Learning Haitian Creole: Some Proverbs

GWOZOZO

Bronze
Dec 7, 2011
"Haitian orthography debate

The first technical orthography for Haitian Creole was developed in 1940 by Ormonde McConnell. It was later revised with the help of Frank Laubach, resulting in the creation of what is known as the McConnell-Laubach orthography.

The McConnell?Laubach orthography received substantial criticism from members of the Haitian elite. Haitian scholar Charles Pressoir critiqued the McConnell-Laubach orthography for its lack of front rounded vowels because of their highly symbolic value in Krey?l. Another criticism was of the broad use of the letters /w/ and /y/. Pressoir argued that these letters looked "too American". This criticism of the ?American look? of the orthography was shared by many educated Haitians, who also criticized its association with Protestantism. The last of Pressoir?s criticisms was that ?the use of the circumflex accent to mark nasalized vowels? treated nasal sounds differently from the way they are represented in French and, therefore, would inhibit the learning of French.

The official creation of the orthography was essentially an articulation of the language ideologies of those involved and therefore brought out political and social tensions between competing groups. A large portion of this tension lay in the ideology held by many that the French language is superior, which led to resentment of the language by some Haitians and an admiration for it from others. This orthographical controversy boiled down to an attempt to unify a conception of Haitian national identity, a highly politicized and controversial topic of which there are many competing views
."

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
The first technical orthography for Haitian Creole was developed in 1940 by Ormonde McConnell.

This is precisely why it is so hard for French speakers to write in Cr?ole, because the orthography was made up by an English speaker. As of me, I usually have to read the text aloud, and then it makes sense easily. But if I am downtown Cap-Haitien, I have no problem whatsoever ;)

GWOZOZO

Bronze
Dec 7, 2011
This is precisely why it is so hard for French speakers to write in Cr?ole, because the orthography was made up by an English speaker. As of me, I usually have to read the text aloud, and then it makes sense easily. But if I am downtown Cap-Haitien, I have no problem whatsoever ;)

A perfect example of the lack of vision of the so called educated haitian cultural/educational elite.

Failure to develop and standardize the nation's language until outsiders come in.

GWOZOZO

Bronze
Dec 7, 2011
Examples of creolization in different places:

French: Excusez moi ( Excuse me)
Guyanne Creole: Eskuze mo
Haitian Creole: Eskize mwen / Eskize'm

French: Essayer (to try)
Louisiana Creole: Saye
Haitian Creole: Eseye

French: dehors (outside)
Mauritian Creole: deor
Haitian Creole: deyo / deyo-a

AP/APE: Haiti, Louisiana, Indian Ocean..... versus KA: Lesser Antilles

French: Il/Elle chante (He/She is singing)
Martinique Creole: I ka chante
Haitian Creole: Li ap chante / L'ap chante