LasTerrenas(Renting in PlayaBonita)- DR first time 59+ couple: trip Feb.23 - Mar.9/19

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Be careful driving- it's nothing like Canada and typical rules don't apply. That said, you picked one of the most beautiful parts of the island for your first visit. Enjoy your trip, we had -42C last week.

Winnipeg

Jan 5, 2019
Auryn,

Absolutely. If there is one thing I have read on various sites it is that exact thing. We have been in the -40sC (with windchill) in the last week as well. Where do you hail from?

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
OP, what airport are you flying into, and what time is your schedule arrival, morning, afternoon, or evening?

Rumble2005

Mar 18, 2006
Rumble2005,

Playa Las Ballenas is one of the places that was on our short list of places to rent. We would love to meet up for a drink and chat once we get settled. I'm so glad you mentioned ordering pesos in advance as I did hear somewhere that this is possible. Problem is, how in the world do you decide how much to bring and how much "cash" (US, Canadian, etc.) are you allowed to bring into the DR?
Thanks a million for the info.
Looking forward to hearing back from you,

Dawn

The amount you bring is totally dependent on lifestyle. If you drink alcohol and eat every meal in restaurants then LT is expensive enough.
We do like our cocktails and we typically make breakfast in our room and eat dinner at a restaurant. I budget $100 - $130 CDN per day over and above lodging. Last year I actually had 60,000 pesos left over for this year which is pretty significant.
However, I prefer bringing too many pesos VS too few.
I also bring $160 USD to get a taxi to and from the airport which is a total rip-off but it is what it is.
Hope this helps.
As for seafood, you can buy fresh fish right off the boat at the local fish market. My favorite is merro ( I think that's the name). It is red in color and could be confused with red snapper. Whatever then name is , it's very tasty.
Your lack of spanish will be a small issue at the fish market. Typically a calculator being passed back and forth with the price on it bridges the language gap. When they hand me the calculator I take 200 pesos off and hand it back to the guy. This goes on until we settle on a price.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Dominican Pesos can be ordered online from CIBC if you bank with them. You can pick up at branch or have them delivered to your home at no extra charge. This applies in Southern Ontario, can't say about Manitoba. Not sure how much advance notice you need to give.

$10,000 pesos cost $285 CDN this morning on their website, so not much different than william's $272 at the cambio.

I don't see any need to convert CDN to US to DOP as someone mentioned previously.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Buying US and then DOP is a couple of trades... fees involved.

The ATM route... even with a machine charge isn't too bad...
Fast, affordable & less leftover cash

IMO

Surely TD will offer an answer as to where they cooperate in this country

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Buying US and then DOP is a couple of trades... fees involved.

The ATM route... even with a machine charge isn't too bad...
Fast, affordable & less leftover cash

IMO

Surely TD will offer an answer as to where they cooperate in this country

Personally, I would bring about 1000 us and use your Interact Card at either Banco Progreso or Banco Popular which will allow you to take out 10,000-14,000 pesos per withdrawal. It is safe to use your CC at most gas stations like Texico....etc.

scotia

Mar 18, 2004
Scotia,

Excellent information regarding money use and I appreciate your addition of the current exchange rate. I don't have a Scotia account (deal with TD) but assume the ATM charge won't be much more for us. I appreciate your comments on using a "bank" ATM. I recently did read on Trip Advisor that ATMs in the two large grocery stores were OK (due to security in the store). What do you think? And yes, we are renting a car, but in case for some reason we change our mind, I wouldn't mind your taxi contact.

Thanks,

Dawn

I sent you a PM with taxi info. I don't know about bank machines in supermercados. I figure if you're using the bank's at least you can go in and talk to them if you don't get your money. You'll have lots of options while there and I am sure TD is partnered with one of the banks. We had a car to drive up to LT but found we did not really need it and sent it back with my husband's nephew. We stayed closer to town then you and walked most everywhere - grocery stores, beaches, used motor cycles, the guaguas and a taxi worked for the odd trip when we took my mother out and about. We rented a car one day to pick up a friend at the airport.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi There,

I am new to the forum and was wondering if anyone would give me some Las Terrenas info? I have been trying to find info on Trip Advisor but sometimes it's like pulling teeth! Any help would be much appreciated and I will be more than happy to provide a trip report after our vacation:

1. Approximate cost of purchasing Sim cards for hubby and I in Las Terrenas? I'm not sure how they work (are there different sizes based on how much data you think you would need during the two week period?) Sorry if I sound clueless because I am! lol I know we can take advantage of WhatsApp or WiFi but that will not be convenient for us all the time because we plan on sightseeing via rental car (am bringing a dash cam and paying for full insurance including "Casa de Conducteur") on a regular basis.

2. Best place to exchange money in Las Terrenas? Service Charge cost at ATMs and which ones are safest to use and daily withdrawal limits?? Being Canadians our dollar is not going to go far and I find it hard to decide whether it's cheaper to use a credit card (where possible), or cheaper to go to an ATM on a regular basis and pay cash over credit (possible discounts on using cash at some places?).

3. Suggestions on how to best prepare ourselves "language wise" since we do not speak spanish? We certainly don't want to come off as tourists who don't respect their mother tongue.

4. I understand there is a 28% tax added in many restaurants (possibly part of this tax is not necessarily a "law" requirement?). Any suggestions on good, moderate to inexpensive restaurants would be greatly appreciated. Also, where is the best place to purchase lobster as my husband and I will be cooking our own meals on a fairly regular basis?

Also, if there is a local/expat english speaking couple who wouldn't mind having a meal, drink, or even providing some periodic advice while we are there, that would be a big plus. This will be our "trip of a lifetime" as a couple so want to make the most of it.

Thanks in advance,

Winnipeg (Dawn and Jim)

P.S. Yup, we live in Winnipeg where it is currently -34 degrees celsius!

Hi:

I lived in LT for many years and here are my suggestions:

Exchange some Canadian money into American funds prior to leaving for your trip. I would not bring more than $500usd. You don't want to be carrying around a lot of cash in your wallet. Does the condo you are renting have a safe? That would be a definite plus so you can lock up most of your cash, passports and other valuables. Do not bring expensive jewelry or wear expensive watches. Bottom line, don't make yourself a target in the DR. Use your Credit/Debit card to withdraw any additional monies needed. I used the ATMS at Peseo Plaza in LT. They allowed you to withdraw 10,000rd pesos. As far as restaurants you have a wide range to choose from. Here are my suggestions. Since you are already in Playa Bonita go to the very end of the paver walk and you will find Hotel Atlantas. They have a great French Restaurant in the courtyard of the hotel. Prices are higher than average but the food and atmosphere are worth the price. From Playa Bonita head away from Las Terrenas back to Coson and go to Luis' Restaurant, located right on the beach. This place is open all day for lunch. Can't beat the laid back atmosphere here. Great food, featuring grilled fish, chicken and shrimp. They also have lobster in season, however ask the price per pound before you order. There prices on lobster are high. Your meal comes with all the side, red beans and rice, papa fritas (french fries) and salad. You can order a cold Presidente' beer or a Pina Colada in a hollowed out Pinapple. Wear your bathing suit. You can swim or walk down the endless beach. In Las Terrenas on the Playa Popi side of town, Tres Caraveles has a great menu and very good selection of beef. Further down across from Punta Popi is Mojitos, a Cuban Restaurant. Very good food and choice of Tapas. If you want pizza or a lighter fare I would recommend Pizza Azul. It is located on the oceanside across the street from Peseo Plaza. Right next store is my favorite restaurant in town, La Yuca Caliente'. This is an authentic Italian Restaurant. The owner is from Rome, Italy and came to LT over 30 years ago. Great Lasagna and Carbonara. Those are my favorites. Hope you have a great week on the Samana Peninsula.

Winnipeg

Jan 5, 2019
The amount you bring is totally dependent on lifestyle. If you drink alcohol and eat every meal in restaurants then LT is expensive enough.
We do like our cocktails and we typically make breakfast in our room and eat dinner at a restaurant. I budget $100 - $130 CDN per day over and above lodging. Last year I actually had 60,000 pesos left over for this year which is pretty significant.
However, I prefer bringing too many pesos VS too few.
I also bring $160 USD to get a taxi to and from the airport which is a total rip-off but it is what it is.
Hope this helps.
As for seafood, you can buy fresh fish right off the boat at the local fish market. My favorite is merro ( I think that's the name). It is red in color and could be confused with red snapper. Whatever then name is , it's very tasty.
Your lack of spanish will be a small issue at the fish market. Typically a calculator being passed back and forth with the price on it bridges the language gap. When they hand me the calculator I take 200 pesos off and hand it back to the guy. This goes on until we settle on a price.

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. We will be making many meals in our villa but will most likely eat at least one meal our every couple of days.
I also think your fish bartering advise will come in handy!

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
I use all the time ATM's, preferably Banco Popular. Be sure to bring more than one credit card. I had last time four, and only two functioned at the ATM, also the ladies at the counter refused a few of them. Some of the Banks require two Identifications, passport and for instance driving license.

Winnipeg

Jan 5, 2019
Personally, I would bring about 1000 us and use your Interact Card at either Banco Progreso or Banco Popular which will allow you to take out 10,000-14,000 pesos per withdrawal. It is safe to use your CC at most gas stations like Texico....etc.

Thank Bob.

I can see the benefit in doing this as well. :)

Winnipeg

Jan 5, 2019
Hi:

I lived in LT for many years and here are my suggestions:

Exchange some Canadian money into American funds prior to leaving for your trip. I would not bring more than $500usd. You don't want to be carrying around a lot of cash in your wallet. Does the condo you are renting have a safe? That would be a definite plus so you can lock up most of your cash, passports and other valuables. Do not bring expensive jewelry or wear expensive watches. Bottom line, don't make yourself a target in the DR. Use your Credit/Debit card to withdraw any additional monies needed. I used the ATMS at Peseo Plaza in LT. They allowed you to withdraw 10,000rd pesos. As far as restaurants you have a wide range to choose from. Here are my suggestions. Since you are already in Playa Bonita go to the very end of the paver walk and you will find Hotel Atlantas. They have a great French Restaurant in the courtyard of the hotel. Prices are higher than average but the food and atmosphere are worth the price. From Playa Bonita head away from Las Terrenas back to Coson and go to Luis' Restaurant, located right on the beach. This place is open all day for lunch. Can't beat the laid back atmosphere here. Great food, featuring grilled fish, chicken and shrimp. They also have lobster in season, however ask the price per pound before you order. There prices on lobster are high. Your meal comes with all the side, red beans and rice, papa fritas (french fries) and salad. You can order a cold Presidente' beer or a Pina Colada in a hollowed out Pinapple. Wear your bathing suit. You can swim or walk down the endless beach. In Las Terrenas on the Playa Popi side of town, Tres Caraveles has a great menu and very good selection of beef. Further down across from Punta Popi is Mojitos, a Cuban Restaurant. Very good food and choice of Tapas. If you want pizza or a lighter fare I would recommend Pizza Azul. It is located on the oceanside across the street from Peseo Plaza. Right next store is my favorite restaurant in town, La Yuca Caliente'. This is an authentic Italian Restaurant. The owner is from Rome, Italy and came to LT over 30 years ago. Great Lasagna and Carbonara. Those are my favorites. Hope you have a great week on the Samana Peninsula.

Thank you so much Steve for your advice and restaurant suggestions!!
:)

Winnipeg

Jan 5, 2019
I use all the time ATM's, preferably Banco Popular. Be sure to bring more than one credit card. I had last time four, and only two functioned at the ATM, also the ladies at the counter refused a few of them. Some of the Banks require two Identifications, passport and for instance driving license.

Salsafan,

Yikes!

Hubby and I each have our own President's Choice Mastercard and that is it! Hope they are accepted in most places. I just realized I also have a ScotiaLine Visa card so that may also be an option.
Thanks for the tip as I haven't read this anywhere else.
;)

Dawn

Winnipeg

Jan 5, 2019
Dominican Pesos can be ordered online from CIBC if you bank with them. You can pick up at branch or have them delivered to your home at no extra charge. This applies in Southern Ontario, can't say about Manitoba. Not sure how much advance notice you need to give.

$10,000 pesos cost $285 CDN this morning on their website, so not much different than william's $272 at the cambio.

I don't see any need to convert CDN to US to DOP as someone mentioned previously.

Thank you! Any steps we can save are a bonus.

Dawn

Winnipeg

Jan 5, 2019
I sent you a PM with taxi info. I don't know about bank machines in supermercados. I figure if you're using the bank's at least you can go in and talk to them if you don't get your money. You'll have lots of options while there and I am sure TD is partnered with one of the banks. We had a car to drive up to LT but found we did not really need it and sent it back with my husband's nephew. We stayed closer to town then you and walked most everywhere - grocery stores, beaches, used motor cycles, the guaguas and a taxi worked for the odd trip when we took my mother out and about. We rented a car one day to pick up a friend at the airport.

Scotia,

I PM'd you back.
I considered renting closer and doing more walking, but since my husband uses a cane he can't walk too far.
We pretty much decided a while back to rent a car for his comfort.

Dawn

RockyM

Jul 16, 2018
We have a condo in Playa Bonita and visit a couple times a year. We will be there right after you leave - end of April - otherwise we could meet up. LTSteve mentioned Hotel Atlantis down the ocean walkway. We still have not been there and plan to go every visit, but run out of time. It is supposed to be $$, but superb. There are also some other good restaurants and bars along that same walkway.

I'll chime in re. the money. They will tend to wave the VAT taxes if you pay in cash...sometimes. We tend to pay for meals and such with cash. Seems to be easier.

If you are renting a car and driving....strap yourself in! The driving is crazy. We drove from Santo Domingo and it was quite the adventure. But, you get used to it.

And...do NOT drink the water. Seriously. Stick to bottled water.

You will love it. We have a great time every visit. So much so we are retiring there in another 19 months. But who's counting :0)

Winnipeg

Jan 5, 2019
We have a condo in Playa Bonita and visit a couple times a year. We will be there right after you leave - end of April - otherwise we could meet up. LTSteve mentioned Hotel Atlantis down the ocean walkway. We still have not been there and plan to go every visit, but run out of time. It is supposed to be $$, but superb. There are also some other good restaurants and bars along that same walkway.

I'll chime in re. the money. They will tend to wave the VAT taxes if you pay in cash...sometimes. We tend to pay for meals and such with cash. Seems to be easier.

If you are renting a car and driving....strap yourself in! The driving is crazy. We drove from Santo Domingo and it was quite the adventure. But, you get used to it.

And...do NOT drink the water. Seriously. Stick to bottled water.

You will love it. We have a great time every visit. So much so we are retiring there in another 19 months. But who's counting :0)

Retiring in 19 months!!!
Now I'm really jealous.
Re: water - Not to worry. We have a water cooler in our apartment so having bottled water there is a no brainer. The villa we are staying in also has a water cooler and apparently the staff will replace the jugs when empty. :)