Land Degradation: Impact of Farmers

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Keith

It's not that I'm interested in this topic enough to call these people, just that I immediately suspect anything managed by the Dominican government. I hope they do some good, but forgive me if I doubt it - after all you wouldn't call their track record (Dom gov't.) stellar, not to mention the apparent weak updates on the website.

ciao

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Yes, governments have had years to deal with the problem. The literature is beginning to say that the topsoil over the world is eroding faster than what it can be replaced. For a more global perspective, we have this article in the Financial Times describing a new book from the Earth Institute

"The soil degradation problem has been worsening for decades but it has taken the food price rises of the past two years to spur policymakers to take the issue seriously. A report from the International Assessment of Agricultural Science and Technology, which found that the rate of yield increases was faltering, concluded that a large part of the reason was the declining quality of soils."

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Keith

It's not that I'm interested in this topic enough to call these people, just that I immediately suspect anything managed by the Dominican government. I hope they do some good, but forgive me if I doubt it - after all you wouldn't call their track record (Dom gov't.) stellar, not to mention the apparent weak updates on the website.

ciao
Yeah, the Dominican government record on projects is far from stellar (downright bad, in some cases), that is for sure. I share that skepticism and have said so before. But I think you're being hyper-critical about the UNDP website. I've seen far, far worse for projects receiving aid that make this one look downright transparent. Doesn't mean that there's not room for improvement, yeah, there is, I too would like to see more. But raising a stink because they did not publish a report within 2 weeks after a reporting period ends is bit over the top, Chip.:tired:

Last edited:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Yeah, the Dominican government record on projects is far from stellar (downright bad, in some cases), that is for sure. I share that skepticism and have said so before. But I think you're being hyper-critical about the UNDP website. I've seen far, far worse for projects receiving aid that make this one look downright transparent. Doesn't mean that there's not room for improvement, yeah, there is, I too would like to see more. But raising a stink because they did not publish a report within 2 weeks after a reporting period ends is bit over the top, Chip.:tired:

Actually, it was also the previous "results" summarized so lackadaisically. I also will be overly skeptical by any program managed by the DR gov't until proven otherwise, sorry. If you are convinced by what you've seen, that is your right too.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Actually, it was also the previous "results" summarized so lackadaisically. I also will be overly skeptical by any program managed by the DR gov't until proven otherwise, sorry. If you are convinced by what you've seen, that is your right too.

Don't put words in my mouth. I never said I was convinced by what I've seen. I just said I think you're being too quick to judge.

And frankly I don't think we're disagreeing about anything other than whether the UNDP page contains enough information or not. I already said I too tend to be skeptical of projects involving the Dominican government.

However, re-check the facts, Chip. The project is NOT managed by the DR government. The Project Manager is a private foundation -- actually one that Hillbilly himself had nice things to say (scroll up to post #73 in this thread). If Hillbilly gives them the benefit of the doubt, I will -- for now.