La Sirena Opening in Sosua -Confirmed. List of Items You Want To Buy

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Are you tryn to buy the pot??

LOL. Which? SKY was the one that insulted me years ago,,, and said in his response to my warning post 4 years ago year about FTA was finished,,, "please members sell your Receivers and Sat Dishes". He said I was wrong about that too.............

Robert does NOT have time, nor is he interested in holding any bets on such a trivial matter.

Thanks,,,,,, As far as him buying the pot goes, well obviously, he knows more that anyone about everything..... as usual. Including when I posted about important things about changes in the Residency Laws a couple of years ago

Thanks for the laugh rice&beans... better still lets "hack" his account with Eddy

Ah reminds me of the Eagle song " California Dreaming"

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
well, la sirena has small stores too. cabarete/sosua cannot support large store like the one in POP and familia ramos does not do bad investments.
and since we are on this subject a little bird told me that plaza lama purchased land in POP, allegedly. i can't see room for another supermarket in the city, thou...

Wise words and you are astute, they did consider that, and they may decide they would start start "small" between the size of Santiago store and POP, I did ask that very same question...we will just have to wait and see, and I am not going to disclose their response.
However I have a feeling that maybe they will think about adding "certain things" to compete with Walmarts' interests, as the DR is a growing and "untapped" viable interesting possibilty to many US companies, apart from the capital here,,, where else have the group to look at now to spend all the money they raised,,,, now Vargos lost his bid to be the next President?

All I can post is my own opinion,,,,,Ramos group have bought enough land this time close to Sosua, to allow for expansion,,they have learnt from their mistakes in the rush to buy such a small "plot" in POP. I would not be surprised if they started the "Sosua" branch of La Sirena , to include a petrol/gas station,,,, thus maybe a small convenience store/gas station as you suggest.

Both residency and business applications for investments here have increased a lot over the last year, despite the complaints of corruption, as have been reported.

The biggest investors are now the Russians..... clean money eh?

Gawd help us all....................

My next post will hopefully encourage any new posters,, or/and either the good knowledgeable experienced Mods on here, or Roberts decision, on what to do, about those that have hijacked this thread
This thread about the new La Sirena, is so important, because I am sick and tired of the high prices that Playero charges, that have increased so much over the last months, because they know the same department/budget Inspectors are so busy in promotions for the Presidential Elections, that they dont have time to control the prices in any supermarket

Thank you dv8!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
LOL. Which? SKY was the one that insulted me years ago,,, and said in his response to my warning post 4 years ago year about FTA was finished,,, "please members sell your Receivers and Sat Dishes". He said I was wrong about that too.............

There are many people who are very happy that they did not sell their satellite dishes and receivers.

As for La Sirena, you mentioned that that store would be between the sizes of the ones in POP and Santiago?
That would still make it the largest store anywhere east of Puerto Plata. Is that correct?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
There are many people who are very happy that they did not sell their satellite dishes and receivers.

As for La Sirena, you mentioned that that store would be between the sizes of the ones in POP and Santiago?
That would still make it the largest store anywhere east of Puerto Plata. Is that correct?

There is as much chance of this happening by Jan.1 as there is that Ladybird could fly to the moon.

matt OTG

Feb 17, 2012
not UK items, but items id definitely like to see (and purchase):

nutiva organic coconut oil
non-fluoridated salt
organic cold pressed extra virgin olive oil
braggs organic apple cider vinegar
organic turmeric powder

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
well, la sirena has small stores too. cabarete/sosua cannot support large store like the one in POP and familia ramos does not do bad investments.
and since we are on this subject a little bird told me that plaza lama purchased land in POP, allegedly. i can't see room for another supermarket in the city, thou...
There's plenty of room.

Now, speaking of small stores and if I remember correctly, you own or administer a colmado, right?

Let me give you part of the inside scoop of what's coming your way. There's a new business model that will have a presence nationwide, becoming a national chain. Its direct competitors will be the colmados and I'm almost certain the colmados will be greatly reduced, if not eliminated, given the obsolete and highly inefficient way colmados operate.

The new chain will target lower middle class and poor neighborhoods (which usually tend to be the same), will offer a modern and, for the DR, fresh appearance. Extremely efficient in operations, lower prices and greater variety of products than the colmados currently offer, a guarantee of better freshness due to proper handling of food compared to what is currently common in colmados, greater convenience, comfort and security. Also, more employment opportunities with benefits, better working conditions, and higher wages than colmado owners, on average, currently are able to offer to themselves and, where applicable, their employees.

Soon enough you will know of what I'm talking about.

Give people a better shopping experience and they will chose you over the traditional outlets. As happened to the Puerto Rican colmados, Dominican colmados are, for the most part, on their last years.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
There's plenty of room.

Now, speaking of small stores and if I remember correctly, you own or administer a colmado, right?

Let me give you part of the inside scoop of what's coming your way. There's a new business model that will be expanded nationwide, becoming a national chain. Its direct competitors will be the colmados and I'm almost certain the colmados will be greatly reduced, if not eliminated, given the obsolete and highly inefficient way colmados operate.

The new chain will target lower middle class and poor neighborhoods (which usually tend to be the same), will offer a modern and, for the DR, fresh appearance. Extremely efficient in operations, lower prices and greater variety of products than the colmados currently offer, a guarantee of better freshness due to proper handling of food compared to what is currently common in colmados, greater convenience, comfort and security. Also, more employment opportunities with benefits, better working conditions, and higher wages than colmado owners, on average, currently are able to offer to themselves and, where applicable, their employees.

Soon enough you will know of what I'm talking about.

Give people a better shopping experience and they will chose you over the traditional outlets. As happened to the Puerto Rican colmados, Dominican colmados are, for the most part, on their last years.

Sounds like 7-Eleven or Quickcheck. Unless they offer credit and small quantity pricing, the colmados are safe.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Sounds like 7-Eleven or Quickcheck. Unless they offer credit and small quantity pricing, the colmados are safe.

This is in the DR?
. "Extremely efficient in operations, lower prices, etc. Sounds more like Disneyland to me.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
This is in the DR?
. "Extremely efficient in operations, lower prices, etc. Sounds more like Disneyland to me.

It was NALS who posted about this so keep that in mind. Who knows, maybe the Indians are coming to town.
And what are the European or Canadian versions of a 7-Eleven?

I do wish we could get a Trader Joe's.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
NALs, we have a farmacia. we do not compete with la sirena in any way, shape or form. granted, la sirena has a farmacia on the premises but it is a slightly different mode of leading a business than traditional farmacias (no discounts, no credits and so on).

no not get me wrong, i think la sirena in POP is a great thing, even thou i mostly shop in jose luis. it is the only shop open all hours, all holidays and.. well... nearly all the time, really. but another store just like this? nah. i can't see that happening.

also, i hear about walmart and grupo gamos. i think walmart actually requires that if they are to purchase la sirena thay want a certain number of shops. but who knows.

niknak

Dec 12, 2008
not UK items, but items id definitely like to see (and purchase):

nutiva organic coconut oil
non-fluoridated salt
organic cold pressed extra virgin olive oil
braggs organic apple cider vinegar
organic turmeric powder

I've seen Bragg's ACV at Bravo supermarkets in SD. It was a few months ago, but, I suppose they might still sell them.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
no not get me wrong, i think la sirena in POP is a great thing, even thou i mostly shop in jose luis. it is the only shop open all hours, all holidays and.. well... nearly all the time, really. but another store just like this? nah. i can't see that happening.
Around 70% of Puerto Plata's households have monthly incomes within the target population for hypermarkets. That's over 28,000 households in Puerto Plata alone! When other towns like Imbert, Montellano, Sos?a, and Luper?n are added, the number of households with potential to become customers jumps to over 45,000!

The La Sirena store is not big enough to service even half of that, which leaves plenty of room for other players.

dv8 said:
also, i hear about walmart and grupo gamos. i think walmart actually requires that if they are to purchase la sirena thay want a certain number of shops. but who knows.
Those are rumors, but when Walmart adquired several chains in Central America, they didn't had any requirements of that nature. Walmart acquired them and did the expansion on its own.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Aprezio-298x295.jpg

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
Around 70% of Puerto Plata's households have monthly incomes within the target population for hypermarkets. That's over 28,000 households in Puerto Plata alone! When other towns like Imbert, Montellano, Sos?a, and Luper?n are added, the number of households with potential to become customers jumps to over 45,000!

The La Sirena store is not big enough to service even half of that, which leaves plenty of room for other players.

Those are rumors, but when Walmart adquired several chains in Central America, they didn't had any requirements of that nature. Walmart acquired them and did the expansion on its own.

Since few people here pay income taxes and I don't see many market researchers around, I wonder how these income stats are collected.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Since few people here pay income taxes and I don't see many market researchers around, I wonder how these income stats are collected.
Mixture of census data, national account data, and surveys conducted by private market researching companies and marketers. Much of the information tends to be underestimated, though.

Last edited:

Coralia

Mar 30, 2007
www.myspace.com
LOLOL...nice guy.....
but indeed Asian seasonings/spices would be grateful for me at least also some Dutch products..all I can find here are American - UK -Canadian and German stuff.....

How about a line fo asian foods

sweet chili sauce
terry arcky's sauce
the morning after pill
jasmine rice
noodles
handcuffs

canuckgirl

Nov 1, 2007
My wishlist: Cottage cheese, Smartfood, veal, maple syrup, 100% natural peanut butter, agave syrup, instant chocolate pudding, white chocolate, lemons, beef bouillon, buttermilk, gluten-free bread, fresh herbs grown in pots.

Thanks.

DonDR

Jul 14, 2010
Wishlists are good when you have a place where the goods would be displayed. Do we know where is the construction sight of the La Sirena super mercado? And how many floors of the building they already have constructed?