Land Degradation: Impact of Farmers

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Talk about soil CB, or black gold ... why is it called black gold?. Why is soil called 'dirt' in the US?

Talk about what soil degradation is? Talk about how it happens? What is the major cause of soil degradation? Talk about what can be done? Why is it of concern? What can the farmer do? .. what does the appropriate governmental agency need to do?. Or in the US, the agricultural extension of the Universities. How does one manage soil in the tropics? What types of soil is most prevalent in the tropics? Why do we get that reddish color? Why is it sometimes bone grey? How does one recognize impoverished land? Why do we need to concern ourselves with land degradation? Is it not so that soil is a non-renewable resource using human timescales as the authors of "Soil Degradation in the United States" state? (2004)
AG101, Chris. It all there. You act like it's some sort of new concept. It's an easy concept: if you don't take care of your soil, the soil will not take care of you. Heck, I remember learning about crop rotation, land laying fallow, step farming, etc. in elementary school. You post like it's a recent discovery.

And, seriously, in all your posts in this thread I've yet to see one that is DR related. I hope the Mods don't notice. Remember how you used to whack folks for doing that? Remember how you whacked me?

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
You guys, please go and read Fatal Harvest.
Also, go and do simple google searches in productivity small farms vs big farms. The landscape is changing and you do not know it.

Forgive me for leaving as I'd like to discuss ecology and soil. I'm quite happy to discuss it with anyone on any space in the political continuum as long as we can talk about soil. To some of us it is quite important and yes, it is as if it is a new thing on a daily basis. It is actually quite a major thing if you think that is where your food and wellbeing comes from. I get quite excited about this thing called soil that I'm told can so easily be explained in AG101. Why then do we have a food crisis on our hands?

Last edited by a moderator:

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
And, seriously, in all your posts in this thread I've yet to see one that is DR related. I hope the Mods don't notice. Remember how you used to whack folks for doing that? Remember how you whacked me?

Beyond my original announcement of the GT blog entry -- which was DR-related in that it discussed how over one-third of DR land is rated as degraded and discussed what the DR is and isn't doing -- none of the entries by anyone on this thread have been DR-specific, including you (please, don't even try to suggest that by throwing "not even in the DR" in one post qualifies as keeping your comments DR-specific).

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Beyond my original announcement of the GT blog entry -- which was DR-related in that it discussed how over one-third of DR land is rated as degraded and discussed what the DR is and isn't doing -- none of the entries by anyone on this thread have been DR-specific, including you (please, don't even try to suggest that by throwing "not even in the DR" in one post qualifies as keeping your comments DR-specific).
At least I tried, Keith, by the Real World DR example of how real local farm markets work. Other folks never mentioned the DR, but did mention what they're doing in other countries except the DR...

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Because world gubmints get involved in the world market.

I can't remember a time when or a country where the government was not involved in the food chain in some fashion (subsidies, import quotas, quality controls, phytosanitary rules, etc). I think the causes of the current food crisis is far more complex than that, just as I think we cannot trace the food crisis and land degradation to single models of agricultural production (small farms, organic farms, corporate farms, etc.).

So let's all get back to the supposed initial issue: land degradation in the DR, its causes and what, if anything, can be done to address it that is not already being done.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
I might add, having visited a few farms in the DR over the years, I think there are many Dominican farmers who need a refresher course in proper care of the soil. Some still practice slash-and-burn agriculture. Many don't practice crop rotation, proper irrigation like they should.

Is there an ag extension service in the DR, and if so, how well-trained and well manned are they?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
So let's all get back to the supposed initial issue: land degradation in the DR, its causes and what, if anything, can be done to address it that is not already being done.

I think we all know the causes; ignorance of degradation prevention and preservation methods and practices.

What can we do? Well other that being in the peace corp, a politician, or personally wealthy with the time it would take to get the message out, not a whole lot.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I think we all know the causes; ignorance of degradation prevention and preservation methods and practices.

What can we do? Well other that being in the peace corp, a politician, or personally wealthy with the time it would take to get the message out, not a whole lot.
Edumacation. Works every time it's tried.

I have friends who are what, corn and soybean farmers. They all have Ag degrees from fine state universities. They run their farms like half executive, and half scientist.

One guy grows a specific kind of corn for Kobe beef. He's given the seeds, fertilizers and basic instructions from his customer. He's doing quite well.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Edumacation. Works every time it's tried.

I have friends who are what, corn and soybean farmers. They all have Ag degrees from fine state universities. They run their farms like half executive, and half scientist.

One guy grows a specific kind of corn for Kobe beef. He's given the seeds, fertilizers and basic instructions from his customer. He's doing quite well.

You are quite right. But of course if the DR government can't even ensure a decent education for it's citizen's, what is the likelihood we'll see any change in our lifetime?

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Chip, I've actually met several quite sharp Dominican-educated agronomists.

I think in this case it's more a matter of educating the farmers -- even ones that have not finished middle school -- directly about the matters that directly affect their production and its environmental impacts. Ag extension services have been doing this effectively in many nations for decades.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Chip, I've actually met several quite sharp Dominican-educated agronomists.

I think in this case it's more a matter of educating the farmers -- even ones that have not finished middle school -- directly about the matters that directly affect their production and its environmental impacts. Ag extension services have been doing this effectively in many nations for decades.

I never meant to imply that there aren't capable professionals here, there are as everybody knows. I was trying to make the point that either there aren't enough working for the gov't. or the programs don't have enough funding to make a positive impact.

Agriculture is just one part of the problem of degradation, deforestation and pollution are the two other prime components. What can we do about them though if we don't have enough money to clean up the environment nor prevent more in the future through education, etc.

Also, my wife's nephew just completed an agronomy course and will be managing some 200 odd acres(est) in Moca.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Actually, if you were reading the GT blog lately, you'd know that recently quite a few funding sources have become available that pay and train farmers, poor families and others to reforest key watersheds and sustainably manage agricultural and forestry production. Some of these involve "environmental services" programs where the main users of the water -- water and sanitation services, power companies and farmers, pay a fee that goes into a fund that pays these folks to tend properly to the watersheds, improving them and their water retention.

So funding may not be the problem now that it once was...

"The Environmental Services Payment Concept Comes to the DR"

"Sustainable Production & Environmental Services in the Sabana Yegua Basin"

Last edited:

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Actually, if you were reading the GT blog lately, you'd know that recently quite a few funding sources have become available that pay and train farmers, poor families and others to reforest key watersheds and sustainably manage agricultural and forestry production. Some of these involve "environmental services" programs where the main users of the water -- water and sanitation services, power companies and farmers, pay a fee that goes into a fund that pays these folks to tend properly to the watersheds, improving them and their water retention.

So funding may not be the problem now that it once was...

"The Environmental Services Payment Concept Comes to the DR"

"Sustainable Production & Environmental Services in the Sabana Yegua Basin"
I don't think money is necessarily the problem.

It's a matter of personal will. If farmers wanted to learn about what they do to scratch out a living, they'd seek information.

One clear certainty in life: throwing gubmint or NGO money at a "problem" does NOT make the problem go away. Not even close. The world if chock full of examples.

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Deforestation

In the DR for almost all of the last century it was prohibited to cut or clear forests. The dictators Trujillo and Balaguer ensured that the country's forests be preserved. Around ten years ago when Leonel took power there was a lapse in the enforcement of prosecuting forests clearer's. The deforestation was accelerated by Hurricane Georges. It was not so much the damage caused by the storm but the indiscriminate cutting that occurred throughout six months after the passing of the phenomena as the government declared a period of grace for the farmers to clear up the mess. The farmers took advantage to clear any areas they had been wanting to clear for years. Since then Foresta (the government department that enforces forest preservation) has been very weak and known to be very corrupt. A clear solution to deforestation is a change of policy of the present Dominican government to take a harder line on enforcement.

Another affect that is caused by deforestation is flash flooding with rivers gaining greater strength because of less absorption and causing emense damage. This recently happened with TS Olga and Noel.

Its very important that the rivers are not deforested in areas along their side and also in areas that they originate from. There should be a campaign to preserve and reforest these areas. Also where suitable the planting of Cacao should be encouraged. Not only is it a good cash crop but also helps preserve the forests.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Drake got any pictures of this deforestation. I was under the impression, based on what I've seen that reforestation is alive and well in the DR. JARABACOA HAD TWO SAWMILLS DURING THE 50-80S. This was during the Trujillo and Balaguer days. They have long since shut down.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
thumb-environment_deforestation.jpg

Bob, I suggest you re-read this Green Team entry from Jan. 2006:
http://www.dr1.com/blogs/entry.php?u=environment&e_id=1432

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Bob, if you believe official stats, as reported to the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) for its State of the World's Forests report released in 2007, the DR's forest cover and "other wooded area" stayed stable 1990-2005 at 1,376,000 ha. and 876,000 ha., respectively.

Many people have trouble trusting those figures, however, because few are the nations where there was no measurable change whatsoever over that 15-yr period...

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Also where suitable the planting of Cacao should be encouraged. Not only is it a good cash crop but also helps preserve the forests.

Actually there have been several recent loans made with this objective in mind -- promoting organic cacao growing in small farmer co-ops, mixing with other vegetation (some of these also producing crops), and helping them sell and market their crop to makers of certified organic chocolate. Teaching and aiding them to make a living while also showing them good stewardship of the soil.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
thumb-environment_deforestation.jpg

Bob, I suggest you re-read this Green Team entry from Jan. 2006:
The Green Team

I read the blog and believe that illegal logging happens, but the blog entry, including the picture doesn't indicate where and when the logging took place. It may in fact be legally logged or from the past, as the blog talks about 60s, 70s, and 80s. On an island with finite resources and a growing population requiring buildings it doesn't surprise me that the riverbeds are robbed. All I know is my wife has has a number of repairs like new doors made for her school...etc and the pine has come from Chile.

Don't read me wrong I'm all from protecting the environment and being a good Stewart of the land but I lived most of my life in British Columbia where the eco-terrorists/ sierra club...etc fabricated pictures, misrepresent facts, and downright lied about many things.

Last edited: