Libros en espa?ol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sholly24

I'm an athiest loving Obama fan!
Mar 5, 2006
............. (desconozco #2 y #6). .

Me equivoqu? un poco con el nombre de #2. Los nombres de los autores son Seraf?n y Joaquin ?lvarez Quintero (hermanos) y nacieron en 1871 y 1873 respectivamente.

Domitila Barrios de Chungara #6 naci? en 1937 en los Andes bolivianos. Creo que ella es de bolivia.

Gracias

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Sholly 24-

Como dijo Norma, los escritores que mencionaste son grandes de literatura espa?ola. Aunque leo a?n me falta mucho por leer.

1/ Ana Mar?a Matute- s? un poco de ella y en mi opini?n es una gran autora. De hecho, tengo dos libros en mi colecci?n que alg?n d?a leer?.

2/ Seraf?n y Joaquin ?lvarez Quintero- no los conozco.

3/ & 5- Son grandes de literatura espa?ola. Borges no me llama la atenci?n aunque he le?do algunos de sus ensayos. He le?do muy poco de GGM. Le? Noticia de un secuestro y varios cuentos cortos. Hace muchos a?os que le? Los funerales de la Mam? grande. Tendr?a que volver a leerlo para dar mi opini?n.

4/ Juan Rulfo- no he le?do nada de ?l

6/ No la conozco.

Te recomiendo los cuentos de Rosa Montero. El libro se titula Amantes y Enemigos.

Si quieres saber m?s acerca de las obras de los escritores que mencionaste, hay muchos comentarios en varios sitios si tienes tiempo para averiguar, sobre todo los sitios Web de Espa?a. Me alegra saber que te gusta leer en espa?ol. La literatura espa?ola ofrece una gran selecci?n de libros, por lo tanto, hay que aprovechar.

-LDG.

PD. I was hoping others would respond to your post thus my delay. I am glad Norma did at least.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Central American Literature-

Rodrigo Rey Rosa-

About the author in brief:

This author was born in 1958 and is a native of Guatemala. After pursuing his studies he left his native land due to violence and social conflict. He moved to New York and later on to Tangier (Morocco). There he began translating books from English to Spanish while continuing to write novels. He has a convincing repertoire of books and some have been translated into other languages.

How did I discover this author?

I discovered Rodrigo Rey Rosa the usual way I discover authors that I have not heard of previously, by carefully browsing through books in bookstores and reading the editorial summary at the back of the book. At the time the two novels that I purchased, Que me maten si... and La orilla africana seemed interesting and I like to sample a variety of Latin American literature. In the literary circle of contemporary greats, Guatemalan authors are not usually mentioned except Rigoberta Mench?. Therefore, I was intrigued by this contemporary author and in fact, I would like to read more Central American literature in general.

About his style in brief:

In literature simplicity and elegance always win in my book and that?s how I best describe Rodrigo Rey?s style. Good syntax, a variety of vocabulary, idiomatic expressions are used continuously to give the text flavor and there?s evidence of country or region specific linguistic differences as they relate to the Spanish language. Regarding the linguistic differences specific to these novels, I am referring to the usage of "vos" and its verbal forms. Guatemala is what is categorized as partial voseo speaking country and is categorized as such because not all Guatemalans and Central Americans use voseo forms although the usage is quite common in Central America except for Panama.

Here are a few examples from the book:

?Vos sos de aqu? tambi?n?
?Por qu? no me hac?s caso?
Ten?s miedo

These are examples of linguistic features or aspects that I never overlook when reading a novel. In addition to this some regional expressions and local vocabulary are used by the author. Seeing these forms in literature reaffirm the "vos" usage I hear daily from many Spanish speakers.

His repertoire:

Rodrigo Rey Rosa in my opinion can be categorized as a successful author whose work has been published by quality publishing houses such as Alfaguara and Seix Barral. The location of the story in his novels is either Tangier or Guatemala. According to the critics his best novel is Que me maten si... Out from reading excerpts of his novels, I am also interested in reading Piedras encantadas if I could find it in a bookstore because it?s not available online.

Here is the editorial summary from the back of the book:

"Piedras encantadas"

Un hombre atropella accidentalmente a un ni?o que pasea a caballo por la calle y huye por miedo a las consecuencias de este hecho fortuito. ?ste es el punto de partida de una inquietante trama espl?ndidamente desplegada: un suceso desafortunado que adquiere dimensiones sociales y pol?ticas extraordinarias ante el descubrimiento de la identidad del muchacho.

El trasfondo social de una Guatemala que lucha por sobrevivirse a s? misma cobra un protagonismo aterrador ante los ojos del lector. El estilo, el ritmo y la l?gica interna de la narraci?n adquieren, a su vez, una importancia capital en Piedras encantadas, la novela con la que Rodrigo Rey Rosa reafirma con magistral sutileza sus dotes narrativas. Un texto conciso, ?gil y perturbador que no dejar? indiferente a nadie.

I just finished reading Que me maten si? and I will soon begin La orilla africana. These are short novels just under two hundred pages. It?s very easy to spend a few days reading good literature. I hope to find Piedras encantadas and some of his other novels when I go book browsing next month.

-LDG.

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007
Rodrigo Rey Rosa-
In the literary circle of contemporary greats, Guatemalan authors are not usually mentioned except Rigoberta Mench?. Therefore, I was intrigued by this contemporary author and in fact, I would like to read more Central American literature in general.

Regarding the linguistic differences specific to these novels, I am referring to the usage of "vos" and its verbal forms. Guatemala is what is categorized as partial voseo speaking country and is categorized as such because not all Guatemalans and Central Americans use voseo forms although the usage is quite common in Central America except for Panama. -LDG.

Gracias, lesley.
Un genio de la literatura hispanoamericana lo es el guatemalteco
Miguel Angel Asturias (Premio Nobel 1967),*considerado el padre del realismo m?gico. He le?do dos de sus obras: "El se?or presidente", novela sobre la corrupci?n y la maldad existentes durante la dictadura de Manuel Estrada Cabrera y "Hombres de ma?z", que tiene como temas la gente ind?gena, los maiceros y la destrucci?n de la tierra. Tambi?n escribi? "Leyendas de Guatemala" (1930), un trabajo sobre la cultura maya. (No he le?do esta ?ltima.)
Rafael Ar?valo Mart?nez es un distinguido poeta y prosista guatemalteco. De ?l he le?do su novela corta, "El hombre que parec?a un caballo", obra llena de s?mbolos mitol?gicos, est?ticos y psicol?gicos. En las obras que he le?do no se hace uso del voseo. Pero s?, como dices Guatemala usa un voseo parcial.

According to D. Lincoln Canfield (Spanish Pronunciation in the americas) the phonology of Guatemalan Spanish resembles that of Costa Rica. Ruben del Rosario (El Espa?ol de America) has indicated that Costa Rica is a region of ?voseo puro?.
The most outstanding feature of the phonology of Guatemalan Spanish, according to Canfield, is the strong assibilation (hissing sound) of /r/ except in intervocalic position (Costa Rica also). That is, when a Guatemalan say ?ropa? (clothing) it sounds like ?sopa?, ?circo? sounds like ?cisco?. In common with all Central American countries (excepting Panam?) the intervocalic /y/ is so weak that it disappears or becomes a semivowel: Capilla-> cap?a, mayo-> maio. For the most part, they do pronounce /s/ with clarity.

In the DR, the tendency is to pronounce /y/ and /ll/ so strong in initial position, that it resembles the English /j/, as in John: ll?mame-> /j?mame/.
But they don?t disappear in Dominican Spanish. In matters of language, ?cada loco con su tema.? (Maybe I should go to the thread on proverbs with that one.)

Btw, I am already reading "La isla de los amores infinitos".

P.S.
(Help, please. I am unable to use the menu features: bold, font, color, underline, etc. When I type a book title, it appears like the rest of the text. I use quotation marks, but that?s not for a book title.)

Thanks

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Contestando-

Gracias, lesley.
Un genio de la literatura hispanoamericana lo es el guatemalteco
Miguel Angel Asturias (Premio Nobel 1967),*considerado el padre del realismo m?gico.

...Rafael Ar?valo Mart?nez es un distinguido poeta y prosista guatemalteco. De ?l he le?do su novela corta, "El hombre que parec?a un caballo", obra llena de s?mbolos mitol?gicos, est?ticos y psicol?gicos.

Norma gracias por tu aporte. En cuanto a literatura centroamericana, la verdad es que no s? mucho. Dado que quiero saber m?s, prometo mejorar. Tienes toda la raz?n, Miguel ?ngel Asturias es uno de los grandes. Aunque no he le?do nada de ?l, me parece interesante ese libro que mencionaste El se?or presidente porque trata de la situaci?n pol?tica del pa?s en alg?n momento dado.

Tengo planeado ir a la librer?a el mes pr?ximo. Quiz?s consigo ese libro. La tienda donde compro mis libros es muy surtida, por lo tanto, creo que ser? posible conseguirlo. No conozco a Rafael Ar?valo Mart?nez. Sus obras suenan interesantes tambi?n.

According to D. Lincoln Canfield (Spanish Pronunciation in the americas) the phonology of Guatemalan Spanish resembles that of Costa Rica. Ruben del Rosario (El Espa?ol de America) has indicated that Costa Rica is a region of ?voseo puro?.

In the DR, the tendency is to pronounce /y/ and /ll/ so strong in initial position, that it resembles the English /j/, as in John: ll?mame-> /j?mame/.
But they don?t disappear in Dominican Spanish. In matters of language, ?cada loco con su tema.? (Maybe I should go to the thread on proverbs with that one.)

Thanks for the piece of the information about Spanish Pronunciation in the Americas by D. Lincoln Canfield. Much research has been done on "el voseo" and IMO; it?s always good to consult more than one source. As well, linguists continue to analyze the usage since it has been officially accepted by La Academia Argentina de Letras only last year (2006) as official verb forms. The best information I have read on the usage of vos describes it as predominate in Costa Rica over "t?", which I think is better than saying "voseo puro". As well, if you speak to Costa Ricans you will notice that they do use "t?" but vos is definitely dominate especially in casual conversation. That has been my experience.

This is from la pagina del idioma espa?ol:

?.Pero en Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay, Am?rica Central y el estado mejicano de Chiapas domina el vos en la conversaci?n familiar con intensa y espont?nea vitalidad.

Regarding the pronunciation of the /y/ and /ll/ in DR sounding like the English /j/, it?s not so loco. I hear it in the DR quite a bit and I have one friend in particular who really pronounces lluvia, llover, llamar etc. with an English /j/ sound. However, I have also heard it from other speakers too (some South Americas).

El Nuevo Herald has a section called Bien Dicho which I read daily and it gives a tip about Spanish be it grammar, vocabulary, incorrect usage of a word etc. Last year they provided good information about el voseo and out from the details provided I started a thread. Here it is: http://www.dr1.com/forums/spanish-101/52057-el-voseo-rioplatense.html

As well in some of the newer good quality Spanish textbooks on the market today they have added details about "el voseo", which includes a bit of history and the verb conjugations people will see in written form and hear in certain parts of Latin America.

I am actually re-reading a few chapters of La isla de los amores infinitos while it?s still fresh in my mind. I very rarely go back and re-read a book so soon but I feel the need to with D. Chaviano.

PD. The menu features s/b accessible when you respond to any post. Just above the box where you type a response you should have the options for bold, underline, color etc just like in a Microsoft word document. Just highlight the text in question then select the option you want to use. If it does not work please send Robert a PM in order to keep the thread on topic.

Merci beaucoup

-LDG.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Libros para el verano 2008

The summer months are usually when many people dedicate time to reading which is a very rewarding past time. Whether one is on vacation or just enjoying the weather at home, there?s nothing more relaxing than reading a good enticing book. In the past, I started a book thread just for the summer and debated whether I should start one this year under the title of Libros para el verano 2008. However, I decided against it and simply to revive this one primarily because DR1 does not seem to have many avid readers of Spanish books from what I observed.

Therefore, this thread will be my book thread for reviews and commentary for the summer of 2008. Thus far in 2008, I have read two books, Coraz?n mestizo by Pedro Juan Guti?rrez and Mi pa?s inventado by Isabel Allende. This is below my normal reading count but I hope to be able to read more in the coming months or at least a few of the key books on my list which keeps changing.

Once again, there is not a shortage of novels to choose from but rather a shortage of time. While I have a few books in mind for the summer, I found a few good websites with either book lists for 2008 or book lists used in university course work at very levels. A trip to the campus bookstore of a major university is also my suggestion which I did last week.

I like diversity when I select a novel to read. Not only do I have a few authors whose literary work I enjoy reading, I also enjoy reading literature by authors who are not in the spotlight but certainly are good writers. These authors are the ones I usually discover on the websites of the top publishing houses of Spanish novels such as Alfaguara, Planeta, Seix Barral, Plaza & Jan?s, Anagrama, Tusquets Editores, and Grupo Editoral Norma just to name a few.

To find out the top ten books weekly and monthly, El Nuevo Herald publishes this information in the section titled Artes y Letras. The list includes the top ten most popular books weekly of about six Latin American countries and the top ten most popular books sold monthly in the Miami area. These lists give you an idea of what the public preference is for a period of time. As well, it may give you an idea of what authors to choose and what book books to read both fiction and nonfiction.

I am looking to diversify my choices over the next few months as soon as I finish the book I am currently reading which is La hija del can?bal by Rosa Montero. It?s a great novel, typical Rosa Montero creativity and genius. I will definitely post a commentary. My biggest challenge is what to read next and hopefully it will be just as good. I have plenty of good choices on the shelf.

Here are a two websites with interesting book lists:

This website has a good selection of Latin American literature. Many very popular and renowned authors are listed. Some have novels that are on the list of Latin American classics.

http://www.univie.ac.at/Romanistik/HTM/STUDIUM/Studienprogramme/Libros_de_lectura.doc

Here is a book list for this summer from a Spanish newspaper.

Cultura - Libros para el verano - ADN.es

-LDG.

angie12

Apr 26, 2008
Tantos mensajes y opiniones tan educadas que hasta me da miedo opinar. Solo les agradezco que aporten tantos titulos y autores a esta cadena de mensajes. Mi pasi?n es la lectura, y cada recomendaci?n es un eslabon m?s a mi cadena... Sin duda mi autor favorito es Gabriel Garcia Marquez. He le?do (ya varias veces) su libro "El amor en Tiempos del C?lera"... For me, all time favorite book.
Thanks everyone for all the books I will now add to the "must reads" of my list.... Some books mentioned, I've had the pleasure of reading already.... but many more are new for me... thanks!!!

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
angie12-

Gracias por leer los comentarios. A m? tambi?n me encanta la lectura y de hecho es una de mis pasiones. La buena lectura es algo que valoro y la lectura espa?ola le ofrece al lector/a una gama de libros de buen gusto que a veces es dif?cil saber qu? leer. A trav?s de los a?os, he tenido la suerte de encontrar libros que me han gustado mucho y escritores que tienen mucha facilidad para escribir.

Tengo El amor en los tiempos del c?lera en mi colecci?n pero no lo he le?do todav?a. S? que es una de las grandes obras de GGM (Gabriel Garc?a M?rquez) as? que es recomendable leer el libro. No tengas miedo de opinar. Me encanta saber la opini?n ajena sobre todo si es un libro que he le?do tambi?n.

Hace dos d?as compr? un libro en Amazon que estaba en la lista de los 10 libros m?s vendidos de la semana pasada en Paraguay. Vi el titulo, averig?? un poco sobre la autora y lo compr?. El libro se titula Elena sabe por Claudia Pi?eiro. Espero que sea un buen libro.

PARAGUAY

1.- "Pecar como Dios manda" - Federico Andahazi
2.- "La pasi?n seg?n Carmela" - Marcos Aguinis
3.- "Maridos" - Angeles Mastretta
4.- "La suma de los d?as" - Isabel Allende
5.- "Historias de div?n" - Gabriel Rol?n
6.- "Un asunto pendiente" - John Katzenbach
7.- "Como el r?o que fluye" - Paulo Coelho
8.- "Elena sabe" - Claudia Pi?eiro
9.- "Tuya" - Claudia Pi?eiro
10.- "El hombre equivocado" - John Katzenbach

Los 10 libros mas vendidos de la semana | terra

Otro enlace interesante:

ClubCultura.com - Cultura iberoamericana, literatura, cine, musica y fotografia

Muchos saludos,

-LDG.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
'Trilog?a sucia de La Habana'-

I am a week late in seeing this article posted in El Universal (Cartagena, Colombia) however, I am glad I did not miss it. It?s about Pedro Juan Guti?rrez. I mentioned his name many times in my comments about literature and specifically about Cuban literature. There are comments in this thread as well and another feature article from 2007.

Pedro Juan continues to make a name for himself although his writing style definitely stirs controversy for his treatment of the reality of Cuban poverty and the non glorified view of what it is like to live with the bare minimum or nothing in Cuba. In his series of novels about the country, this author spares no expense, maybe a bit too uncouth at times but it?s just literature and perhaps it?s required to add more reality to the situation described.

I read Trilog?a sucia de La Habana five years ago and still recommend the book to anyone who can read the novel and accept it for what it is. Life is not easy in Cuba regardless how beautiful Varadero seems to tourists who lie on the beach year after year. Living there and vacationing there are two different realities.

His newest release is Coraz?n mestizo which I read and details his life having endured the hardships of repression and poverty, certainly not the Cuba that?s glorified to foreigners. If you choose to read any of his novels my suggestion is to follow the sequence although this novel can be read before or after the others in the series. IMO, he?s a good writer with a diverse vocabulary and a unique command of the language. His novels offer an incomparable literary style with plenty of Cuban and Caribbean colloquialisms if you are one to analyze the linguistic aspects of a novel. My suggestion is not to compare him to other contemporary and classic authors because there is no comparison. Simply his style is unique and so is his objective.

Here's the article in El Universal
Suplementos - Dominical -> ?Trilog?a sucia de La Habana? - El Universal

-LDG.

RenatoSosua

Bronze
Nov 8, 2006
groups.yahoo.com
poemario

El nuevo libro de Rosa Silverio

El nuevo libro de Rosa Silverio Rosa Silverio, la escritora dominicana que en 2005 gan? el Premio Internacional Nosside del Centro de Estudios Bosio en Italia, present? en la pasada Feria Internacional del Libro su tercer poemario, Rosa ?ntima, que comprende poemas escritos en su mayor?a entre 2004 y 2006.

?En este poemario su autora ahonda nuevamente en la tristeza, un tema recurrente en su obra po?tica, as? como la muerte, una de sus fantas?as, de sus obsesiones. La muerte como viaje y como sin?nimo de paz espiritual?. Esas son las palabras del escritor Juan Freddy Armando, quien estuvo a cargo de la presentaci?n.

En su p?gina web, rosasilverio.blogspot.com, la autora expresa que lo m?s dif?cil fue encontrar el t?tulo del libro: ?Ninguno me gustaba, as? que se qued? con el que m?s se acercaba al esp?ritu del conjunto de textos, adem?s era una manera de hacer alusi?n a un poema de Yeats que me gusta mucho que se llama La rosa secreta?.

Silverio se confiesa alegre. ?Hace mucho que sent?a que esos poemas no me pertenec?an (aunque siguen siendo m?os), pero ya deb?a dejarlos ir de casa?, dice, y asegura, a pesar de su destacada trayectoria, que todav?a no est? ?ni cerca? de escribir el tipo de cosas con las que sue?a.

Pr?ximamente el libro se presentar? en la Librer?a Cuesta de Santo Domingo.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
For those of you lining up your summer reading, I recommend that you read Candela, a novel by a young Dominican author who is beginning to make a name for himself -- Alfaguara kicked off their winter line with this title and it deserves attention. It makes use of the police genre to investigate the nature of Dominican society and culture in its present transformation as a developing nation, and those of you who live here will readily recognize the aptness of the author's observations. There are particularly trenchant comments around page 108 on the "Mierd?polis." On the whole it is a good read and rather unusual.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Thanks for the book suggestion- Candela by Rey Andujar

This is a good suggestion for those who would like to read Dominican literature written by a Dominican author. With his book published by Alfaguara he should get some much needed international popularity. Alfaguara will certainly offer this as writers need to have literature of high calibre to qualify for their literary standards. I searched for the book on Amazon but it is not available. Hopefully, it will be soon. I will also look on Alfaguara?s website.

I think I have my focus for the summer confirmed. Since times flies I have to be realistic about my choices and I have narrowed it down to South America. With a desire to try new authors who are renowned in their country of origin but also in Latin America, I decided to read some books by Juan Carlos Onetti, el gran escritor uruguayo and Claudia Pi?eiro from Argentina. El pozo by Juan Carlos Onetti was given to me as a gift and Claudia Pi?eiro I learned of her work by browsing the top ten books lists in El Nuevo Herald. I have read some books before by authors from Argentina and I have enjoyed the perspective, precision and quality of Spanish. This will be my first sample of literature from Uruguay. Therefore, I look forward to expanding my literary sphere of authors from the R?o de la Plata area. As well, I may be able to read one or two more from my original book list for 2008.

-LDG.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Instrucciones para salvar el mundo- Rosa Montero

This new release is great news for me and Rosa Montero fans alike. After browsing Alfaguara's website for the latest in book releases and other related news, I was happy to see Rosa Montero's new novel, Instrucciones para salvar el mundo. Having become a fan of her literature over the years as well as her essays, I am once again inspired to sample her writing skills.

The editorial synopsis is very enticing and a PDF excerpt has been made available for the most curious readers like me. Here is the extract of her new novel http://www.alfaguara.santillana.es/upload/primeraspaginas/978-84-204-7379-6.pdf. If you have not read any of her work, this is an example of her writing style. IMO, it's simple but exquisite and a fine example of quality Spanish literature. I am almost done La hija del can?bal. A brief review is soon to follow.

Editorial Alfaguara

To see an excerpt of the presentation of the novel click on multimedia in the link above.

-LDG.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
La hija del Can?bal- Rosa Montero-my brief review

La hija del Can?bal- Rosa Montero

Reci?n termin? La hija del Can?bal de la gran autora espa?ola Rosa Montero. Compr? el libro el a?o pasado sin saber de lo que trataba pero ten?a mucha confianza en ella. He le?do otros libros de su colecci?n y me gusta su forma de redactar. Sus obras siempre exponen su magistral talento ling??stico y sus temas originales que atrapan al lector de una vez.

En mi opini?n, La hija del Can?bal es un libro de misterio. Sin entrar en detalles por si acaso a alguien le interese leerlo, Rosa Montero desarroll? bien el personaje principal, Luc?a y la relaci?n extra?a que tiene con su esposo hasta que es secuestrado. Mientras el lector/ la lectora va entrando en el libro, descubre el gran motivo detr?s del secuestro y m?s detalles concretos de esa relaci?n entre marido y mujer y los dos otros personajes claves. Tambi?n, el lector /la lectora aprende un poco de la ?poca en Espa?a en la que se remonta el libro. Rosa Montero con su estilo ?nico de escribir mantiene el inter?s del lector, que en mi opini?n es una de las grandes calidades de un/a buen/a escritora.

Otro aspecto interesante del libro es el examen de consciencia de la protagonista. A trav?s de las cr?ticas de su propia vida y su descontento f?cilmente uno puede identificarse con su malestar, su decepci?n y el mal momento por el que atraviesa a nivel personal. Lo ?nico malo de este libro es que la trama avanza lentamente por lo tanto demor? en terminarlo.

Otros libros de la autora que recomiendo son:

Cr?nica del desamor, La loca de la casa y Bella y oscura.

I am finally moving on to my summer reading which includes books from Juan Carlos Onetti's collection and hopefully I'll get to read two or three short light hearted novels which includes one from Julia Alvarez' collection. There's plenty to chose from in Spanish literature, you just have to know what you want to read. Don't forget translated literature is recommendable as well since many popular and successful novels in English have been translated into Spanish and they are just as enjoyable. As mentioned many times before it all depends on who (the publishing house for the most part) does the translation.

I also recommend youth literature for those who are not ready to read the more complex novels. Isabel Allende has a youth series and the Harry Potter series is available in Spanish. The first book in the series, La piedra filosofal I received as a gift and over the weekend I purchased the second book, La c?mara secreta so I have some options down the road. I find youth literature refreshing and light because the target audience is different. An author usually changes his/ her style completely because there's much more sensitivity involved. Isabel Allende even mentioned this in her latest novel, La suma de los d?as. In fact, the author stated she will not be writing anymore books in the genre because 'one has to be so careful and there's a lot of censorship'.

If you are looking for some Spanish novels to read and are not quite sure what to buy, here are some of the top selling ones at the moment:

"El juego del ?ngel"- Carlos Ruiz Zaf?n
"Harry Potter y las reliquias de la muerte" - J.K. Rowling
"La llorona" - Marcela Serrano
"La suma de los d?as" - Isabel Allende
"Un d?a de c?lera" - Arturo P?rez Reverte
"Chiquita" - Antonio Orlando Rodr?guez (Premio Alfaguara de Novela 2008)
"Tuya" - Claudia Pi?eiro
"El hombre equivocado" - John Katzenbach

-LDG.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Commentary- Nuestra se?ora de la soledad- Marcela Serrano

Discovering a new author and enjoying his/ her literature is another great facet of having literature as a passion. Marcela Serrano, Chilean and just as reputable as her compatriot Isabel Allende has given me reason to start looking into her literary collection. Marcela figures among Latin America?s top contemporary authors but not having read any of work, I could not recommend her literature other than recognize that she is one of the contemporary favourites.

I purchased Nuestra se?ora de la soledad a few years ago based on the editorial summary at the back of the book. I knew it would be one of those books that I would read on the spur of the moment when the time was right. I started reading the book as part of my mission this summer to read novels from South American authors.

The literary category of the book is una novela policial but what makes it interesting is the protagonist of the story. She is a female in her fifty?s assigned to the case of a missing writer. Keeping in mind the cultural and traditional role of Latin American women, this book indirectly reveals an interesting aspect of how this role and their place in society has changed over the years and is still undergoing change. Chile is considered one of the Latin American countries in which the role of women has evolved. In my own self-expression I would say: el papel de la mujer ha avanzado much?simo y las mujeres tienen la oportunidad de educarse. In comparison, most countries in Central America have not moved in that direction IMO. Education is still lacking and the traditional role of the woman is fully intact.

The story shifts between Mexico and Chile, a place where the protagonist once studied and where the missing writer once lived. C.L Avila, a writer disappeared mysteriously and the investigator, Rosa Alvallay is assigned to the case without any clues. Using her investigative capacity, she uses three key aspects to try to find out about C.L Avila?s disappearance- her habits, her weaknesses and her contacts as a basis for her investigation. The progression of the story is well paced which keeps the reader intrigued as Rosa interviews key characters. This is not your ordinary detective novel. Without giving away any details Marcela Serrano certainly has literary creativity.

I must comment on the language aspect of Marcelo Serrano?s writing because in general language and its usage plays a role in the success of an author?s work and acquiring the interest of literature aficionados. Marcela?s simplicity of usage is definitely one of her biggest attributes. Out from this style, the elegance of her usage of Spanish is revealed. With an excellent and diverse vocabulary and no colloquialisms, any reader can easily identify with Marcela Serrano?s form of expression. Colloquialisms sometimes dissuade readers from reading a novel or prevent complete enjoyment because many of the nuances and subtleties are missed. Overall, Nuestra se?ora de la soledad is a worthwhile read and a great first time sample of Marcela Serrano?s literature.

Marcela currently has a book in the top ten most read books of the week titled Llorona, which I recently purchased because of my impressions of the author after reading Nuestra se?ora de la soledad. Llorona?s underlying principal theme reveals some of the social ills of Latin America. One should ask why is Latin America a region with so many social shortcomings that remain unaddressed. The theme of the book is definitely an outcry to the social injustices.

In a post to follow I hope to discuss the work of some other South American authors from the same region that have made great contributions to Latin American literature. These authors include: Ricardo Piglia (Argentina), Claudia Pi?eiro (Argentina) and Jos? Donoso (Chile).

-LDG.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
New purchases-

Throughout the month of July I went on a book shopping spree. My goal was to buy whatever book caught my attention especially by authors whose work I have not yet read, take advantage of any sales and the opportunity to shop since I was out of town. I also made some purchases online. Once again these additions to my extensive collection now what I call my home library will be books I will have to read for years to come.

In the month of July, I purchased the following novels:
(I also included the nationality of the authors)

1/ La multitud errante- Laura Restrepo (colombiana)
2/ Las viudas de los jueves- Claudia Pi?eiro (argentina)
-This book has been in the weekly top ten this summer many times.

3/ Elena sabe- Claudia Pi?eiro (argentina)
-This book has been in the weekly top ten this summer many times.

4/ El enigma de Paris- Pablo De Santis (argentino)
5/ La llorona- Marcela Serrano (chilena)
-I am currently reading this novel. I will post a comment once finished.

6/ Los adioses- Juan Carlos Onetti (uruguayo)
7/ Cuando ya no importe- Juan Carlos Onetti (uruguayo)
8/ Harry Potter- La c?mara secreta- J. K. Rowling (translated literature)
-I have to read the first book in the series before I can start this one.

9/ De c?mo las muchachas Garc?a perdieron el acento- Julia ?lvarez (Dominican-American- translated literature)

-I purchased the translated version because that?s all they had. I am not too concerned about reading the translation version of the book. It?s very easy to distinguish between a good book and a poor translation and vice versa.

10/ La ciudad ausente- Ricardo Piglia (argentino)
-I have never heard of this author but his credentials were impressive as well as the few pages I read when scrolling through the book. I am looking forward to reading this book hopefully soon.

11/ Lagartija sin cola- Jos? Donoso (chileno)
-This Chilean writer is reputable but may be overshadowed by his counterparts. He?s comparable to some of Latin America?s best including Roberto Bola?o, also Chilean, Alfredo Bryce Echenique (Peruvian), Mario Vargas Llosa (Peruvian) and a similar group of authors.

12/ Para salvar el mundo- Julia ?lvarez (Dominican-American- translated literature)

-see my comment for #9. The same holds true.

13/ Al diablo la maldita primavera- Alonso S?nchez Baute- (colombiano)
14/ El arrecife- Juan Carlos Botero (colombiano)
15/ El mundo (Premio Planeta 2007)- Juan Jos? Millas (espa?ol)
16/ La ciudad de las bestias- Isabel Allende (chilena)
-This is the first book in Allende?s youth series. I have the other two which completes the trilogy.

17/ Cuba y Venezuela ?reflexiones y debates- Germ?n S?nchez
-An intelligent dosage of political content is always good and I try to read some contemporary political material every now and then. This one seemed very interesting since Latin American is undergoing what I call a modern day shift in political preferences and interests but not surprising as history tells the tale of LA. This region has been historically dominated by either extreme izquierdista governments or some sort of mano dura style military regime. Are we going back in time? Food for thought. The author seems to have an in depth insight into the Cuba/ Venezuela relationship and how it will impact the rest of Latin America. I will definitely be tackling this one bit by bit.

18/ Mexican slang plus Graffitti ? a reference book of Mexican slang and other must know vernacular specific to Mexico. It seemed very interesting and easy to read when I browsed through the book. I normally do not let these types of references go because I don?t know if and when I will come across them again.

-I also purchased a few French novels and references as well as an English grammar book that was irresistible.

Needless to say I have plenty of reading to do.

Chao,

-LDG.

Last edited:

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Commentary- La llorona- Marcela Serrano

La llorona
Novela
Marcela Serrano

La Llorona by Marcela Serrano is an intriguing novel because of the theme it addresses. Judging by its popularity in the weekly top ten most read books charts over the past few months and having recently read one of her older novels, my interest in her literature is at its highest.

I think anyone can relate to the subject matter since it touches on a sensitive practice in certain parts of the world, mostly poor countries, which is the trafficking of human organs and/or the selling of newborn babies. In this novel, the protagonist is in search of her child who was declared dead by the hospital a few days after birth but with no proof of death. She later realizes that it?s a scheme as other mothers begin to come forward. Determined to find her child but unsure what to do if she does find her daughter, the reader anxiously reads through the book waiting for the outcome.

The book is very well written in a simplistic but yet elegant Spanish which seems to be a strong element of Marcela Serrano?s writing. How can this practice go unpunished and why is this common in some poor countries of Latin America and around the world? This is definitely a social ill that needs to be brought to the forefront. I don't think Marcela Serrano is trying to be an advocate of social injustice but her book touches on a very important theme. Women need to speak up collectively for the good of future mothers so they do not also become victims. However, the voice of the poor is seldom heard and most of the time ridiculed. Marcela's novel is a realistic depiction of a tragic societal problem. Once you starting reading it will be hard to put it down. This is recommended novel.

-LDG.

Last edited:

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Trying to catch up-

Although I am having one of the worst years for reading, I am trying to get back on track. Time has not been on my side over the last six months however, I am anxious to get back into my regular reading pace. Here's a list of some interesting new titles for those of you who are looking for some good contemporary Spanish literature.

Titles of interest and some new releases:

1/ Instrucciones para salvar el mundo -Rosa Montero (Spain)
-I purchased this novel a few months ago. I have not had the chance to read it yet but I will eventually.

2/ Candela- Rey Emmanuel Andujar (DR)- (mentioned in a few posts above)
-it's finally available on Amazon but a one to two month wait. I will order it though.

3/ La voluntad y la fortuna- Carlos Fuentes (Mexico)
-this is a new release with rave reviews that it's one of his best novels. It's on the way. This may be the first Carlos Fuentes novel that I actually read.

4/ Este que ves- Xavier Velasco (Mexico)
-I read the preview in a newspaper and I was intrigued. It's on the way.

5/ Chiquita- Antonio Orlando Rodriguez (Cuba)
-Premio Alfaguara de novela 2008

6/ El canalla sentimental- Jaime Bayly (Peru)
-It's either you like his novels or not. He has a few weak ones in his repertoire however, this author writes very well and has a unique way of expressing himself in Spanish that I have not seen from other contemporary authors. Labeled as cynical or narcissistic, his writings have a strong message about Peruvian society especially the upper class. It's not available in North America yet but is on my list of upcoming purchases.

None of these books are translated literature.

--LDG.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Review/ Commentary- Nada by Carmen Laforet

Review by Lesley D

Reading Nada by Carmen Laforet was my first taste of post civil war fiction by a Spanish author and it certainly was a unique read. This is just one viewpoint of the post civil war vibe as there are others fiction novels that depict the social sentiment of the time. This book is a recommended read for those who would like to understand the impact the civil war had on the lives of the population without having to read history books per se.

The tone of the novel is clear from the beginning- dreary, melancholy, confusion, uncertainty, economic strife are words that describe Barcelona of the 1940's. The young protagonist goes to live with her extended family in this city and experiences the ups and down of dealing with a dysfunctional traditional Spanish family and being sheltered while searching for her own identity as a young teen without any close family members to confide in. Thanks to the companionship of a close friend Ena, Andrea ascertains a social circle and outlet, makes some friends, in particular some male companions until she branches out on her own to Madrid.

Feeling restricted by her aunt and grandmother, being constantly in the middle of sibling conflict between her uncles, Andrea struggles to find her identity and place in a very difficult economic and social era in Spain. What I like most about the author's writing style is the simplicity which transforms into elegance thus allowing for a very easy flowing read while getting a sense for what was taking place in Spain's post civil war era.

(Just an fyi... I discovered this book at one of the local university campus bookstores. It's one of the novels of a fourth year literature course offered this year. At the beginning of each academic year I like to go to a few campus bookstores to review the booklists).

Moving on. I will be able to read one more novel to close the year.

Canela- Rey Andujar

If anyone is interested in reading Dominican literature in Spanish, you may consider reading this novel by Rey Andujar. I found an article that was posted in a few newspapers when the book was released in February. I think it?s worth sampling and what intrigues me is that it?s only 148 pages which means the plot and characters need to be developed and established right away. I wish people showed the same interest and enthusiasm about Dominican Spanish novels as I have seen on the board for Junot D?az? book written in English. Support Dominican literature in Spanish since in my opinion Dominicans are not well represented in the literary sphere of Latin America?s finest.

Dominicana On Line
La Vida - ?Candela? de Rey And?jar ser? presentada RD

El canalla sentimental- Jaime Bayly

This book is stirring up controversy already just like most of Jaime Bayly?s novels. The commentary posted in El Nuevo Herald makes me even more curious about the book which will be available in North America in January 2009. Despite what the critics and some readers are saying, Jaime B has a way with words and writes in a style paralleled by no other (as far as I know). He was critiqued by Spain?s well known author Juan Mars? for winning El Premio Planeta 2005 for his novel Y de repente un ?ngel which I enjoyed. IMO, it?s not a question of whether he writes well or not, it?s what he writes about that ruffles reader?s feathers.

Here?s the link. It will not be active for long. You can always do a search for the article by the title.

'El canalla sentimental', m?s sentimental que canalla - 11/23/2008 - El Nuevo Herald

-LDG.

Status
Not open for further replies.