Kitchen/Plumbing Warning !!

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
I have hooked up hundreds of K Sinks(lic.plumber in the northeast US) and can tell you pvc sched. 40 is fine as long as it's cleaned before it's glued, you should only have two comp. fittings one on each end of the ks tailpiece ,and install a C.O. after the trap .

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
i do not know what the pipes at home are made of. those immediately under the sink look kinda like white plastic. ma never melted or damaged them so they must be better quality or better workmanship than here, who knows. but then the pipes have constant contact with hot water anyway because my mom washes the dishes in hot hot hot water. i have not seen a kitchen in DR yet with properly hot water.

and what am i supposed to do if not flush the hot water down the drain? run with the pot to the bathroom? i cannot be good to empty a pot of pasta over the loo. put a larger pot or bowl inside the sink to catch that hot water? ain't nobody got time for that.

just run the cold tap at the same time..... easy peasy

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
in Philadelphia, the plumber insisted on replacing it w/ metal... copper, I think.... the way it is described elsewhere here.

In Cabrera, who knows? they just fix it until next time.

Aug 6, 2006
The word cola also means "glue" in Spanish, as well as "tail" and well, cola.

If you go to a colmado and ask for a King Kola, though, they ask you "?De qu? sabor?", though.

To stick plastic pipe together, you need first the purple solvent and then the clear glue and do not forget to twist. Then it will not come apart.

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
Schedule 40 is for a main sewer or vent line. The sanitary pipes are the pipes that connect to the trap or in come cases to the trap and from the trap into the main sewer line. The cheap stuff that comes with a sink or that you buy for replacement in the dollar store or the ferreteria is about sched 3.
Buy once cry once.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Mr. AE is always buying copper and brass fittings at US flea markets. When I'm packing a tanque or box, he tosses them into the small spaces and inside other things. In DR, he has an old suitcase filled with all of them, that he keeps in the garage. Same thing with toilet tank parts, he always complains about the quality or the unavailability of plumbing parts in DR. He's a big believer in having something you "might need" [it sometimes drives me nuts, but when something breaks/goes wrong and he digs through his treasure trove and comes up with the right part it's great, so I've learned to keep my mouth shut]. Same thing with electrical stuff. I've never thrown out a broken appliance without him salvaging the cord and plug, haha.

Aug 6, 2006
You definitely want the trap to the sink to be removable, so don't glue that together. Dollar store Chinese made sink traps are a poor choice, in my opinion. They will be sold in a bubble pack so you cannot see that they are made from really lightweight stuff. Heavy plastic or much better, chrome plated brass would be best.

redfish46

Dec 17, 2007
Use a water hose with a nozzle wrap with rag to fit drain cover the other one and turn on high end of everything pipes will be clean

Aug 6, 2006
What is it that you know, monfongo?

Redfish seems to have discovered a miraculous cure, but it is not clear what he is telling us.

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
many hours in class and yrs. as an apprentice an my own company ,I've done residential,comercial ,and industrial , what o you know, besides shyte . I don't post unless I have a pretty good idea about what I'm talking about ,In other words I know what I don't know, how about you ?

Aug 6, 2006
My sister's house in Missouri was unheated for a while and the pipes froze. So I spent a month repairing everything: installing the water heater, adding an electrical heater to the pipes, and a LOT of time slithering around in a three foot crawl space under the house. That was in 2005, and only last month did one of the pipes give out. My sister is pretty much deaf and could not hear the water running. But this time it was not due to a freeze. I learned how to replace old steel and zinc pipes with plastic, how to thread pipes, and how to install and/or flush out all the faucets. Every one of them was somehow full of grit and leaked.

I have also replaced a lot of plumbing in my house here in Miami, which was built in 1947. I have lived here since 1977.

I do not believe I have given anyone bad advice so far, but perhaps you could let me know. I am so far only a novice plumber, and perhaps constructive criticism could be helpful.

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
many hours in class and yrs. as an apprentice an my own company ,I've done residential,comercial ,and industrial , what o you know, besides shyte . I don't post unless I have a pretty good idea about what I'm talking about ,In other words I know what I don't know, how about you ?

So what exactly was said here that doesnt hold water?

Aug 6, 2006
I appears that monfongo is reluctant to tell us why we amateurs do not know shyte about plumbing. Perhaps he does not wish to reveal the tricks of such an arcane trade to the non illuminati of the plumbing trade.

May 29, 2006
Some handy gizmos to know in plumbing and their nicknames:

Wonder weenie:
31MU6Sm%2BScL._SY300_.jpg

Unblocks drain lines. Can save a trip from the Roto router guy. Makes a goofy noise when it's working.

FERNCO:
attachment.php

Used mostly for repairing PVC piping. Many shapes and sizes. Other brands, but FERNCO is the most common term

Easy Hooker:
Easy-hooker.jpg

Used to hook up water for sinks and toilets. This used to be a real hassle to do with the old flare or compression fittings.

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
Peter the fernco has worked well for me on drains. There is another similar product for pressurized water.

My recent use for that was to repair the incoming water pipe that I punctured while digging a flower bed. Water shot up 15 feet until I found the shutoff. Even then it dribbled water and created a muddy mess. So, I used the repair part to join the two pipes while water was flowing all while laying on my stomach in the mud.

The part I used was made of PVC with two compressions like fittings on the ends. No glue and they can be fastened while under water.

Aug 6, 2006
Faucets can be confusing for plumbers in Spanish Speaking countries. They often have C and H on the handles, for Cold and Hot. In Spanish, they are expected to be labeled F and C for Frio and Caliente. Sometimes you can go with the hot on the left, cold on the right, other times C is Caliente and H ends up being Frio by default.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
That's backwards. Hot on the left, cold on the right. Haven't you been paying attention?????:D

Not at my DR house, lol. When they hooked up the on-demand hot water heater [through the wall from outside] they ran the pipe to the pipe on their left, which is on the right inside. SMH. Amazing how fast your brain can adapt to something like that though, but I have to remember to tell each guest.