Likelihood of Obtaining Visitor Visa To Canada

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It also depends on how you met. You were on holiday in the DR and met her in the resort as she is working there as animation girl?

Most Dominicanas who have a good life in the DR dont want to leave the DR (and wont be interested in a gringo touriithest er).

Hmmmm, you may find that some will dispute that theory.....

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
It also depends on how you met. You were on holiday in the DR and met her in the resort as she is working there as animation girl?

Most Dominicanas who have a good life in the DR dont want to leave the DR (and wont be interested in a gringo tourist either).

Hmmmm, you may find that some will dispute that theory.....

I think he's right WW. There are plenty of Dominicans, male and female, who live a good life here and have no interest in the US. One of Mr. AE's brothers gave up the green card/residency he and his wife had [for a 10 year visa], and another is married to a Dominicana who also gave up her residency [after they were married]. Out of 6 kids, only Mr. AE and his sister live in the US. The others, even cousins, have no interest. They come for vacations, and then go home.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I suppose the key phrase is 'those who have a good life here'

now all we need to do is calibrate how many have a good life here
the privileged middle/upper classes, I can see

The bulk of the population ( IMO ) seeks greener pastures.

your comment, AE, about vacationing in the US applies to a select group.....
visa entitlement, $$$$.... quite a list

Cabrera and Rio san Juan don't have many of those .. Nagua either - just to cite my area on the North Coast

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
A lot more people have visas to the states that one would think. I am sometimes surprised at folks who get them as well, many are not even close to "Middle Class" standards. I am sure that there are lots of folks in Cabrera in particular who come and go.

There is no question that for many people life is easier and there are many benefits to living here. We have done so and enjoyed the benefits but long term feel better raising our family somewhere less insular and elitist.

Ian McClymont

Apr 11, 2015
Yea we have a million pictures together and no didn't meet on a resort and no I'm not 55 and shes 19 l. I am 25 she is 20. We met in a restaurant in the capital. And i stay at her families house when I go down. I am not rich by any means. She would rather me live in the dominican. But i know i have a more comfortable life here. I just wanted her to visit first and get an idea of what it's like here.

Ian McClymont

Apr 11, 2015
And we have been together for a year and a half. And i travel down every two months for 10 days. but because I go down so often I can't afford to put us both up in a resort each time. Plus we both prefer not to be on a resort. Way better to do your own thing. i just don't want to apply and it screwings up for me down the road. Because yes I knwo if can't convince them of her return it's a no go. But I feel I have substantial evidence to prove both us going back together. So i still hope.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I suppose the key phrase is 'those who have a good life here'

now all we need to do is calibrate how many have a good life here
the privileged middle/upper classes, I can see

The bulk of the population ( IMO ) seeks greener pastures.

your comment, AE, about vacationing in the US applies to a select group.....
visa entitlement, $$$$.... quite a list

Cabrera and Rio san Juan don't have many of those .. Nagua either - just to cite my area on the North Coast

Don't get me wrong WW - my in-laws are just middle class Dominicans, one brother probably upper middle. Not Vicinis, not Brugals, just average well-educated-decent-job-holding Santo Domingo Dominicans. And there are a LOT of them in SD. I'm sure it's different away from the capital.

The Dominicans where we live here would sell their first-born child [or two] for a shot at living in the USA. It depends. I'd bet none of them would qualify for a visa to Canada no matter what.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Don't get me wrong WW - my in-laws are just middle class Dominicans, one brother probably upper middle. Not Vicinis, not Brugals, just average well-educated-decent-job-holding Santo Domingo Dominicans. And there are a LOT of them in SD. I'm sure it's different away from the capital.

The Dominicans where we live here would sell their first-born child [or two] for a shot at living in the USA. It depends. I'd bet none of them would qualify for a visa to Canada no matter what.
http://dr1.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1557920

that's what I was getting at AE - the normal Joe - or subnormal if you prefer
the bottom half of the citizenry

which is way more than half......... I suspect

the 80-20 rule works in many cases.........maybe 70-30 or 60-40 here..........but a preponderance is my guess

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
.................that's what I was getting at AE - the normal Joe - or subnormal if you prefer
the bottom half of the citizenry

which is way more than half......... I suspect

the 80-20 rule works in many cases.........maybe 70-30 or 60-40 here..........but a preponderance is my guess

I would go with the 80-20 rule. I am in SD Centro and the people I meet on a daily basis 99% have NO desire whatsoever to live in the USA or Canada. To tell the truth, I don't blame them.

Now cross the river and I bet for the next hour drive 99% of the people would pack they shyte and leave on the first plane booking, if they could.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
we should start a reality show contest offering free passage to No America with visas

how many would show up ? ?

thats a different angle of view..... may change some people's minds here

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
William, if they did THAT, there would be signs at all the airports:......... "Would the last person to leave the Dominican Republic, please turn off the lights"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dominicans who say they don't want to live in the USA, CAN'T!!!!!!
For a variety of reasons.
I've seen how they live in NYC and Boston, I can see why they might want to come back.

Dominicans with USA/CANADA visas, 10 % max.

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
OK... the 90=10 rule...

you're leaning my way Big Boy...... I like it

whisper something in my ear...........

many here don't see it our way.....

great minds think alike

fools seldom differ..............

hahahaha

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
William, if they did THAT, there would be signs at all the airports:......... "Would the last person to leave the Dominican Republic, please turn off the lights"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dominicans who say they don't want to live in the USA, CAN'T!!!!!!
For a variety of reasons.
I've seen how they live in NYC and Boston, I can see why they might want to come back.

Dominicans with USA/CANADA visas, 10 % max.

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

No need for the signs.......... the lights will go off when the luz goes off........

Curacaoleno

Bronze
Apr 26, 2013
Yea we have a million pictures together and no didn't meet on a resort and no I'm not 55 and shes 19 l. I am 25 she is 20. We met in a restaurant in the capital. And i stay at her families house when I go down. I am not rich by any means. She would rather me live in the dominican. But i know i have a more comfortable life here. I just wanted her to visit first and get an idea of what it's like here.

She was 18 when you met? Very young..

Too young to get married if you ask me...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
if you ask me...............

did anybody ask ????

different strokes here..... washed up in their early 20's...........

Ian McClymont

Apr 11, 2015
yes she was just with her cousin having lunch and so was i and i approached them. she holds a 10 year visa to the US but that will not allow her to enter canada. and yes shes not super keen on leaving her country. her family her life. she knows that the american/ canadian dream isnt what its cracked up to be. she has friends that have moved to new york and hate it. went from a nice big house by the beach to a small apartment that costs 5 times more to be struggling more than she was in the DR. so yea i understand there are alot of chapiadoras there as they like to call them lol but she is not one of them . cant even sit and have a drink by yourself in bavaro without being harassed by the women but i find outside of santo domingo and bavaro i dont find these types of women that go hunting for the gringo lol . but ya there still everywhere. i really just want her to eventually have a canadian passport so we can travel and such with less hassle. i think ill put the visitor visa on the back burner for now and just keep going back and forth.