Kind of drinks has a status simbol?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
For your information I live in the DR. I work everyday with people in need. I have seen children die because of the parents not being able to afford a 100RD prescription. Don't tell me it does not happen or an over exaggeration when it is factual.

Secondly, I never said those things don't happen in the USA. They do, but often it is for different reasons.

Thirdly,none of this diminishes the fact that the original question asked is says a lot about the person asking the question. ''Out of the mouth comes the desires of the Heart".

Fourthly, I never attacked the DR. I love it here. It is safer than many large US cities, I agree. Once again however, this does not have anything to do with the fact that people are dealing with real problems in life while others wonder what there choice of beverage says about them. !Que Bruto!

Thanks for the clarification. I would work on your Spanish though, calling someone to their face bruto is like calling them a dumbass, of course if that was your intent...

wilywes

Feb 4, 2008
Thanks for the clarification. I would work on your Spanish though, calling someone to their face bruto is like calling them a dumbass, of course if that was your intent...

I did not call someone bruto I said !Que bruto! meaning That's stupid! or how gross if you will.;)

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
For your information I live in the DR. I work everyday with people in need. I have seen children die because of the parents not being able to afford a 100RD prescription. Don't tell me it does not happen or an over exaggeration when it is factual.

Secondly, I never said those things don't happen in the USA. They do, but often it is for different reasons.

Thirdly,none of this diminishes the fact that the original question asked is says a lot about the person asking the question. ''Out of the mouth comes the desires of the Heart".

Fourthly, I never attacked the DR. I love it here. It is safer than many large US cities, I agree. Once again however, this does not have anything to do with the fact that people are dealing with real problems in life while others wonder what there choice of beverage says about them. !Que Bruto!

I also live in the DR and "work everyday with people in need". You ARE exaggerating. People DO NOT DIE EVERY DAY from flooding.

People have the right to ask whatever they want on here about the DR. Why are you criticizing, and even insulting? Why not do the same to people asking about building fancy houses or buying an inversor? Or wanting to eat pizza? With that logic, they are selfish @ssholes who should just eat la bandera and guineos and live without electricity half the time.

People also have the right to spend their money on what they want without feeling guilty, especially when it's in reason. Is it really a huge excess if a foreigner wants to drink a vodka/cranberry? If you know anything about the extent of corruption in this country, you should come to the conclusion that it is not. BTW, the U.S. has the greatest income disparity so you should probably be focusing on calling anyone earning too much money and wasting it there bruto too. What about all those tourists who come here and pay $5 for a pina colada? Should they just give the $5 to the vendor and walk off? No. That's called a HANDOUT.

Folks who like fancy drinks on occasion are not selfish just because they don't want to give their money away instead of enjoy something in life. You don't know what other more effective things they do than that to help people. They are living their life here, not as missionaries or volunteers dedicated primarily to making sacrifices to help others, and have the right to spend their money how they want.

I hope you only drink Keystone or Pabst Blue Ribbon in the U.S. or you are a hipocrite. :rolleyes:

crm

May 5, 2004
wilywes

In Santo Domingo and Santiago image is everything. It is a legitimate question especially if someone is doing business here or is trying to break into real Dominican society.
I am shocked that you would have internet access available when you could have saved so many children's lives with medicine using the 2500 a month that goes to your internet bill.

wilywes

Feb 4, 2008
I also live in the DR and "work everyday with people in need". You ARE exaggerating. People DO NOT DIE EVERY DAY from flooding.

People have the right to ask whatever they want on here about the DR. Why are you criticizing, and even insulting? Why not do the same to people asking about building fancy houses or buying an inversor? Or wanting to eat pizza? With that logic, they are selfish @ssholes who should just eat la bandera and guineos and live without electricity half the time.

People also have the right to spend their money on what they want without feeling guilty, especially when it's in reason. Is it really a huge excess if a foreigner wants to drink a vodka/cranberry? If you know anything about the extent of corruption in this country, you should come to the conclusion that it is not. BTW, the U.S. has the greatest income disparity so you should probably be focusing on calling anyone earning too much money and wasting it there bruto too. What about all those tourists who come here and pay $5 for a pina colada? Should they just give the $5 to the vendor and walk off? No. That's called a HANDOUT.

Folks who like fancy drinks on occasion are not selfish just because they don't want to give their money away instead of enjoy something in life. You don't know what other more effective things they do than that to help people. They are living their life here, not as missionaries or volunteers dedicated primarily to making sacrifices to help others, and have the right to spend their money how they want.

I hope you only drink Keystone or Pabst Blue Ribbon in the U.S. or you are a hipocrite. :rolleyes:

You are completely missing the point of my statements. I agree, enjoy life. The original question was not what drink should I enjoy. It had to do with status symbols. Who cares about status symbols. Who cares what your drink of choice says about you. Enjoy life, live in moderation, help others and your status will take care of itself. This is the point.

If we worried less about ourselves and a little more about others the world would not be in the state it is today.

P.S your right! People don't die everyday from flooding. Only on days when it rains. lol. (you know what I meant and you took it out of context)

jmiranda31

Jun 25, 2009
I am glad to see people in this forum that see the big picture instead of making a big issue of the small stuff. I am actually in the process to open a company in Santo Domingo that will provide jobs and that once in a while I get a fancy drink maybe for businees or pleasure purposes don't make me a undesirable person.

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
Copy that, wilywes, totally agree, thanks for clearing it up.

However, the reality is like crm mentioned, whether we like it or not.

Too bad we can't all run around wearing those "No Problem" tropical shirts and drink pina coladas out of pineapples...haha.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I for one can't even remember if I ever had one of them specialty drinks. Probably because ever bar I've ever gone too has the music so loud I can't hear anything so I never return. That's ok though, I prefer drink at my house, presidente light, rum and vodka, not necessarily in that order. :)

wilywes

Feb 4, 2008
i suppose I am fortunate in that my favorite drinks (beer & rum) are less expensive here than back home.:glasses: