label and coke. Shows that you have money, but don't really care about what you're getting - just so long as its expensive.

That is just butchery at it's worst. If I see that happening in front of me I would have to leave the place so I won't witness such crime.

I have some friends who love to drink the black label with 7-Up. Ugh:ermm:

May 12, 2005
That is just butchery at it's worst. If I see that happening in front of me I would have to leave the place so I won't witness such crime.

I have some friends who love to drink the black label with 7-Up. Ugh:ermm:

I like my black label with a splash of 7 UP. However the Blue and Gold should be drank neat and neat only. Mixing the Blue with anything should be a mortal sin.

jmiranda31

Jun 25, 2009
I asked because at one time i bought a bottle of Black Label with a few friends in a club and quite a lot of people at the club where starring at me
without blinking an eye. I started to feel paranoid:paranoid: and really didnt enjoy the black label .. I felt like a new exotic animal at the circus that everybody go to see. then on top of that my taxi driver told me if I wanted to avoid to be a target of any criminal after living the club because thinks i have money order beer. I am not a beer guy, i want my black label an the US constitution sat so!!!!ji ji:laugh:

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
As long as you don't wear a t-shirt with your DR1 screen name like you are some sort of a SUPER HERO when you fly home on jetBlue, you won't attract attention drinking JW Black!

;)

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
What about beer?

I haven't been to a really swanky place, but at a regular place (not all "discos" are that classy) it seems like people drink things like Miller, Smirnoff, Benedicta, vodka and cranberry juice to be fancier. Don't hate, that's me in the corner sippin' on a Benedicta! Drink whatever you want, just leave the jug of cleren and the mamajuana at home.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
methinks I wouldnt want to be friends with anyone that judges you by what you drink lol- mind you I do draw the line and meths and floor cleaner

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
methinks I wouldnt want to be friends with anyone that judges you by what you drink lol- mind you I do draw the line and meths and floor cleaner

Nobody goes to the club looking for anything substantive. You may walk in with lifelong friends, but odds are you won't make any new ones while you're there.

People are trying to distinguish themselves in the quickest, and most superficial way possible. The easiest way to accomplish that in a club is through clothes, cars, cribs (meaning housing), and cash.

And let's face it, there are some who believe that their stock will go up, they'll live like a rock star, or that little Shakira lookalike in the corner will be intrigued by them just because they order an expensive drink.

Ok, Ok, yeah sure, I'd buy li'l Shakira a goose 'n juice. Ya got me...:glasses:

DRob

Tampa1

Jul 1, 2009
It doesn't matter what you drink. Being a Man I drink whatever I damn well please.

wilywes

Feb 4, 2008
i have to say... of all the threads i've read on this forum over the 2 years i've been a member, this by far is the dumbest. I dont want to be rude, but c'mon. Your travelling/Living in a 3rd world country and your going to be worried about status symbols. People in this country are dying daily due to flooding, insufficient food supplies, sickness,pestilence and your concerned about what you choice of beverage says about you as a person!!!??? That fact you even ask that question says enough about you as a person I would say.

Here is my advice, drink brahma. It's the cheapest. Then with the money you've saved on drinks, help out some of the unfortunate people who actually have real problems on their hands. Then your status would be of a caring individual.

May 31, 2005
I usually drink vodka with tonic water. Because I like it and not because of a status symbol. What is up with that? who cares what you drink?

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
i have to say... of all the threads i've read on this forum over the 2 years i've been a member, this by far is the dumbest. I dont want to be rude, but c'mon. Your travelling/Living in a 3rd world country and your going to be worried about status symbols. People in this country are dying daily due to flooding, insufficient food supplies, sickness,pestilence and your concerned about what you choice of beverage says about you as a person!!!??? That fact you even ask that question says enough about you as a person I would say.

Here is my advice, drink brahma. It's the cheapest. Then with the money you've saved on drinks, help out some of the unfortunate people who actually have real problems on their hands. Then your status would be of a caring individual.

Well said!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago

An over exaggeration to say the least. Good grief I'm constantly surprised at the level of ignorance that many in the West have of the DR. Like no one is going hungry in the States (or worse crazy) or dying from floods or tornadoes.

At least here you can sleep at night knowing nobody here is going to come into your house and not rob you of your children.

wilywes

Feb 4, 2008
An over exaggeration to say the least. Good grief I'm constantly surprised at the level of ignorance that many in the West have of the DR. Like no one is going hungry in the States (or worse crazy) or dying from floods or tornadoes.

At least here you can sleep at night knowing nobody here is going to come into your house and not rob you of your children.

For your information I live in the DR. I work everyday with people in need. I have seen children die because of the parents not being able to afford a 100RD prescription. Don't tell me it does not happen or an over exaggeration when it is factual.

Secondly, I never said those things don't happen in the USA. They do, but often it is for different reasons.

Thirdly,none of this diminishes the fact that the original question asked is says a lot about the person asking the question. ''Out of the mouth comes the desires of the Heart".

Fourthly, I never attacked the DR. I love it here. It is safer than many large US cities, I agree. Once again however, this does not have anything to do with the fact that people are dealing with real problems in life while others wonder what there choice of beverage says about them. !Que Bruto!